Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan
    replied
    If we're comparing 3G to PM styles, 3G and his entire staff were coaching players the entire game. Shouting out orders, things to watch, etc. A number of players have gone on record to say it's very difficult to play with that type of constant yelling/coaching, at least until they figure out the system and aren't getting barked at as much. PM, on the other hand, has said a number of times that he does most of his coaching at practice and once they get to the games, it's up to the players to execute the game plan. I'm sure there's a balance between the two methods, but that's what we're seeing. As for IB, I have no idea what his philosophy was.

Leave a comment:

• molly jabali
    replied
    Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Mills watches what's happening during the game. Then he's prepared for timeouts. IB huddled with his assistants through half of the timeouts. Players are held accountable in practices and especially in the film room.

Yelling at players during games and chewing ass during timeouts is probably not a good coaching strategy with the transfer portal right there at the end of the season.

A good defense can produce a lot of turnovers when defenders are allowed to grab a ball handlers dribbling arm with one hand and swipe at the ball with the other hand. Throwing an arm across a shooting arm when a player is driving for a layup will cause the ball to fly out of bounds under the basket. Then there's the strategy of bumping a dribbler hard enough that the dribblers hand is no longer where the ball is going to bounce to,
    I know it's a VERY small sample size( one game) but Mills did the EXACT same thing as IB did....gathered his coaches, talked and THEN addressed his boys....now, no doubt what he told his boys was more effective

Leave a comment:

• Shocker Dude
    replied
    Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
    If I would known our situation what I see now preseason, and you told me that we would be 7-2 now, would I be Shocked and Happy. YES,!!! AND YES!!!
    HereHere! Also I have been watching Cortes on the bench. He may be the most engaged player sitting on it. Especially knowing he will not be playing.

Leave a comment:

• ABC
    replied
    Originally posted by Aargh View Post

The rules have changed since Stallworth played. Now if a player plays any part of a season it counts as the whole season.

I think Baker fell into that category. He sat until the MVC tourney, which was second semester, but that second semester only year for him was his entire Fr season.
    Baker played a handful of games at the beginning of the season before he got hurt.

Leave a comment:

• shock
    replied
    Originally posted by Rize Ballz View Post
    Still have no idea why Grill was booted at Iowa State before the season even ended. Must’ve been something non negotiable.
    I would boot him off my team for that awful man bun

Leave a comment:

• Kel Varnsen
    replied
    Originally posted by pogo View Post
    I wish some one like TE would compile a short video showing some of the action each game. I used to appreciate short clips and him then explaining just what the hell was going on.
    He does that on his Twitter account. Literally all the time.
    Last edited by Kel Varnsen; December 4, 2023, 10:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pogo
    replied
    I wish some one like TE would compile a short video showing some of the action each game. I used to appreciate short clips and him then explaining just what the hell was going on.

Leave a comment:

• Aargh
    replied
    Mills watches what's happening during the game. Then he's prepared for timeouts. IB huddled with his assistants through half of the timeouts. Players are held accountable in practices and especially in the film room.

Yelling at players during games and chewing ass during timeouts is probably not a good coaching strategy with the transfer portal right there at the end of the season.

A good defense can produce a lot of turnovers when defenders are allowed to grab a ball handlers dribbling arm with one hand and swipe at the ball with the other hand. Throwing an arm across a shooting arm when a player is driving for a layup will cause the ball to fly out of bounds under the basket. Then there's the strategy of bumping a dribbler hard enough that the dribblers hand is no longer where the ball is going to bounce to,

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

You must be blind if you think he is more subdued than IB.
    Nope definitely he definitely is .. just think some people are reaching a bit in really weird spots. As stated .. its not a bad thing at all.

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I'll 100% give you the bench involvement. Team is definitely jelling better too .. But Mills is definitely subdued even more than IB. Like I said, that's not a bad thing though.
    You must be blind if you think he is more subdued than IB.

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    replied
    This game went about how I anticipated it would go. Way too many TO's but credit Mizzou's defense and style of play. I was impressed with how the Shox never gave up and kept fighting to keep it close most of the way and claw their way back in to it. Another good rebounding game. That is all effort and this team does not lack in the effort department.

Leave a comment:

• Rize Ballz
    replied
    What is a concern is with only seven playing and no PG we will become easier and easier to scout. Cortes really needs to become eligible or the bottom could fall out by January.

Leave a comment:

• molly jabali
    replied
    Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    I came away feeling better about the team and direction of the program than before the game. They were undermanned. They were in a tough environment and not getting a lot of breaks (#roadgamesarehard). They have some glaring weaknesses.

But they never folded. They just kept plugging away.

Keep at it.
    Great assessment...they were in it until the end and they ARE undermanned.

Face it, this is a mildly undertalented, patchwork, put together late team with not much room for error.If people believe this is a tourney team, they are delusional. BUT they are working to rebuild a culture(I really hate that word) that should show great results NEXT year.

That said...miracles DO happen!

Leave a comment:

• ShockHat
    replied
    Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

Your description of Mizzou matches Memphis fairly well also. If we want to generate the program rebuilding and ticket-selling momentum we all want to see, we probably need to either A) beat one of K-State/KU and/or B) challenge for 2nd or 3rd in the conference with a win or two against FAU/Memphis. Not saying that can't or won't happen, but most of the success of this season hinges on being able to beat a veteran, athletic team, that knows how to create turnovers. Hope they can figure it out. IB never could the last two seasons.
    honestly, I want the in over Memphis as bad as I do KU. Despise the few fans I’ve met, the overall vibe of the program with Penny. It’s killed me that they’ve ran the table on us since we joined the AAC.

i want mills to put that to a bloody end.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Originally posted by Husker4Shockers View Post
    An observation and a question:

1) As one of the dad's used to holler during my son's high school games: "Too much damn dribbling!"
    2) Why do you have the shortest guy on the team throwing the ball in when he can't seem to get it over whoever is guarding the in-bounds?
    I think the same way. Bell is not a very good passer anyway and he's thrown away several balls from the inbounds.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X