Recruits in the Weight Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Sitting out a year wouldn't have gotten the student any closer to being eligible. If they didn't take the partial qualifier route, they would have needed to go the JUCO route and therefore would have only ended up with 2 years of DI eligibility. I do think that the waiver system seems to be a better approach, however.
    Well 3 years, they could have gotten eligible in one year and transfered from a JUCO, couldn't they -- or do they lose a year for transferring early?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

...........no........in that scenario you must have the juco degree to be eligible. Gotta do 2 years, tho some jucos will allow you a redshirt year.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Don't understand your point, I guess. Sitting out while not in college would not have helped. Academies were not as predominant at that time.
        Ah, I thought there was a way to improve your prep grades through summer school, etc. Yeah, I probably assumed wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          Kung Wu, this seems to be flying over your head.
          Let there be no doubt. That's why I keep asking -- I'll get it eventually. :)

Mack came to WSU as a freshman and used his first year of eligability without ever playing a minute. He was not allowed a red-shirt freshman season. His sophomore year was his first year to play, second year of eligability. His junior year was his second year to play, third year of eligability. His senior year was his third year to play ...
          So far I totally get it and track with you 100%.

... and 4th/last year of eligability.
          Until right here. He has 5 years to play 4. You are giving him 4 years to play 4 which is incorrect.

Low and behold, he graduates. The NCAA gave Troy a 5th year of eligability as a graduate student which was the 4th year that he played basketball at WSU.
          But why should he have needed to graduate? He still had one year left to play his 5th year of eligibility? @The Mad Hatter: and someone else said that there was a rule that if you were a "partial qualifier" that you lose a year of eligibility -- and I said, "okay, that was a super sucky rule that doesn't make any sense because it's already taken care of by the 5 to play 4 rule."

So I'm not arguing but why are you saying his 4th year was his last year of eligibility? Because of the partial qualifier rule, which no longer exists?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            ...........no........in that scenario you must have the juco degree to be eligible. Gotta do 2 years, tho some jucos will allow you a redshirt year.
            Ah, I wasn't aware of that. You have to have a degree, or will an equivalent number of hours work?

Comment

The following article explains a lot of the issues we have been discussing, as well as explaining up coming changes starting with the class of 2016. The article is about football, so I can't guarantee that everything applies to other sports as well, but I think it does:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7885522/new-incoming-eligibility-standards-create-term
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

@Kung Wu:, from everything that I have read, the way partial qualifiers work is this:

1. They use their first year of eligibility sitting out.
                2. They then have 4 years to use 3 seasons of eligibility.
                3. They can earn back a 4th season of eligibility (i.e. the season they lost sitting out) if they receive their degree within four years of enrollment. This is what Troy Mack did, allowing him to have all four years of eligibility.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

@Kung Wu:, from everything that I have read, the way partial qualifiers work is this:

1. They use their first year of eligibility sitting out.
                  2. They then have 4 years to use 3 seasons of eligibility.
                  3. They can earn back a 4th season of eligibility (i.e. the season they lost sitting out) if they receive their degree within four years of enrollment. This is what Troy Mack did, allowing him to have all four years of eligibility.
                  I believe we have found ourselves a winner!

Open, then click on the 'doohickey' to receive your prize. :)

Last edited by WstateU; June 25, 2012, 01:50 PM.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Ah, I wasn't aware of that. You have to have a degree, or will an equivalent number of hours work?
                    Here is the relevant rule straight out of the 2011-2012 NCAA Division I Manual:

14.5.4.2 Not a Qualifier. A transfer student from a two-year college who was not a qualifier (per Bylaw 14.3.1.1) is eligible for institutional financial aid, practice and competition the first academic year in residence only if the student: (Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/90, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 4/24/03 effective 8/1/03, 6/1/06, 4/24/08 effective 8/1/09 for student-athletes initially enrolling full time in a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/09)
                    (a) Has graduated from the two-year college;
                    (b) Has completed satisfactorily a minimum of 48-semester or 72-quarter hours of transferable-degree credit acceptable toward any baccalaureate degree program at the certifying institution, including six-semester or eight-quarter hours of transferable English credit and three semester or four quarter hours of transfer- able math credit;
                    (c) Has attended a two-year college as a full-time student for at least three semesters or four quarters (excluding summer terms); and
                    (d) Has achieved a cumulative grade-point average of 2.000 (see Bylaw 14.5.4.5.3.2).

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      No sir, when you first enroll in college. So for example, @DOFO, could still theoretically play for the men's basketball team.
                      dofo has his ged??
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Here is the relevant rule straight out of the 2011-2012 NCAA Division I Manual:
                        Sweet your the man! Thanks for the edumacation!

Comment

For those who are joining late -- believe it or not, this thread is called "Recruits in the Weight Room." Yet Mack is neither a recruit, nor, to the best of my knowledge, spending time in the WSU basketball weight room these days.

We may be testing new boundaries here in our ability to go off on a tangent.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                            For those who are joining late -- believe it or not, this thread is called "Recruits in the Weight Room." Yet Mack is neither a recruit, nor, to the best of my knowledge, spending time in the WSU basketball weight room these days.

We may be testing new boundaries here in our ability to go off on a tangent.
                            Oh hell no. I've personally got us WAY off track more than this on many occasions.

Comment

ADD Shocker.net style!!!

Comment

Joey, you like movies about gladiators?
                                “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Working...
                                X