No announcement yet.

Deb Farris: WSU To Look into Bringing Football Back in Next 3-4 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always thought the area south of 17th, especially close to Hillside, was ripe for development and could really add to the campus for students, employees and alumni.

Kirby's Beer Store must stay for certain. How about brining back The Cedar, College Inn and adding a few other bars/restaraunts in the area?

Comment

This isn't 1980 anymore ABC. I dunno how often you've been back to WSU, but south of 17th on Hillside isn't what I'd call an ideal location for campus sprawl.

It's really kind of a shame that the majority of the campus is surrounded by the ghetto. It's kind of a minor miracle we're able to entice traditional students for part of this very reason.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        I'm not sure why the politicians just don't put 1 cent sales tax and maybe raise property taxes. With all the support for football in the community - plenty of money would be raised in a couple years. Why wait 4 years to start the discussion.
        There you go. Stirring the pot....again.

Since we are talking taxes, I think the auto tax should be increased also.
        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
          I've always thought the area south of 17th, especially close to Hillside, was ripe for development and could really add to the campus for students, employees and alumni.

Kirby's Beer Store must stay for certain. How about brining back The Cedar, College Inn and adding a few other bars/restaraunts in the area?
          Developers and imminent domain actions would be required and possibly some subsidy from the local governments.

Developers, government taking of private property and subsidies for developers are not too popular these days with some taxpayes.
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
            Myabe one of those white disk thingies in the urinal
            Those are actually called urinal cakes. And I giggle every time I say it. I don't know why...

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
              Developers and imminent domain actions would be required and possibly some subsidy from the local governments.

Developers, government taking of private property and subsidies for developers are not too popular these days with some taxpayes.
              Nor are they popular with me, as you know.

First, for government to take property for "eco devo" purposes, the entire Kansas Legislature has to approve. Thankfully that is a big hurdle.

Shockerfever, I know what you mean. First of all, there really aren't any other options for any kind of campus focused development except the golf course. Second, there is a decent amount of student housing in the area and such a development would improve it.

I think the area is more safe now than when I attended from 84-88.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                Developers, government taking of private property and subsidies for developers are not too popular these days with some taxpayers.
                Of course, the property you are taking is a factor also. You are not exactly taking any pristine property in that area. Also, it is another assumpiton that may or may not be required. Now getting any private sector participants interested in that area of town might be problematic without some kind of subsidy. But again that may or may not be the case depending on what the overall plan is. A private developer would, however, no doubt need some kind of agreement with the University regarding any student housing.

Apparently, there are REITS that specialize in student housing. One example is American Campus Communities, Inc. (ACC).

Find a student housing community at your college or university. University leaders: Partner with us to develop, finance or manage your student housing community.

Just not sure how attractive WSU would be to private real estate ventures considering our relatively low level of traditional students.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                  Those are actually called urinal cakes. And I giggle every time I say it. I don't know why...
                  But ... can they be monogrammed? I don't need anything fancy; just my first and last name, maybe the year I brought back football with Tom and Charles, and the year I graduated or something.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Apparently, there are REITS that specialize in student housing. One example is American Campus Communities, Inc. (ACC).

http://www.americancampus.com/
                    Whoa, I didn't know this. Veeery interesting.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Whoa, I didn't know this. Veeery interesting.
                      And it is not just big school properties. For example: http://www.americancampus.com/portfolio?propertyId=95

You can check out their properties by clicking on this map: http://www.americancampus.com/portfolio

Comment

We have a similar one already at 29th and Oliver

Comment

Originally posted by dregn View Post
                          We have a similar one already at 29th and Oliver

http://www.gogrove.com/wichita/
                          I have heard rumors that this place is overpriced. Any information about their rates?
                          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                            I have heard rumors that this place is overpriced. Any information about their rates?
                            I have no idea what the current rates are. I knew one person who lived there when they were brand new. At that time it was definitely more than I would have paid, but it was less expensive than on campus housing with the benefit of being a college type environment. I'm the wrong person to ask about overpriced as I spent a good chunk of my time living in an apartment along 16th street just south of campus because I was to cheap to go for something nicer. Only the owner's other 2 apartment complexes along 17th street was a cheaper option than that as far as being close to campus / mostly college student living.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                              Monthly rates as of this spring at The Grove were $513/person for 2 BR unit and $473/person for 3 BR.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

T

...:cool:
                                aka...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X