Clear All

• WICHITA STATE (5-1) vs. NORFOLK STATE (4-2) Pregame Discussion

Saturday, Nov. 25 | 6:00 p.m. CT
    Wichita, Kan. | Charles Koch Arena

TV: ESPN+ (Shane Dennis & Bob Hull)
    Radio: KEYN 103.7 FM with Mike Kennedy & Dave Dahl

**** ESPN+

Comment

Their 4-2 record is deceiving. Currently #293 on Kenpom. Two Non-D1 wins along with Hampton (KP 312) and FGCU (KP 203). Losses to Fordham (KP 206) and San Jose State (KP 122) that weren't close.

Comment

Is it better to play norfolk st or friends lol
        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
          Their 4-2 record is deceiving. Currently #293 on Kenpom. Two Non-D1 wins along with Hampton (KP 312) and FGCU (KP 203). Losses to Fordham (KP 206) and San Jose State (KP 122) that weren't close.
          I think our record might be a touch deceiving too.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Rest Beverly. More Germany and Joy ! 94-75

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I think our record might be a touch deceiving too.
              Why do you hate Mills?

Am I doing it right?
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

duplication

Comment

Been waiting for this moment all my life. There's nor folking way the Shox lose this game. But if they did lose...

Comment

Good time to work on the bench and zone defense

Comment

Wichita Shockers - 76

Norfolk and Waypal - 60
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Here's the deal. The 4-2 NSU Spartans have 3 more total turnovers than assists. They shoot .417 from the field with a .305 shooting % on 3's. Jamarll is their leading scorer at 17.3. Ppg. Their losses were to St. Jose St. and Fordham. These warriors will become 0-2 against our Shockers. The toughest part of our Non-Con is just around the corner so "now is the time" for the Shockers to not take this team lightly, but to develop our thin depth and play smart.

Green and Gold-----68

Black and Yellow -77

Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Norfolk State is the last of the non con games scheduled that I've been able to watch, at least a little.

It's not coach speak when I tell you this isn't a gimmie. I'm not going to sit here and tell you this is a top 100 team, clearly they aren't. But they aren't toothless either. They play hard, they have some height and girth. They are very athletic for a small school team.

They're not terribly disciplined as they will fire up a quick look but they also run some nice sets and cut to the basket a lot more effectively than we do at this point. They could get better shots if they show a little more discipline.

# 7 Mading is a poor man's Earl Jones (IYKYK). He likes to hang around the arc at a legit 6'9"-6'10". #8 Blandon comes off the bench at 6'9"+ and can move for a big guy and handle it a little (again, especially for a big guy).

They are old with 4 grad transfers (3 play a lot) 2 seniors and a bunch of juniors that include their best scorer #6 Thomas who does a little of everything for them. Over 40% from the floor and 3, gets to the line a ton and is 41-47 from the charity stripe even though his shot mechanics are terrible). They go at least 10 deep and have no problem playing 11, 12 or 13 extended minutes. They will do a run and jump type trap in the half court with Mading and his length will cause problems.

I watched their game against FGCU. FGCU isn't horrible and by horrible I mean last 75ish type team. They've been mostly competitive against a solid schedule. The game vs Norfolk started 11-2 FGCU, Norfolk took a TO and took control of the game. Norfolk led by 10 at half and as much as 19 early in the 2nd half before becoming complacent and letting FGCU back in it.

In general, Norfolk has some size, plenty of athleticism, is very, very deep, has marginal discipline, doesn't block out as well as they should and wants to get up and down the court, and has the ability to do just that. I would say they have a few too many guys that think they are better than they really are.

Is this a team we should beat? Absolutely. If we stand around on offense they will likely give us fits the entire game. They can score and they do enough scheming to cause problems and they have the depth to make things very difficult for a team already shorthanded.

A Thanksgiving hangover and looking ahead to more name brand opponents could easily be parlayed into a very disappointing Saturday game.
                          Last edited by WuDrWu; November 24, 2023, 02:18 PM. Reason: Can't read a calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Norfolk State is the last of the non con games scheduled that I've been able to watch, at least a little.

It's not coach speak when I tell you this isn't a gimmie. I'm not going to sit here and tell you this is a top 100 team, clearly they aren't. But they aren't toothless either. They play hard, they have some height and girth. They are very athletic for a small school team.

They're not terribly disciplined as they will fire up a quick look but they also run some nice sets and cut to the basket a lot more effectively than we do at this point. They could get better shots if they show a little more discipline.

# 7 Mading is a poor man's Earl Jones (IYKYK). He likes to hang around the arc at a legit 6'9"-6'10". #8 Blandon comes off the bench at 6'9"+ and can move for a big guy and handle it a little (again, especially for a big guy).

They are old with 4 grad transfers (3 play a lot) 2 seniors and a bunch of juniors that include their best scorer #6 Thomas who does a little of everything for them. Over 40% from the floor and 3, gets to the line a ton and is 41-47 from the charity stripe even though his shot mechanics are terrible). They go at least 10 deep and have no problem playing 11, 12 or 13 extended minutes. They will do a run and jump type trap in the half court with Mading and his length will cause problems.

I watched their game against FGCU. FGCU isn't horrible and by horrible I mean last 75ish type team. They've been mostly competitive against a solid schedule. The game vs Norfolk started 11-2 FGCU, Norfolk took a TO and took control of the game. Norfolk led by 10 at half and as much as 19 early in the 2nd half before becoming complacent and letting FGCU back in it.

In general, Norfolk has some size, plenty of athleticism, is very, very deep, has marginal discipline, doesn't block out as well as they should and wants to get up and down the court, and has the ability to do just that. I would say they have a few too many guys that think they are better than they really are.

Is this a team we should beat? Absolutely. If we stand around on offense they will likely give us fits the entire game. They can score and they do enough scheming to cause problems and they have the depth to make things very difficult for a team already shorthanded.

A Thanksgiving hangover and looking ahead to more name brand opponents could easily be parlayed into a very disappointing Sunday game.
                            That’s a good synopsis of NSU, thanks.

But, the game is 6pm Saturday and coming on the backend of a potential 6” snow will bring another set of challenges to the fans who do attend and the ops people at WSU on a holiday weekend.

I will be there, whatever comes our way.

Comment

That's probably the 20th time I've made that mistake...not sure why I have Sunday on the brain......

Anyone remember the snowmaggeden game 15-20 years ago? Can't remember the details, just that more people showed up than should have given the amount of snow on the ground (although game day was sunny...cold as hell, but sunny) and at least where I lived at the time, at least a foot of snow that made just getting the car into the side streets was a chore.

Comment

Working...
                              X