Wichita State at SMU (01/22/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    When Porter came back into the game with the big lead there was no attempt to do anything offensively until the shot clock was down to about 8 seconds, I wasa thinking that could lead to disaster. The Shox aren't really efficient at late shot clock plays.
    Are you criticizing our best secret offensive play where we dribble at the half court logo for 15 to 20 second then move in for the 25-30 ft 3 point shot with 5 seconds on the shot clock?
    Man, that is pure genius at work. We just need to practice it more and get better at it.

But I don't think it was the entry of CP that caused the collapse as much as college players not having a clue where to get the ball in against a press, among other things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Are you criticizing our best secret offensive play where we dribble at the half court logo for 15 to 20 second then move in for the 25-30 ft 3 point shot with 5 seconds on the shot clock?
      Man, that is pure genius at work. We just need to practice it more and get better at it.

But I don't think it was the entry of CP that caused the collapse as much as college players not having a clue where to get the ball in against a press, among other things.
      it's not secret

Comment

I would agree with your CP take, except, he's had problems getting the ball in bounds a few times this year aside from that play, which is actually a few better than he did last year attempting in bound passes. Apparently you haven't noticed that yet.

CP doesn't deserve a pass (pun not intended) any more, or less, than anyone else on the team.
        Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 23, 2023, 02:15 PM.

Comment

100% this! Most of it was on the inbounder who passed in to CP then proceeded to just run up the court without realizing he needed to stay there for the pass back. Leaving nobody there to pass to. AKA Jaron Pierre, Jr. I feel bad for CP that he has to put up with this nonsense in his senior year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

I would agree with your CP take, except, he's had problems getting the ball in bounds a few times this year aside from that play, which is actually a few better than he did last year attempting in bound passes. Apparently you haven't noticed that yet.

CP doesn't deserve a pass (pun not intended) any more, or less, than anyone else on the team.
            You have never liked CP. The way our team plays, I’m more likely to blame that on the Head Coach. There are too many times when our team shows a low bb IQ to just point the finger at CP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You have never liked CP. The way our team plays, I’m more likely to blame that on the Head Coach. There are too many times when our team shows a low bb IQ to just point the finger at CP.
              You addressed absolutely nothing that I added to the conversation. CP might be WSU's best player. Some might think Walton. Feel better now?

But, seriously, who on this board could not help but notice that CP has had problems getting the ball in bounds prior to yesterday's game and subsequently were not surprised, but frustrated, seeing it happen again. You got to be bullshi****' to claim you've never noticed that, because, on your behalf, I don't believe you're that stupid.

Plenty of blame to go around. That includes CP if we're being honest. Go back and read the game posts Shockm. Really.
              Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 23, 2023, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

You addressed absolutely nothing that I added to the conversation. CP might be WSU's best player. Some might think Walton. Feel better now?

But, seriously, who on this board could not help but notice that CP has had problems getting the ball in bounds prior to yesterday's game and subsequently were not surprised, but frustrated, seeing it happen again. You got to be bullshi****' to claim you've never noticed that, because, on your behalf, I don't believe you're that stupid.

Plenty of blame to go around. That includes CP if we're being honest. Go back and read the game posts Shockm. Really.
                They all get blame .. especially IB. Getting the ball inbounds against a press is a TEAM thing. Our team consistently throws the ball into an easily trapped corner. Without fail. Sometimes they get it out of there, but more often than not its a turnover or a near turnover. There appears to be no plan or wrinkles to getting the ball in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

They all get blame .. especially IB. Getting the ball inbounds against a press is a TEAM thing. Our team consistently throws the ball into an easily trapped corner. Without fail. Sometimes they get it out of there, but more often than not its a turnover or a near turnover. There appears to be no plan or wrinkles to getting the ball in.
                  Nor did you you Stick.

IB didn't throw that pass(s). Throwing the ball into a well guarded corner is not the only spot bad passes have been placed over the last 2 years on in bound plays, and several others, that I won't go into now. CP has been the trigger man on a lot of them. Maybe IB needs to pick another guy to do it, but, CP might me the best they got?

Overall, WSU hasn't handled pressure very well over the last 2 years in bounding or anywhere else. I'm not about to sit here and blame it all on Pierre or Photo and give CP a free pass over really stupid and lazy play. After all he is the primary ball handler. I know I am not the only who has noticed it, nor am I being unfair.

