Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

Coaches can only perform with what they've got. Not having a strong NIL program is a fault of the AD, and I don't think it should have any negative reflection on the coach. The school and the AD have to provide the resources, not the other way around. We can't ask our coaches to figure out how to get the resources to be good, and also do everything that they're responsible for to be good. There just isn't the time for that.

There's a reason why national media guys don't jump on Dawkins to be fired from UCF. He, reportedly, has asked for more support from the administration and they've refused. If our administration doesn't put our coaches in a position to succeed in the era of NIL, that's a reflection on the administration.
    So let me ask you this. If we are at the end of the contract of Mills, and NIL is still a problem and we are still finishing in the bottom of the conference, would you want to give Mills an extension? Since he can only perform with what he's got?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

So let me ask you this. If we are at the end of the contract of Mills, and NIL is still a problem and we are still finishing in the bottom of the conference, would you want to give Mills an extension? Since he can only perform with what he's got?
      Using UCF as an example, being in the NIT, occasionally making the tournament, is probably the ceiling for a program that lacks administrative and NIL support. Obviously there's big differences in the conferences each team competes in. If we're a perennial cellar-dweller in the new and improved C-USA, we can't extend him. But, if we're occasionally making a post-season without an NIL infrastructure, he's doing something right.

Comment

• Damn I’m starting to think I might need to check out of here til next season starts. I mean…

the off season has only just begun. This is going to be LONG.

Comment

Using UCF as an example, being in the NIT, occasionally making the tournament, is probably the ceiling for a program that lacks administrative and NIL support. Obviously there's big differences in the conferences each team competes in. If we're a perennial cellar-dweller in the new and improved C-USA, we can't extend him. But, if we're occasionally making a post-season without an NIL infrastructure, he's doing something right.
          I think we are kinda arriving at the same conclusion here. Ultimately he has to do SOMETHING Even if it's not his full responsibility if he wants to continue coaching here. Doesn't matter if the core reason isn't in his control. It ultimately comes down to results. But like you mentioned, what that result level is might be up for debate. I think 99% of will agree though that the level is drastically higher than what we saw this year.

Comment

I think we are kinda arriving at the same conclusion here. Ultimately he has to do SOMETHING Even if it's not his full responsibility if he wants to continue coaching here. Doesn't matter if the core reason isn't in his control. It ultimately comes down to results. But like you mentioned, what that result level is might be up for debate. I think 99% of will agree though that the level is drastically higher than what we saw this year.
            I guess I'm starting to be a little more pessimistic about WSU's ability to be in the position that we were in 10 years ago, or even close to that. I think some people on this board believe that for a coach to be successful, we need similar results to the Marshall era. I don't think people expect a final four, but being a yearly threat to win the conference. I am starting to think that those years have passed us by a bit, largely because we were so far behind on NIL that catching up is nearly impossible.

Our conference is in shambles. The conference this year was ranked closer to the MVC than it was the A10 on KenPom. WSU doesn't provide the traditional college experience that kids are wanting. We no longer have longevity to point to as a program since we're on our third coach in five years. It's just hard to find the advantage that WSU has over other teams, even in our conference, when it comes to recruiting. I think if Mills makes the NIT by year 3, I would probably be happy with that result just because I'm not sure what the ceiling is for the program right now in its current state.

Comment

I guess I'm starting to be a little more pessimistic about WSU's ability to be in the position that we were in 10 years ago, or even close to that. I think some people on this board believe that for a coach to be successful, we need similar results to the Marshall era. I don't think people expect a final four, but being a yearly threat to win the conference. I am starting to think that those years have passed us by a bit, largely because we were so far behind on NIL that catching up is nearly impossible.

