No announcement yet.

New NCAA initiative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Title IX and bringing NIL under school control will really complicates how this can be adminisbert at the individual athlete level.

How will SMU generate enough revenue to compete without TV money. The had to know something like this was a future possibility.

I may be wrong, but this does not generate more revenue. So the money that will go directly to the athletes will reduce the available funds for whatever those funds support today.

I don't watch pro sports, so this will create another pro league I won't watch, but at my age, I am not sure anyone but my wife cares.

Comment

Maybe a pro team can adopt a college team and place potential NBA types on their team ...Oh wait G league.

Comment

One of the questions I had was it seemed that this was a football centric proposal but in an article today they not only talked about the power schools but also how it would include basketball only schools like the beast of which WSU fits into that profile. Still looks like it is a 4.5 mil fee each year for WSU to be included in "the club". How can WSU afford something like this? Well it will take awhile to get any thing organized by the ncaa and we will be that much close to not having to pay coaches not to coach. Just saying it seems like a large obstacle but what is the cost of not doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
          One of the questions I had was it seemed that this was a football centric proposal but in an article today they not only talked about the power schools but also how it would include basketball only schools like the beast of which WSU fits into that profile. Still looks like it is a 4.5 mil fee each year for WSU to be included in "the club". How can WSU afford something like this? Well it will take awhile to get any thing organized by the ncaa and we will be that much close to not having to pay coaches not to coach. Just saying it seems like a large obstacle but what is the cost of not doing it.
          I am not convinced that WSU fits the profile to be included in the club. This club is, for all intents and purposes, for those big football schools that rake in the huge stash of media cash and/or have very well-healed mega-donors wanting to feel like they own a sports franchise WSU has neither at this point.

Plus right now WSU is already behind the 8-ball and struggling to re-engage it's fan base financially, a decent chunk who have already hit or surpassed their financial limits at a time when it is already paying for 3 high paid basketball coaches and 2 high paid baseball coaches.

What has been the impact on SASO fundraising from the decline in sales of MBB season tickets?

Are you convinced that the cost of not participating exceeds the cost of participating? I am not there at this point.

Perhaps one benefit of not participating is fiscal sanity.

This new division is clearly the creation of a new professional sports league and should be treated as such with no special anti-trust carve outs or income tax breaks. That means all income and benefits received by the players will be subject to Federal and State income taxes (have fun with the multi-state income taxes) and FICA taxes (7.65% paid by the athlete/employee and 7.65% paid by the school/employer. One way to help a little bit with funding my Social Security and Medicare.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I am not convinced that WSU fits the profile to be included in the club. This club is, for all intents and purposes, for those big football schools that rake in the huge stash of media cash and/or have very well-healed mega-donors wanting to feel like they own a sports franchise WSU has neither at this point.

Plus right now WSU is already behind the 8-ball and struggling to re-engage it's fan base financially, a decent chunk who have already hit or surpassed their financial limits at a time when it is already paying for 3 high paid basketball coaches and 2 high paid baseball coaches.

What has been the impact on SASO fundraising from the decline in sales of MBB season tickets?

Are you convinced that the cost of not participating exceeds the cost of participating? I am not there at this point.

This new division is clearly the creation of a new professional sports league and should be treated as such with no special anti-trust carve outs or income tax breaks. That means all income and benefits received by the players will be subject to Federal and State income taxes (have fun with the multi-state income taxes) and FICA taxes (7.65% paid by the athlete/employee and 7.65% paid by the school/employer. One way to help a little bit with funding my Social Security and Medicare.
            You're also talking about things like workman's compensation, and a Health Plan for each athlete/employee (both men and women). If the player is hurt and never allowed to play again, what will their compensation be then for the remainder of their academic career? Baker wants a law to spell everything out so no more suits will happen.

Comment

Here is additional questions regarding your question of who fits this profile.

Do P4 schools like KSU, ISU, Cinnicinnatti, Houston, SMU, Arizona State, Washington State, Oregon State, Georgia Tech, etc. fit the profile on paying their athletes and fitting this profile? There may only be approximately 30 schools or so, who can actually afford to be in this "club".
              Last edited by Shockm; December 8, 2023, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                If you are sitting on a massive endowment, you can survive just fine. But if not ...
                There are so many ways to run with this comment ....

Comment

Yup, there is already a model to follow .. its the Pro leagues. But that would require things like revenue sharing, players associations to agree to all the terms, good and bad, etc etc. They are trying to get all the benefits of the pro leagues while retaining all the benefits of the current college game.

Comment

Not every athlete in every sport is getting 30k.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yup, there is already a model to follow .. its the Pro leagues. But that would require things like revenue sharing, players associations to agree to all the terms, good and bad, etc etc. They are trying to get all the benefits of the pro leagues while retaining all the benefits of the current college game.
                      Exactly.

Comment

If you are sitting on a massive endowment, you can survive just fine. But if not ...
                        Survive, sure. But in my experience it can be quite painful (as can a kick to the grapes). You learn to avoid sitting on it.

Comment

'Enough Is Enough': New Plan Introduced to Tax University Endowments

Arizona Republican Congressman Eli Crane has introduced legislation to tax massive endowments held by the country's elitist academic institutions as their leaders repeatedly fail to offer moral clarity on a variety of issues.

Untaxed university endowments have long been questioned for a change in status.

"With assets totaling $411 billion, the nation's college and university endowments are larger than the annual gross domestic product of Belgium. That's enough money to run the federal government for nearly 50 days. Harvard alone has $35 billion. They pay their managers like rock stars, and, as a group, they've been growing at a double-digit rate by making riskier investments," Bloomberg reported in 2008. "Their ostensible purpose, providing for the financial needs of their institutions, gets a sliver of the total each year, about 4.6% of assets. And they're tax-exempt to boot."

It will never happen but it should. Plus these endowment funds should be where the government gets the money to pay for Biden's massive student loan forgiveness schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            4.5 Million is the starting price. That "fee" will increase every year.

Comment

'Enough Is Enough': New Plan Introduced to Tax University Endowments

Arizona Republican Congressman Eli Crane has introduced legislation to tax massive endowments held by the country's elitist academic institutions as their leaders repeatedly fail to offer moral clarity on a variety of issues.

Untaxed university endowments have long been questioned for a change in status.

"With assets totaling $411 billion, the nation's college and university endowments are larger than the annual gross domestic product of Belgium. That's enough money to run the federal government for nearly 50 days. Harvard alone has $35 billion. They pay their managers like rock stars, and, as a group, they've been growing at a double-digit rate by making riskier investments," Bloomberg reported in 2008. "Their ostensible purpose, providing for the financial needs of their institutions, gets a sliver of the total each year, about 4.6% of assets. And they're tax-exempt to boot."

It will never happen but it should. Plus these endowment funds should be where the government gets the money to pay for Biden's massive student loan forgiveness schemes.
                              I think everyone left, right and in-between will be shocked by this.

Comment

The government doesn't need more money. They need to spend less of it. A lot less of it.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X