The morning after.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
    Speaking of coaches shows, i think i listened to 1 IB coaches show and never listened to another one, it about put me to sleep lol
    I had a weekly reminder on my phone and eventually deleted it.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

An intuitive sponsorship angle?
      Still double masking??
      Last edited by Kung Wu; March 24, 2023, 07:57 AM.
      The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
        Meh, Marshall wasn’t exactly offering crazy insights in his coaches shows. He won, which made the radio shows better, but his quotes were pretty milquetoast overall.

FWIW, I think that applies to a lot of coaches’ shows. They give you some tropes that people can recite to their friends to make it look like they really pay attention to the Xs and Os, but at the end of the day, it’s a way to pay the piper. Worth it if you’re a coach? Yes. But does it provide a bunch of value to the listener? Not really.

And to be clear, I wouldn’t want to offer Xs and Os insight a ton after coaching college players week after week. It’s a grind. But it’s an outreach mechanism that must be performed.
        I'll always remember where I was when he said this during his greyshirt season, "if I were an investor I'd be loading up on Ron Baker stock"

Comment

Meh, Marshall wasn’t exactly offering crazy insights in his coaches shows. He won, which made the radio shows better, but his quotes were pretty milquetoast overall.

FWIW, I think that applies to a lot of coaches’ shows. They give you some tropes that people can recite to their friends to make it look like they really pay attention to the Xs and Os, but at the end of the day, it’s a way to pay the piper. Worth it if you’re a coach? Yes. But does it provide a bunch of value to the listener? Not really.

And to be clear, I wouldn’t want to offer Xs and Os insight a ton after coaching college players week after week. It’s a grind. But it’s an outreach mechanism that must be performed.
          Come on Kel, you don’t think there was a difference in Marshall and IB shows? Marshall knew how to entertain his audience and casted a decent insight on things. Certainly not vanilla. IB, on the other hand, repeated everything in the same mundane manner during every show. Literally every show was the same.

There was a difference between those two coaches at least.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Still wearing your mask?
            Last edited by Kung Wu; March 24, 2023, 07:57 AM.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Sounds like everything that was being said about WSU after the undefeated season.
              Wow!!

Not sure how you are meaning that, but there is NO comparison between what Mills has done over the last 4 years and what Marshall had done over the 4 years previous to the undefeated season. Did I miss his 2 NITs, one a Championship, 2 NCAAs, one a Final Four prior to an undefeated season. Uniformed people may have been saying stupid sh*t about Marshall then, but I stand behind my "criticism" of Mills over the past 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Come on Kel, you don’t think there was a difference in Marshall and IB shows? Marshall knew how to entertain his audience and casted a decent insight on things. Certainly not vanilla. IB, on the other hand, repeated everything in the same mundane manner during every show. Literally every show was the same.

There was a difference between those two coaches at least.
                A difference between the coaches? Absolutely.

A big difference in the radio shows? Not really. I always felt like I got the same message from Marshall - "boxing out", "securing the ball", "playing hard", etc...it wasn't anything different from one show to another. Not that it's a shot to Marshall or anything. But unless you're sharing the details about how players should play drop coverage vs. a certain point guard or hedge and help vs. another one, or something of the like, it doesn't provide a ton of value to me personally vs. watching film.

It just seems like an antiquated exercise to me personally. I guess reasonable minds could disagree there, but those are my thoughts.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Quit quoting CB! My ignore works great until you do that.

Comment

Yeah, I guess I can see that angle.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

A big difference in the radio shows? Not really. I always felt like I got the same message from Marshall - "boxing out", "securing the ball", "playing hard", etc...it wasn't anything different from one show to another. Not that it's a shot to Marshall or anything. But unless you're sharing the details about how players should play drop coverage vs. a certain point guard or hedge and help vs. another one, or something of the like, it doesn't provide a ton of value to me personally vs. watching film.

It just seems like an antiquated exercise to me personally. I guess reasonable minds could disagree there, but those are my thoughts.
                      There was a vast difference in the shows and the insight expressed therein. It contributed to the lack of confidence in IB. Reminded me of Scott Thompson droning the line over and over “we’re just not very good right now”. That is on its face a shot at Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                        If he wins, I will like him. I don't think I'm informed enough to say whether it was a good hire or not. We won't know for 3+ years. So best to just watch and hope for the best.
                        I think we will know before than whether or not it was a good hire. However, there are no guarantees in life. Making a good hire does not necessarily guarantee success. Today, I think Paul Mills was a good hire. I have no idea how successful he will be. But I am much more optimistic about success with the hiring of Paul Mills than I was with the status quo. There appears to be little doubt that he is a well-respected person in his profession and a quality human being. I have no doubt he will give us his very best effort. But the fan base will have to be there to support those efforts to make it happen and I think they are or will be. But again there are no guarantees.

Comment

I disagree with this. Marshall was very honest on his shows, and sometimes, instead of sugar coating things, he called players out and criticized them. I appreciated how he interviewed both locally and nationally. There are always going to be times when coaches are unsure of their next step, and they talk in generalities, but Marshall as a "rule" said what he was really thinking, and his honesty was something I valued most. I tried to never miss one of his coaches shows.

Comment

Somebody needs to get Coach Mills on the Jim Rome show! Straight cash homie!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Yeah, I guess I can see that angle.
                              Dang... that goes back a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I think we will know before than whether or not it was a good hire. However, there are no guarantees in life. Making a good hire does not necessarily guarantee success. Today, I think Paul Mills was a good hire. I have no idea how successful he will be. But I am much more optimistic about success with the hiring of Paul Mills than I was with the status quo. There appears to be little doubt that he is a well-respected person in his profession and a quality human being. I have no doubt he will give us his very best effort. But the fan base will have to be there to support those efforts to make it happen and I think they are or will be. But again there are no guarantees.
                                Yep. Gotta' get them horses to pull the wagon.

“The games are decided by great players making great plays.”- Gregg Marshall 2/18/18

Comment

Working...
                                X