Wichita State: vs Tulane (01/25/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Not sure what sitting behind the bench has to do with those observations, but I appreciate the post. I’d be more interested in coach speak during timeouts or anything you may have seen or heard that doesn’t show up on TV.
    It has EVERYTING to do with the parts about watching the interactions, HEARING the comments of coaches and players, and seeing from point blank range....it was actually TOO close for the best view of the game but awesome for the nitty gritty. I know a constant criticism of Coach Brown has been the lack of a fire but he had it in two timeouts, and once on a missed call....

So close that Kenny's shooting shirt landed on my foot once...that is a big man....

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
      Ball moved well the first half, that is for sure. CP missed a triple double by two assists and had zero turnovers. Our bench was 3-12 and they don't seem to understand their roles when they are in. That is poor coaching. They should have been trying to get the ball inside to KP instead of jacking up three's - that is poor coaching. Tulane was soft in the middle but IB just didn't seem to understand that and attack it in the 2nd half. It is so sad to see the current state of the program and all the empty seats. In the end I would think it is the empty seats that will eventually lead to IB being replaced hopefully sooner than later.
      We are really going to miss Craig.

Kenny was a beast last night. He has come a long way. Very productive overall with exactly zero 3s jacked up. Nice!
      Last edited by Shocktoberfest; January 26, 2023, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
        , the

It has EVERYTING to do with the parts about watching the interactions, HEARING the comments of coaches and players, and seeing from point blank range....it was actually TOO close for the best view of the game but awesome for the nitty gritty. I know a constant criticism of Coach Brown has been the lack of a fire but he had it in two timeouts, and once on a missed call....

So close that Kenny's shooting shirt landed on my foot once...that is a big man....
        This isn't in reference to last night (because I didn't watch), but when I have watched from afar (television games), it seems to me that the Time Outs I pay attention to, have shown the players standing in a semi-circle around IB, and he talks to the coaches quite a bit, and then when he turns to talk to the team (standing up) around him, most of the players never make eye contact with him. In the back, the players are talking to each other, and the 5-6 players who are playing aren't seemingly to be paying attention to him either. No eye contact, and often looking down, etc.

In other words, the team during Timeouts (at least when I've been watching), often isn't engaged (at least with IB), and they often give out really bad body language. What could you see last night?

Comment

• Originally posted by shox7 View Post
          We are 25 - 25 in our last 50 games under IB. We have 6 losses at home this year and still have to play Houston here. We have fallen so far in such a short time.
          ...and we lost 6 games at home last year. So far we have lost 12 games at home in two years ...12 GAMES!!!! Unbelievable. Didn't we lose like 5 games in 8 years very recently at home? Talk about destroying a program fast.

After the AD change, I chose to renew my tickets to support the program financially. I am not using them or allowing anyone else to use them to send a message that IB must go. If he isn't gone at the end of this year, I will terminate all support of the athletic program by dropping tickets that have been in the family for over 60 years.

Comment

• For a moment last night, I allowed myself to have some hope. Thinking they were looking pretty good, and maybe the team was starting to gel and show some improvement. Then, of course another meltdown happened. Last time I make that mistake this year. Then I realized who our coach is, and that everyone looks good when you're shooting 50% from three as we did in the first half. Shame on me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

This isn't in reference to last night (because I didn't watch), but when I have watched from afar (television games), it seems to me that the Time Outs I pay attention to, have shown the players standing in a semi-circle around IB, and he talks to the coaches quite a bit, and then when he turns to talk to the team (standing up) around him, most of the players never make eye contact with him. In the back, the players are talking to each other, and the 5-6 players who are playing aren't seemingly to be paying attention to him either. No eye contact, and often looking down, etc.

In other words, the team during Timeouts (at least when I've been watching), often isn't engaged (at least with IB), and they often give out really bad body language. What could you see last night?
              Actually a lot of that.....but I see that with many teams...it's common, I think, for coaches to talk, the players talk and then they have a group chat...when the Shox were ahead, the timeouts were engaged....later, not as much...I will say none of the players seem to live in fear of him

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Actually a lot of that.....but I see that with many teams...it's common, I think, for coaches to talk, the players talk and then they have a group chat...when the Shox were ahead, the timeouts were engaged....later, not as much...I will say none of the players seem to live in fear of him
                I won't argue that it doesn't happen with many teams, but engagement is one of the most important tenets in learning. I don't remember ever seeing kids during TO's, when Gregg was in charge not seemingly engaged. (I say seemingly, because a person's mind can be somewhere else). And I would include most if not all of the players who are sitting on the bench, including walk-ons in the back row. Gregg, and most of the top coaches, pull up chairs, and have the 5 players going into the game sitting down in front of them, with their eyes on the coach, and engaged in his diagrams and instructions. This often isn't the case with IB, and maybe with other coaches who aren't effective. He doesn't look at them (eye to eye), and they don't look at him.

Comment

• This loss was very frustrating. I concur with the many concerns mentioned on SN.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

We are really going to miss Craig.

Kenny was a beast last night. He has come a long way. Very productive overall with exactly zero 3s jacked up. Nice!
                    JW as well was very good last night. Nice line. Pretty darn efficient. Really hope we can keep him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

JW as well was very good last night. Nice line. Pretty darn efficient. Really hope we can keep him.
                      JW is going to be a very good player and he did make the game tying shot, but he made some really crucial errors down the stretch of regulation. He had at least 2 really dumb fouls on back to back possessions and also passed the ball right to the other team on another. This is not the first game he peed down his leg in crunch time. I'm not sure we have 5 guys we can depend on to play when the game's on the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Remember when certain idiots pointed out how IB was so far ahead of Gregg and Mark with his first 50 games (or whatever it was). Yeah, well, in Season 3, Gregg won 25 and was 20 minutes from winning Arch Madness. In season 3, Mark got the team to an NIT. In season 3, IB is going to get fired.
                        A lot like Chris Lowery.

good success early on, based k. The previous two coaches, but ultimately proved he couldn’t keep the success up on his own.

At least Chris made three tournaments though…
                        The Assman

Comment

• You know its bad when its gotten to the point where we have a tough loss and the mood is almost like we dont care lol
                          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• With Chandler being the exception our bench players don't understand their roles unless IB wants them to jack up a three first chance they get. IB needs to understand that it is human nature for the bench players to force the action on offense.........bench was 3-13. He needs to make it crystal clear to them what he expects of them before they get in, like, get the ball to the post or one of the other better offensive players, play D and take care of the ball!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

JW is going to be a very good player and he did make the game tying shot, but he made some really crucial errors down the stretch of regulation. He had at least 2 really dumb fouls on back to back possessions and also passed the ball right to the other team on another. This is not the first game he peed down his leg in crunch time. I'm not sure we have 5 guys we can depend on to play when the game's on the line.
                              I would counter that at least one of those fouls was no different than what had been alloweed the previous trip down the floor...players often make judgements of ' so THAT'S how it is?"

Maybe not smart, but makes some sense...

Comment

• I didn't think we could be as good as we were in the first half.

Comment

Working...
                                X