No solution on how to get the ball in to the middle of the court instead of the corner in bounding, or not hand the ball backwards to a player crossing half court, twice in the same game, minutes apart? We agree.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I'm moving on to the next game, or going down memory lane, sadly. Bye for now...
                  Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 23, 2023, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• Must admit I enjoyed watching that game........
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• I don’t necessarily blame CP as much as I blame the other players and how they change their game when CP is playing. They defer to him and expect him to make the play. Sorta like how our guys deferred to Tyson last year. When Scott was in the game, we were pushing the ball up the court and less “running an offense”. Insert CP and everything just slowed down to a crawl. Again not CP’s fault, just the way the game goes when he’s playing.

Comment

• Worth watching Taylor’s breakdowns… wish he was on staff.

Sixteen (16) quality breakdowns…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          I don’t necessarily blame CP as much as I blame the other players and how they change their game when CP is playing. They defer to him and expect him to make the play. Sorta like how our guys deferred to Tyson last year. When Scott was in the game, we were pushing the ball up the court and less “running an offense”. Insert CP and everything just slowed down to a crawl. Again not CP’s fault, just the way the game goes when he’s playing.
                          You must have missed some of IB's post game comments when he pretty much said that when CP went back in they were going to run isolation plays for him and keep the ball in his hands. The players were INSTRUCTED to defer to CP.

CP wasn't even trying to run a play nor was the rest of the team. CP was dribbling near half court until the shot clock was under 10. Then he tried to drive and usually couldn't. He did hit some key shots at crunch time, but IB's strategy to keep the ball in CP's hands and let him try to create instead of even attempting to break the defense down or run a play is what made CP's critical shots in crunch time needed.

I'm far from anything resembling a basketball guru, but I can see things on the court that haven't worked all year and accurately predict that they're not going to work when I see them again.

This is a different subject, but Pohto is reminding me of some of the guys I played intramurals and pickup ball with. From PG, I could get past my guy and get a big coming out to challenge me. That left a guy open under the basket, who ALWAYS had his back to me looking for the rebound, when he had a wide open layup. Pohto's tendency to not be expecting a pass when he's wide open under the basket is on the coaching staff. How hard is it to tell Pohto that when the help defender goes to cut off a driver that he should be ready to catch a pass?
                          Last edited by Aargh; January 23, 2023, 07:42 PM.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

You must have missed some of IB's post game comments when he pretty much said that when CP went back in they were going to run isolation plays for him and keep the ball in his hands. The players were INSTRUCTED to defer to CP.

CP wasn't even trying to run a play nor was the rest of the team. CP was dribbling near half court until the shot clock was under 10. Then he tried to drive and usually couldn't. He did hit some key shots at crunch time, but IB's strategy to keep the ball in CP's hands and let him try to create instead of even attempting to break the defense down or run a play is what made CP's critical shots in crunch time needed.

I'm far from anything resembling a basketball guru, but I can see things on the court that haven't worked all year and accurately predict that they're not going to work when I see them again.

This is a different subject, but Pohto is reminding me of some of the guys I played intramurals and pickup ball with. From PG, I could get past my guy and get a big coming out to challenge me. That left a guy open under the basket, who ALWAYS had his back to me looking for the rebound, when he had a wide open layup. Pohto's tendency to not be expecting a pass when he's wide open under the basket is on the coaching staff. How hard is it to tell Pohto that when the help defender goes to cut off a driver that he should be ready to catch a pass?
                            Yes, I know the whole thing was drawn up by IB, who I ultimately blame. I was just trying to say it’s not entirely CP’s fault.

Comment

• I've never in my life seen a team get stripped of the ball more than this team. But I think those types of plays are a result of the ball being in the wrong place at the wrong time due to poor offensive execution.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You’re the smartest poster on this board. Except you never say anything until after the fact.
                                FAR from the smartest...but maybe wise enough to know that sitting on the sideline and not having coached at that level is a far cry from being able to make in game decisions at the D1 level....knowing the lane.....
                                Always have been interested in knowing the playing/coaching basketball background of posters here, or on any board....I imagine much worse on KU board...

Comment

Working...
                                X