Our conference is in shambles. The conference this year was ranked closer to the MVC than it was the A10 on KenPom. WSU doesn't provide the traditional college experience that kids are wanting. We no longer have longevity to point to as a program since we're on our third coach in five years. It's just hard to find the advantage that WSU has over other teams, even in our conference, when it comes to recruiting. I think if Mills makes the NIT by year 3, I would probably be happy with that result just because I'm not sure what the ceiling is for the program right now in its current state.
              I think I want the program to at least be in the conversation for winning the conference and getting an at large bid more often than not. I want February and March to actually matter. I agree it will be tough. I also think while we have some drawbacks we also have some positives that other schools don't (like no football, actual basketball tradition etc)

Comment

I think if Mills makes the NIT by year 3, I would probably be happy with that result just because I'm not sure what the ceiling is for the program right now in its current state.
                If the NIT becomes an acceptable outcome for Wichita State, I will become less and less involved.

Is NIL important? Sure. Is it as massive as some on here seem to think? No. Not unless you're getting the cream of the crop. Most athletes aren't raking in **** tons of money despite what some seem to believe. Those who have always bought players will continue to do so. Not that big of a deal really as they were already doing it as were most of their conference mates.

The goal I have and will always have will be an NCAA team more often than not and not just getting there but winning some games. Final Four every year? Of course not. Should the Sweet 16 be in our grasp more often than not? I think so. No guarantees but I think we should be a program where that doesn't seem like a daunting task when we're seeded.

I seem to be in the minority on here these days, but I still believe we can be that with the right guy in charge.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think I want the program to at least be in the conversation for winning the conference and getting an at large bid more often than not. I want February and March to actually matter. I agree it will be tough. I also think while we have some drawbacks we also have some positives that other schools don't (like no football, actual basketball tradition etc)
                  Does tradition matter if the people who were part of that tradition have very little to do with the program in its current state? I'm not really sure the answer to that question. I work with students who get really excited about a baseball offer from WSU, and many set their goals at getting an offer from WSU. But the kids who are able/want to play at the next level in basketball aren't talking about wanting an offer from WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

If the NIT becomes an acceptable outcome for Wichita State, I will become less and less involved.

I seem to be in the minority on here these days, but I still believe we can be that with the right guy in charge.
                    Do we have the right guy in charge? That’s the million+ dollar question. I’m praying we have the right guy at the right time. I don’t think we have much choice.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Does tradition matter if the people who were part of that tradition have very little to do with the program in its current state? I'm not really sure the answer to that question. I work with students who get really excited about a baseball offer from WSU, and many set their goals at getting an offer from WSU. But the kids who are able/want to play at the next level in basketball aren't talking about wanting an offer from WSU.
                      I get that point. I think that will be a mixed bag if the players care about our history. The part of tradition that helps is the rest of it. I know we ***** and complain about our attendance sucking.. Yet we are still near the top of the conference in attendance ... Even at our "low" level. We have a good atmosphere still even it's not at it's peak. We don't play in a high school sized gym. WSU basketball is still prominent around campus and Wichita whereas football schools focus on football.

Will it matter? Maybe to some.. but no one size fits all here anyways.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Do we have the right guy in charge? That’s the million+ dollar question. I’m praying we have the right guy at the right time. I don’t think we have much choice.
                        I don't think that we do, but I hope I'm wrong and he is the right guy for the job.

Having to go back to the drawing board again in a couple of years doesn't sound like much fun.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Things can spark up fast and die out fast. If Tang has another season next year like this past one, will there be grumblings in Kittyville, despite his phenomenal first season?
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                            Things can spark up fast and die out fast. If Tang has another season next year like this past one, will there be grumblings in Kittyville, despite his phenomenal first season?
                            #EMAW
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              The goal I have and will always have will be an NCAA team more often than not and not just getting there but winning some games. Final Four every year? Of course not. Should the Sweet 16 be in our grasp more often than not? I think so. No guarantees but I think we should be a program where that doesn't seem like a daunting task when we're seeded.
                              That would be excellent. How long the coach that would achieve that would be around is a separate question.

Comment

• Which is more productive for a brand new coach?
                                Go recruit.
                                Meet with both of your teams.
                                Find out which players will potentially transfer out.
                                Help get your family situated.
                                Hire a staff to help in all matters.

Me. Family first, team meetings second, hire staff to help in all matters.

Just curious what others prioritize.

Comment

Working...
                                X