Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• When I had season tickets, I remember muttering "Never again" several times while walking from CKA to east of Eck when it was 20 degrees (or less) with a 30 mph north wind blowing.

Is there a reliable shuttle that runs from Innovation (Braeburn) to CKA and back. I could see dropping a few bucks at Social Tap while waiting for the traffic to die down.

Shuttle from 29th and Woodlawn is another option.

I can't afford to buy season tickets that would get decent parking. Well, I could, but I'd have to sell my house. Not to afford the tickets, but to cover the expenses and property splits of the divorce that would be coming my way if I did that.

The pandemic ended social activities for a lot of older people. I'm involved in bridge games around Wichita. Pre-covid the average age of a bridge player in Wichita was 72. That makes for a realistic comparison to a lot of the fans who used to fill CKA. Post-covid the active bridge players in town dropped by nearly 50%. That loss in participation has been attributed to deaths, "aging out" (don't drive, dementia, aches and pains, etc,), and having found other avenues for social activities and entertainment.

The same thing is likely to have affected attendance at CKA, and those affected that way are not coming back. Finding replacements for those who were lost during covid is what has to be done. I think Saal is taking a good approach, but convincing someone with a family of 4 to buy season tickets is convincing them to drop a significant amount of money

The athletic department also lost 2 years of recruiting new fans during covid, although with the AD and coach at that time, covid wasn't the only factor.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
          One of the few dunks I still remember.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Comment

• I know a few people have mentioned (and/or have concerns about) the short bench, but I think it might actually be a good thing at helping the players and this team find a rhythm.

I hate to mention the program in the NE part of the state, but The Rug is a heck of a coach (pains me to say), and he typically only plays 7-8 guys a game as well; and that's when having 4*-5* players sitting there waiting to come in.

Having BC back and having a true PG will be nice, but the teaming is gelling now and extending the bench out to 10-12 most nights I think would be a detriment at this current point in time/
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                I know a few people have mentioned (and/or have concerns about) the short bench, but I think it might actually be a good thing at helping the players and this team find a rhythm.

I hate to mention the program in the NE part of the state, but The Rug is a heck of a coach (pains me to say), and he typically only plays 7-8 guys a game as well; and that's when having 4*-5* players sitting there waiting to come in.

Having BC back and having a true PG will be nice, but the teaming is gelling now and extending the bench out to 10-12 most nights I think would be a detriment at this current point in time/
                I was thinking about this today. When/if he comes back this year, who do you take minutes from? HB is becoming a pretty good pg, CR is too much of an offensive threat, and for all the flack XB gets, he's starting to figure it out and is a large part of our offense as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

I was thinking about this today. When/if he comes back this year, who do you take minutes from? HB is becoming a pretty good pg, CR is too much of an offensive threat, and for all the flack XB gets, he's starting to figure it out and is a large part of our offense as well.
                  XB probably gets moved to the bench.

He'd be a great piece going on with IA and DR.
                  The Assman

Comment

I know a few people have mentioned (and/or have concerns about) the short bench, but I think it might actually be a good thing at helping the players and this team find a rhythm.

You jumped from 7-8 guys in rotation to 10-12. Right now we have 7 in the rotation and with Bijan we would move to 8. With possible injuries, and foul problems each game, 8 seems like a minimum and 9 ideal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You jumped from 7-8 guys in rotation to 10-12. Right now we have 7 in the rotation and with Bijan we would move to 8. With possible injuries, and foul problems each game, 8 seems like a minimum and 9 ideal.
                      I said 7-8 is working well, instead of trying to get minutes for everyone (JI, JJ, YB) and spreading the minutes too thin.

If others can get minutes in blowouts or when someone is tweaked/injured or sick, groovy.
                      The Assman

Comment

• Great win. Never really in doubt. I continue to be impressed with the guards play. 12 assists and four steals with just four TO's. How does the box score only have two blocks for QB. I swear he had at least double that. 16 assists on 32 FG with just 6 team TO's is really good. Outrebounded Richmond 41/20 also. Night and day from last years team.

Comment

I said 7-8 is working well, instead of trying to get minutes for everyone (JI, JJ, YB) and spreading the minutes too thin.

If others can get minutes in blowouts or when someone is tweaked/injured or sick, groovy.
                          There's little value in guys getting in at the end of games in blowouts when the focus and execution are gone. Those moves are to get starters off their feet for a bit or to reward walk-ons/end of bench personnel for their practice time. A minute or two during those times do nothing for development and understanding of the game plans and how to execute.

And playing Joy for 5-10 minutes isn't going to spread anything too thin and will pay much greater benefits down the road when he's desperately needed due to foul trouble or injuries.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                            Great win. Never really in doubt. I continue to be impressed with the guards play. 12 assists and four steals with just four TO's. How does the box score only have two blocks for QB. I swear he had at least double that. 16 assists on 32 FG with just 6 team TO's is really good. Outrebounded Richmond 41/20 also. Night and day from last years team.
                            I have to admit that after the Shocks jumped out to a 16-3 lead in the first 6 minutes and then watching Richmond chip away to make it 33-31 at the half including cutting the lead from 10 to 2 when Richmond starting center Neal Quinn went to the bench for the final 7 minutes of the half that I was no where close to doubt-free. The game for me was still very much in doubt with Richmond trailing by 3 at 46-43 at which point the Shocks went on a 10-0 run over the next 3 minutes to make it 56-43 after which Richmond neve got closer to 11 and the Shocks pretty much answered just about every basket Richmond made. I think my put it in the deep freeze play was Q's put back dunk of Colby's miss with 3:38 to play putting the Shocks up 76-60.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 30, 2023, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I have to admit that after the Shocks jumped out to a 16-3 lead in the first 6 minutes and then watching Richmond chip away to make it 33-31 at the half including cutting the lead from 10 to 2 when Richmond starting center Neal Quinn went to the bench for the final 7 minutes fo the half that I was no where close to doubt-free. The game for me was still very much in doubt with Richmond trailing by 3 at 46-43 at which point the Shocks went on a 10-0 run over the next 3 minutes to make it 56-43 after which Richmond neve got closer to 11 and the Shocks pretty much answered just about every basket Richmond made. I think my put it in the deep freeze play was Q's put back dunk of Colby's miss with 3:38 to play putting the Shocks up 76-60.
                              Fair points. I just could see how the team was playing and it gave me enough confidence to know this wasn't like previous teams who could pi$$ a game away like no team I have ever seen.

Comment

• nm

Comment

Working...
                                X