SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (4-5) vs. WICHITA STATE (7-2) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

A coach like that would lose significant numbers of players every year to the portal. Just like WSU was losing significant numbers of players every year even before the portal existed.

Burton, Sherfield, and Fernandez were all held "accountable" under the coaching staff when they were here. How did that work out?
    EVERYONE is losing players to the portal, Nice guys, mean guys, all of them. Where are the players going? To winning programs that’s where. Winning Coaches attract winning players. That’s the only place good transfers and recruits are going to go with sufficient pay. You can’t design, think or strategize basketball players into playing better. You can’t talk nicely or negotiate them into playing better. They either are self driven like Baker, FVV or Tekele, or you have to be in the middle of their asses several times a week. You are fooling yourself if you think the best coaches aren’t doing that Right Now! The good players want their Coach to do whatever they can to get them playing their best.

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
      Honesty he took over pretty late, so i figured the talent level for this season was going to low. I think hes actually done a decent job for the talent he has. I do like the 2 guards we have coming in next year, I wish they could play right now plus we will have Bijan.
      Yea, I like the freshman guards coming in... but they probably shouldn't be expected to be impact on Day 1 ... because well .. they are freshman. Where Mills will have to earn his pay is in the portal in the spring. If we don't land some impact guys there, we are likely looking at another up and down year next year too.

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
        Honesty he took over pretty late, so i figured the talent level for this season was going to low. I think hes actually done a decent job for the talent he has. I do like the 2 guards we have coming in next year, I wish they could play right now plus we will have Bijan.
        Looks good on paper. We need a big or 2 to take over after Ballard and Pohto leave and these guys don't grow on trees and also need a year or 2 to develop.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
          If I read Taylor correctly, Mills took the blame for 'low energy play' because HE was low energy ....inexcusable! I love Mills but there is no excuse for that comment.
          He may be going with the adage that a good coach takes the blame for the loss and credits the players with the win. Very non-Deion of him.

PS-Didn't see this story with that quote linked on here:
          Last edited by shockrah; December 11, 2023, 02:58 PM.
          Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

They tried that before and pissed off a lot of season ticket holders because they didn't feel their seats were equivalent to what that had at CKA. I had a much better seat than what I had at the Roundhouse that year.
            Bet those season ticket holders would now like a mulligan on that vibe......

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
              The good players want their Coach to do whatever they can to get them playing their best.
              I'm not sure in the NIL/portal era I believe that as much as I did a decade ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

I'm not sure in the NIL/portal era I believe that as much as I did a decade ago.
                they all going to the league. It's the coach/team/system holding them back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Or players looking for an easier path. Not everyone is willing to pay the price for being their best version. It's not easy and at times painful.

Comment

• Eldridge article, "How Paul Mills wants Wichita State basketball to learn from a ‘huge dose of humility’":

The Shockers want to ensure a low-energy game like the one last weekend in a loss to South Dakota State doesn’t happen again.
                    Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Just ask TP, he'll confirm that.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockrah View Post
                        Eldridge article, "How Paul Mills wants Wichita State basketball to learn from a ‘huge dose of humility’":

https://news.yahoo.com/paul-mills-wa...ycsrp_catchall
                        Well....you either win...or you learn. You never lose...said one pretty famous South African.
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

Well....you either win...or you learn. You never lose...said one pretty famous South African.
                          Not a philosphy I would particular embrace if I were a coach. I would want my team learnign whether or not they win or lose. And your better if you are going to be a good team. I don't the you can really say that the 35-1 2013-14 Shocks did not learn anything during the season until their final game.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not a philosphy I would particular embrace if I were a coach. I would want my team learnign whether or not they win or lose. And your better if you are going to be a good team. I don't the you can really say that the 35-1 2013-14 Shocks did not learn anything during the season until their final game.
                            Oh you won't get any argument from me about that and would totally endorse the not losing motto. More referring to this years team with new coach, system and players. But yeah...just WIN baby!!!
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                            X