Positives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positives

1) Team played hard, especially down 12 under 4 minutes to go.

2) Shot better; especially liked MG's long range 3 at the end, hopefully a sign of things to come.

3) Didn't turn the ball over too much; in fact forced more turnovers on CU.

4) GH looking confident. I'd like to see some screens set getting him more looks. I'm starting to have a good feeling about him.

5) PJ being PJ tonight. Now just has to decide to bring it every night.

6) Fans are still firmly behind this team and coach.

I know CGM isn't used to losing like this and hope he gets through this season before a vein explodes inside his head...just remember coach reinforcements are on the way.

Re: Positives

Originally posted by BostonWu

2) Shot better; especially liked MG's long range 3 at the end, hopefully a sign of things to come.

4) GH looking confident. I'd like to see some screens set getting him more looks. I'm starting to have a good feeling about him.

I know CGM isn't used to losing like this and hope he gets through this season before a vein explodes inside his head...just remember coach reinforcements are on the way.
    Coach Marshall and the players left their hearts out their tonight. they played amazing...

i agree with you on all of that.
    Except no. 6...
    some fans are
    but some of our fans are already calling for his job.
    "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
    CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Amen, on all points.

:clap: :wsu_posters: :yahoo: :clap:

Comment

Originally posted by RipEmUpShox

Coach Marshall and the players left their hearts out their tonight. they played amazing...

i agree with you on all of that.
        Except no. 6...
        some fans are
        but some of our fans are already calling for his job.

You're totally nuts. There isn't one "fan" calling for anything. And if anyone ever does, then

1)They aren't a real fan and

2)They don't know a damned thing about basketball.

Comment

Those guys played their guts out and really showed a ton of toughness getting back into the game late.

Most teams would have packed it in down 12. Not our guys.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
            Those guys played their guts out and really showed a ton of toughness getting back into the game late.

All true. I wonder if the guys will be 'subdued' after this.

Comment

One of the most positive things I see going for this team right now, and I never thought I would be saying this, is the three-point shooting of Graham Hatch. Coming in, he was said to be a good shooter and I remember looking at his numbers from Mesa High, he was a good free throw shooter and three-point shooter. He has been riding the pine all season and hasn't been able to take many shots. Now that he's getting minutes, he's showing that he's a good shooter.

He is 6-10 from three this season. 60%. He's our best three point shooter, folks. He should be starting at two guard and taking at least 5 threes a game, in my opinion.

These are his season numbers in three point shooting:

Ill st. 0-1
              Bradley 1-2
              Mo st. 2-4
              Creighton 3-3

He's got good shooting form, is not timid about taking the shot, and shoots with confidence. The three-point shooting is the one thing about this team that bothers me more than anything. It's abysmal. Now that Matt's gone, it's even worse. PJ never had good shooting form and he's layed a lot of bricks this year. Gal is now down to 25% on the season. It's cute that Mantas made that 3 in the game tonight, but it doesn't make up for all the misses this year. Just look at his numbers. Then there's Preadom, who has never been able to make a three since he's been at WSU. Ellis is 0-6 from three this year. Clemente doesn't take threes. Then there's Phil and Durley.

Bottom line, Hatch needs more touches and needs to shoot more threes. I hope the coaching staff realizes this and designs more plays for Hatch to shoot threes. Hatch should have been shooting that last shot tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan
                Hatch should have been shooting that last shot tonight.
                Yep. :yes:

It's a learning process for both Coach Marshall and freshmen Hatch. Perhaps coach is seeing some things in Hatch, and perhaps Hatch is now becoming comfortable playing ball again. Kid can shoot. Someone a while back told you all that. lol ;-)
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker
                  Hatch should have been shooting that last shot tonight.
                  Yep. :yes:

It's a learning process for both Coach Marshall and freshmen Hatch. Perhaps coach is seeing some things in Hatch, and perhaps Hatch is now becoming comfortable playing ball again. Kid can shoot. Someone a while back told you all that. lol ;-)
                  The numbers make sense from a recruiting perspective. I mean Graham Hatch was recruited during Tad Boyles tenure, correct? This is just a matter of 2-3 years of bad recruiting. I mean, what else can you say? MT just didnt bring in the guns needed to keep fighting the MVC war.
                  ________
                  STOCKS TO BUY NOW
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

One of the most positive things I see going for this team right now, and I never thought I would be saying this, is the three-point shooting of Graham Hatch. Coming in, he was said to be a good shooter and I remember looking at his numbers from Mesa High, he was a good free throw shooter and three-point shooter. He has been riding the pine all season and hasn't been able to take many shots. Now that he's getting minutes, he's showing that he's a good shooter.

He is 6-10 from three this season. 60%. He's our best three point shooter, folks. He should be starting at two guard and taking at least 5 threes a game, in my opinion.

These are his season numbers in three point shooting:

Ill st. 0-1
                    Bradley 1-2
                    Mo st. 2-4
                    Creighton 3-3

He's got good shooting form, is not timid about taking the shot, and shoots with confidence. The three-point shooting is the one thing about this team that bothers me more than anything. It's abysmal. Now that Matt's gone, it's even worse. PJ never had good shooting form and he's layed a lot of bricks this year. Gal is now down to 25% on the season. It's cute that Mantas made that 3 in the game tonight, but it doesn't make up for all the misses this year. Just look at his numbers. Then there's Preadom, who has never been able to make a three since he's been at WSU. Ellis is 0-6 from three this year. Clemente doesn't take threes. Then there's Phil and Durley.

Bottom line, Hatch needs more touches and needs to shoot more threes. I hope the coaching staff realizes this and designs more plays for Hatch to shoot threes. Hatch should have been shooting that last shot tonight.
                    I saw several plays designed for hatch tonight. He was set up perfect late in teh shot clock for a kick out and he was open but he fumbled the pass and then was called for an over and back (looked to me like the creighton player touched it once over the line before hatch did). There was also about 2-3 times i saw him open on the wing at the three line with space and guys just didnt get him the ball. I'm pretty sure he was open on the last possesion of the game but again we couldnt or didnt get the ball to him. Although it was pretty crowded around gal and pj at that point so it would have been a risky pass. Whatever you do though don't tell coldblooded the kid can play because he is after all the knower of all things :roll: and hes already told everyone time and time again that the kid just inst cut out for d1 ball.

Comment

Hatch's style of getting his shot off is very similiar to Matts, especially with them both being left handed.

He handles the ball pretty well too, that little thing by the halfcourt was a misnomer.

He does need to get up on defense though.

Comment

Yeah he isnt the fastest guy on the court and that hurts his ability to stay with his man on d. But hes getting better and he always hustles and plays within himself. Those are nice qualities in a freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
                          Yeah he isnt the fastest guy on the court and that hurts his ability to stay with his man on d. But hes getting better and he always hustles and plays within himself. Those are nice qualities in a freshman.
                          Isn't the fastest guy is an understatement. He also is a terrible defensive liability right now but not like JT is a terrible liability. GH just doesn't have the tools. If you look back you'll notice that once Hatch hit his 1st three, Dana made sure they guarded him tight and there were no more open looks. Hatch should expect that the rest of the season. We just don't have the guns to force the other team to react to multiple threats.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

I love our guys and admire their spunk, but how many times this year have our opponents come back from farther than 12 down to get within 2 or 3 or take the lead? Not all teams "pack it in" when down by 12.
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Props to Coach Marshall. I don't think Creighton envisioned the Shox pressing them. This is the first time in a while that we have had a coach that can match Dana on wit.

Comment

Working...
                              X