Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"MVC Preview: McDermott-Led Creighton The Clear Favorite In 2012-13" - SB*Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "MVC Preview: McDermott-Led Creighton The Clear Favorite In 2012-13" - SB*Nation

"MVC Preview: McDermott-Led Creighton The Clear Favorite In 2012-13" - SB*Nation

First team All-American Doug McDermott is back, which has reigning conference tournament champion Creighton poised to dominate the Missouri Valley in 2012-13.

weren't they the clear favorite last year too
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
      weren't they the clear favorite last year too
      Sure were :)

And I'm not sure he's correct in saying that last season was the first time in the Valley's existence that two teams were ranked at the same time. Pretty sure that happened back in the day when the Valley was arguably the number one conference in all of basketball.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Interesting all the press Armstead is getting. He's picked as ALL-Valley in this article.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Interesting all the press Armstead is getting. He's picked as ALL-Valley in this article.
          And it's possible he may not start....
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Armstead was a stud at Oregon, and that was when he was younger, and played for a coach who made it clear that Malcolm wasn't a priority. Imagine what he will be able to do in a system where he's wanted, and where he'll thrive in. He's the single season record holder at Oregon for steals. We're going to have some beastly defense this year. Mal, and Tekele are going to have a few steals between the two of them.
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

It certainly happened in the early to mid sixties with the Shockers and Cincinnati and I'm not too sure but what Bradley may have made it three on occasion.

Comment

Shockers have a knock for proving the doubters and haters wrong. I know they will have an awesome team,and I look forward to the newcomers really stepping up and help elevate shocker nation to the next level

Comment

Kind of hard for Armstead to be All-Valley and VanVleet to be FoY. Tough to split the PG minutes in any way for that to happen, even though I believe VanVleet will be the best Fr in the league.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    Kind of hard for Armstead to be All-Valley and VanVleet to be FoY. Tough to split the PG minutes in any way for that to happen, even though I believe VanVleet will be the best Fr in the league.
                    Not to mention that both DWill and Cotton can play the point as well. And lets not forget the all powerful Mr. Awesome Joe Mitchell.

If Armstead and FVV split time at PG and NOBODY else plays there then they might be able to pull off what the article stated. A FR doesn't have to play 20+ minutes a game to win FOY. However, I don't know if Armstead would be our best bet. Although you may have to look at the strength of the positions around the Valley and PG would be the best bet. Possibly a wing. The PF and C favorites pretty much have to be McDermott and Carmichael. After that I think there are opportunities to be had. And those two aren't guarantees.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      Sure were :)

And I'm not sure he's correct in saying that last season was the first time in the Valley's existence that two teams were ranked at the same time. Pretty sure that happened back in the day when the Valley was arguably the number one conference in all of basketball.

From the MVC website

Two Top-25 Teams
                      For the third-straight week (3/12/12), two Missouri Valley men's basketball teams are ranked in the Associated Press Top 25. It marks the first time since Jan. 5-12, 1982, that two league teams were ranked in the Associated Press Top 25 in successive weeks (Tulsa and Wichita State both represented the MVC in the AP top-25 in eight-straight weeks that season.)M12 - Wichita St. -- ESPN/USA Today (19); AP (16)
                      M12 - Creighton -- ESPN/USA Today (20); AP (19)

First Time Since 2007
                      This season marks the first time since 2007 that two league teams will enter the NCAA Tournament as ranked teams. That year, Southern Illinois (No. 14 writers, No. 15 coaches) and Creighton (NR, No. 24 coaches) both earned spots in the NCAA Tournament field as ranked teams. SIU reached the Sweet 16 in 2007.

First Time Since 1972
                      The last time two MVC teams were ranked in the Associated Press Top-25 on NCAA Tournament Selection Day was in 1972 when No. 4 Louisville and No. 11 Memphis State were both ranked in the AP. Louisville played in the NCAA Tournament and reached the Final Four; Memphis State participated in the NIT.

Ranked in Arch Madness
                      In 2012, the league had two ranked teams in the State Farm MVC Tournament.Twelve of the league's 36 tournaments have had a ranked team, but none of the previous 35 events have had two teams ranked entering the tournament.

Rank and File
                      Prior to this season, the last time two MVC teams were in the same AP poll was Feb. 8, 1983: Wichita State (16) and Illinois State (17). Notably, though, Creighton (24) and siu (14) represented the league in the 3/12/07 coaches poll.
                      The last time two MVC teams ranked in the top-25 of the Associated Press poll played one another was on Jan. 16, 1982, when #18 Tulsa beat #16 Wichita State, 99-88, in Tulsa, Okla.

In MVC history, only three ESPN/USA Today Coaches regular-season polls have had two MVC teams ranked (3/12/07 and two polls this year - 3/5 & 3/12). Bradley (24) & Wichita State (21) did, however, appear in the season-ending coaches poll in 2006.

Comment

I've heard so much about Armstaed's defense (specifically, steals) that I didn't even realize that he also averaged 4.4 assists per game. Not bad at all. Armstead was also listed as one of the 20 best transfers in the country by this guy.

Also, that guy wonders if an MVC player can become college POY. Has he never heard of Larry Bird and Hersey Hawkins, both college POY's (Xavier McDaniel should have been too).
                        Last edited by another shocker; June 6, 2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Grant Gibbs is a nice player. Can't wait to see how he deals with Cleanthony Early.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Grant Gibbs is a nice player. Can't wait to see how he deals with Cleanthony Early.
                            I thought Gibbs had to worry about Armstead.

Baby Chewbacca is the one that's gonna have to deal with Early?.. that should be plenty enough for him. From what I've seen, Early does NOT f#*& around on the backboards. That includes you too, Carmichael.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                              Armstead was a stud at Oregon, and that was when he was younger, and played for a coach who made it clear that Malcolm wasn't a priority. Imagine what he will be able to do in a system where he's wanted, and where he'll thrive in. He's the single season record holder at Oregon for steals. We're going to have some beastly defense this year. Mal, and Tekele are going to have a few steals between the two of them.
                              To be fair, that was in the Pac-10/12.

He'll be playing against better competition in the Valley.

>=)
                              Originally posted by BleacherReport
                              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                              X