• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WICHITA STATE (2-0) vs. FRIENDS (1-2) Game Thread 11/12/23

Sunday, Nov. 12 | 1:00 p.m. CT
    Wichita, Kan. | Charles Koch Arena

TV: ESPN+ (Shane Dennis & Bob Hull)
    Radio: KEYN 103.7 FM with Mike Kennedy & Dave Dahl https://www.audacy.com/stations/keyn

SCOUTING FRIENDS
    • Friends is under the guidance of first-year head coach Phil McClintock.
    • McClintock brings a stark familiarity of the KCAC to Friends, highlighted by an eight-year tenure as associate head coach at Ottawa University.
    • At Ottawa, McClintock served as the recruiting coordinator and was responsible for film breakdown and scouting reports.
    • 2019-20 was a breakout season, as McClintock brought in six of the team's top 10 players that produced a school-record 28 victories, a regular season KCAC championship and an NAIA Sweet 16 appearance (tournament ended early due to COVID-19).
    • The Falcons are 1-2 so far in 2023-24. After dropping their season opener at Central Methodist, 73-88, they regrouped to dominate Calvary University, 119-56, on Nov. 2 in the home opener.
    • They will be playing their second game in as many days after dropping a road contest at Oklahoma City University on Saturday, 83-68.
    • Four Falcons average 10 or more points on the season, led by Al Emerllahu at 13.5. Steele Chapman is shooting 55.6 percent to go with 12.5 points per game. Drew Patterson (12.0) and KJ Spiller (11.0) round out the leading scorers.
    • In their home opener, the Falcons put 119 points on the board, and average 96.0 through two games. Friends is converting 49.3 percent of its field goal attempts and 90.6 percent of its free throw attempts (29-for-32).

ALL-TIME SERIES VS. FRIENDS
    • Wichita State is 39-11 all time vs. Friends in a series that dates all the way back to 1906.
    • The two programs haven't met in a regular season game since 1943 - a contest the Shockers won, 74-22.
    • The two teams haven't even met in an exhibition game since at least 1970 when exhibition games started being recorded.
    • Friends won the first four meetings in the series, but was dominated by Wichita State over the next 40 years. Friends won a high-scoring affair, 26-14, in the first ever meeting on March 2, 1906.
    • The Shockers have won six in a row entering today's matchup.

A SHOCKER WIN WOULD...
    ... Make them 3-0 for the 40th time in the program's 117 seasons.
    ... Make them 1-1 all time on Nov. 12.
    ... Give Paul Mills 109 career coaching victories.
    ... Run their record to 1,660-1,245 all time.
    ... Make them 40-11 vs. Friends all time.

81-60

Comment

Would love to see Germany and Joy get some run. I think we will need one or both of them to be able to get some solid minutes by the time conference season comes around to at all remain competitive.

Comment

88-54
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

We're scoring 100 today. Three pointers falling like rain. Double double from Kenny, Quincy and Dalen. Colby has 30 and Joy gets first bucket of his Shocker career.

Do we still get free food if we score 100???

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
            We're scoring 100 today. Three pointers falling like rain. Double double from Kenny, Quincy and Dalen. Colby has 30 and Joy gets first bucket of his Shocker career.

Do we still get free food if we score 100???
            That would have been the safest advertisement possible over the last couple of years.

Comment

Would you rather have 100 plus or give extended minutes to reserves? Yes, I know, most are going to say both, but it's an either or question. Personally, I vote for the extended reserve minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                Would you rather have 100 plus or give extended minutes to reserves? Yes, I know, most are going to say both, but it's an either or question. Personally, I vote for the extended reserve minutes.
                Both

Comment

This is the type of team where Germany could score 20 pts. We don’t need our starters playing extended minutes and putting up big stats. Let’s establish control and use it as a training tool for the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                    Absolutely reserve minutes. Ideally reserve minutes in realistic combinations. So not throw all the reserves on the floor at once, but for key reserves, give them extended run with the rotation players and try to work up plays to get them going.

Comment

I think the Shocks win by 30. That being said, I think there will be a lot of bench play which could yield some late buckets by Friends. So maybe that 30 turns into 25 or so. Want the Shockers to get the W, and leave the floor without injury. 85-60.

Comment

Shocks win by 21 with wholesale substitutions gone wild. Germany comes off the bench and scores 10 pts. with 7 sparkling clean glass rebounds. Joy plays some solid D-Fense.
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Anybody need a ticket last minute?

Comment

I have a couple extra myself. Free to whoever wants them

Comment

Did anyone hear who just called in on the radio show?

Please dear god tell me I’m ****ing hallucinating or something. It can’t be.
                              Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Working...
                              X