No announcement yet.

WICHITA STATE (7-1) at MISSOURI (6-2) Pregame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This would be a very nice win and confidence builder this early in the season.

Shockers by 7.

Comment

Here's the deal.. WSU didn't play quite as well as I remembered versus Missouri last Season. We lost 88 to 84 in OT. WSU had 20 turnovers to their 8. We only had 3 steals but they got 16. Now Shocker Ronnie DeGray played 11 minutes and scored 4-pts. for Missouri. Together, Ballard and KP combined for 4 pts. X. Bell scored 12 pts. In 19 minutes.

Missouri lost 3 key starters.. They have solid guards and shoot 35.7 3 pt. % and 74.2% on throws as a team. Caleb Grill is playing for them averaging 7.9 ppg. Sean East is their top scorer and a laser accurate shooter with a 58.8% on 3 pointers and 80% on throws. Noah Carter and Nick Honor both average in double figures.

Dennis Gates can recruit and coach. Missouri is 6-2. This would be a prestigious road win against a SEC that landed 4th last Season at 11-7 and 25-10 overall. Lindy's only picked them preseason at 13th out of 14 teams.

A winnable game but only if the Shockers play one of their best team games this Season thusfar. Working their inside out game is of essence IMO.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

76-68 shox

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

My son just bought two tickets to the Missouri game for $16 total. Must be nice to have all that SEC football TV money.
          Or a grasp on the concept of supply and demand.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

Or a grasp on the concept of supply and demand.
            With football leading the way monetarily, they can afford to have that concept.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

With football leading the way monetarily, they can afford to have that concept.
              I wonder how many potential sales are turned away by overpriced tickets? And by sales, that’s extended to apparel and concession sales too?

I don’t think some realize how much damage was done by Marshall being let go, Brown running it back into the ground, and the stupid monkey virus scaring everyone off. It’s gonna take a whole lot of winning and NCAA relevance to drive people back into the building again.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I wonder how many potential sales are turned away by overpriced tickets? And by sales, that’s extended to apparel and concession sales too?

I don’t think some realize how much damage was done by Marshall being let go, Brown running it back into the ground, and the stupid monkey virus scaring everyone off. It’s gonna take a whole lot of winning and NCAA relevance to drive people back into the building again.
                Totally agree. However, financially, we're in a Catch 22. Maybe a lot of things triggered Catch 22s. Certainly, we lost with the double barrel shot of firing Marshall (not saying that it was wrong) and hiring Brown. Firing Marshall cost us a lot more than just ticket sales (maybe some big donors) and we're still strapped with his "pay-off". Brown was not a "wow" hire, even a good one having to follow in the footsteps of Marshall. And, yes, we're still paying for that mistake (thanks Boatwrong).

Try to hang on to an aging season ticketholder base with having their offspring start over with points/seating while paying as much or more than their parents. Fully knowing that "business season ticket holders" can change hands but have no starting over. One group appears not to have the pull, so losing families' next generation should not be a surprise.

Then, there is TV....big TVs. The "I can usually enjoy the game at home" or out with my buddies or our friends.

I believe we made a very good hire with our new AD. This should all be within his bailiwick.

Comment

Mizzou will spread us out in much the same way Liberty did. We'll see how much we've learned/can adapt to in this game.

For us to be successful, this feels like a game that CR is going to have to be huge.

I've enjoyed doing some in depth scouts so far this season but can't here. From what I've seen of Mizzou, I believe they are well coached and have pieces to be successful but are missing some of last year's toughness and teamwork (at least so far). Nick Honor is tough as nails. Grill seems to be off his game just a touch as does Noah Carter. They'll probably light us up though. Carter was excellent last year vs the Shocks.

If we can improve the defense and find a way to defend against the spread, we have enough talent to win this game. Still a big if on the road against an opponent that's at least as talented as we are and certainly deeper and older. Actually, it's hard to imagine an older NCAA team out there. Noah Carter will be making his 127th appearance in his career. They could be starting all 5th and 6th year graduates against us. Vanover is in his one tens number of games, and his 4th school (started at Cal in 2018, then Arkansas, then ORU and now Mizzou). Nick Honor will play in game 132 at his 3rd school (Forham, Clemson and now Mizzou). Grill is in game 125 at 4 schools (if you count Iowa State twice, which I do). Sean East game 132 at his 4th school (UMASS, Bradley, John Logan, Mizzou). John Tonje will be playing his 128th game after being a 1000+ scorer at Colorado State.

I realize our guys were much, much better players, but think about how savvy Ron and Fred were after playing 127 and 141 games.

Play hard, stay healthy, keep taking good shots and find a way to get better on D and we should be in the game late, at least.

Comment

I was very disappointed we couldn't get Grill - bet he goes off on us. Missou 83-76 but I'd love some crow for dinner

Comment

He had 13 chances to come here, never did. The hate must be strong with this one.

Comment

There were no official offers / chances that I know of. I just hate missing out on local kids especially when the dad actually played and started here. Too late now.

Comment

Didn’t we recruit Grill when Mark Turgeon was coach?
                          Last edited by Rize Ballz; December 2, 2023, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                            There were no official offers / chances that I know of. I just hate missing out on local kids especially when the dad actually played and started here. Too late now.
                            Let me just say (and I'm going to leave at that) .... I don't believe that he was ever going to play for WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Rize Ballz View Post
                              Didn’t recruit Grill when Mark Turgeon was coach?
                              Randy Smithson recruit

Comment

Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

Randy Smithson recruit
                                Chris played 2 years of Juco ball, his junior year at Marist, and senior year at WSU for Randy after setting out a year.

Comment

Working...
                                X