Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Game Thread: vs Cincinnati (01/05/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    If we have another mass exodus, and i suspect we will, our AD needs to incorporate player retention as a part of the next coaches contract. It’s an important factor in team success and a huge new issue in college basketball. The coach should be held accountable in keeping his team together the best he can.
    Only if it's a bonus incentive or a low threshold. There are too many factors outside a coach's control or even influence now in college sports to hold them accountable for players transferring. Besides, if players are transferring because the team isn't succeeding, a lack of player retention isn't the reason you need to terminate the coach.

Comment

• 1. First half was pitiful, pathetic, putrid
      2. Our talent level is not very good, despite what MK says
      3. I don't give a **** how guys shoot in practice
      4. Cincy looked like a final 4 team against us
      5. Brown doesn't know what to do or say
      6. And they don't listen to him anyway
      7. There's no repercussions for lazy or stupid play
      8. I don't wanna type anymore

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        1. First half was pitiful, pathetic, putrid
        2. Our talent level is not very good, despite what MK says
        3. I don't give a **** how guys shoot in practice
        4. Cincy looked like a final 4 team against us
        5. Brown doesn't know what to do or say
        6. And they don't listen to him anyway
        7. There's no repercussions for lazy or stupid play
        8. I don't wanna type anymore
        #2 - the roster isn't nearly as talented as many on here make it out to be. Nowhere near top half AAC talent. But the roster is irrelevant at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

#2 - the roster isn't nearly as talented as many on here make it out to be. Nowhere near top half AAC talent. But the roster is irrelevant at this point.
          Is it talent or is it coaching? Ricky Council wasn't a highly recruited player (Sienna maybe) until he came to Wichita. He was obviously a very talented player. We've had some talented players, but not a talented TEAM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Only if it's a bonus incentive or a low threshold. There are too many factors outside a coach's control or even influence now in college sports to hold them accountable for players transferring. Besides, if players are transferring because the team isn't succeeding, a lack of player retention isn't the reason you need to terminate the coach.
            The goal of a coach should have a strategy involved, where he has his sights on returning 5-8 players every year. Hopefully, the right 5-8. That's not too much to expect. We lost a couple of players from last year that we couldn't afford to lose if we wanted to improve. Four year players like Dexter, and Mo probably want to move on at the end. Craig was the only returning player that was ready to be on a good team. Pohto was the only other returning player with experience. Ricky should have been asked what he wanted, if he returned, prior to has putting his name into the portal.

A team can't win with a totally new roster except for a couple of inexperienced redshirt players. However, they need a "Coach" too.

Comment

• Keep in mind, these guys have spent at least half a year with Isaac Brown. Look at what a full year did to an AAC championship team. It's quite possible that this team used to be premier talents, but a lot of talent can be buried by mistakes. This team has some of the worst fundamentals I've seen at the D1 level, and I suspect that they are getting worse rather than better. I'm talking the little things: boxing out, hands up on defense, not crossing your feet, two hand passes, drive and kick, shotclock management, triple-threat position, etc. Without those, you can't even start to build a cohesive strategy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

The goal of a coach should have a strategy involved, where he has his sights on returning 5-8 players every year. Hopefully, the right 5-8. That's not too much to expect.

A team can't win with a totally new roster except for a couple of inexperienced redshirt players. However, they need a "Coach" too.
                Totally agree. With players now able to make money, I see player retention no different that running a company. You have to keep the best employees happy to keep the train moving forward. You can't just expect the best players are going to move on to bigger and better things every year. You must figure out how to win and keep them coming back. This is the combined job of the coach and the athletic department.

The team we have now only has a a couple legit big time players on it and one is graduating. There are a couple more guys that are WSU level or could be with proper development. All that said, if a new coach needs to clean house and start from scratch, I'm on board with that as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Because that game was WAY over at halftime.
                  The last 4 minutes of garbage time was BS. Especially when D2 Bell hit his only trey of the night.
                  UC had already called the airport and had the jet warming well before WSU scored their meaningless BS points at the end to make it look somewhat respectable.

This team is a disaster, a direct result of some piss poor recruiting and low end transfer grabs.
                  Tulsa, maybe USFare possible W's...and whole lot of losing otherwise for the rest of the season.
                  I really thought we would never see the same Shiit from the 90's again. Well, now WSU fans really know what deja vu looks like.

That is all.
                  I jumped in to disagree, but after review and as usual I am in agreement with ShockRef on most things basketball. This team would get mopped by many of our ‘90’s teams. Prime Darrin Williams, Terrell Benton, Troy Mack, and Craig ****ing Steven would walk into our starting lineup right now. My only quibble is that I don’t think our worst players are as bad now as our worst players then.

This team has no X’s and O’s. No fundamentals. No basketball IQ. No IDENTITY. What are we good at? Even Randy’s teams could muck it up and be a tough out.

The good news is that there isn’t a single player that is irreplaceable on our team. The bad news is that even on bad teams I could go to Henry Levitt, sit on the wooden benches, piss in the trough, and know that I’d see something from Jason Perez, Jamie Arnold, or even LD ****ing Swanson, that would make it worth showing up. There is no player on our team worth tuning in for today.

Houston will be a name your score affair.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• ADKS has been in attendance at every Shocker Home Game. He usually stands next to the railing in tunnel to Shocker Locker Room, and at times he converses with nearby fans. He doesn’t wear his emotions on his face, but he is thinking how to improve situation all the time. Two random thoughts from last night's game: First, The SASO check to Athletic Department was down over $ 1 M dollars from last year, and ADKS put on a nice presentation at half-time honoring retiring Athletic Department Finance Administrator. He is hard at work, and he will fix our current situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Is it talent or is it coaching? Ricky Council wasn't a highly recruited player (Sienna maybe) until he came to Wichita. He was obviously a very talented player. We've had some talented players, but not a talented TEAM.
                      I'm strictly talking about the current roster. I do agree some good talent has left the building. At this point who's going to want to board this sinking ship?

Comment

• Couldn't help but think while watching this debacle if IB didn't realize until there was 90 seconds left that the Shox were getting their @sses handed to them. That game right there was embarrassing. I am running out of brain power to describe the filth I am watching.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                          Couldn't help but think while watching this debacle if IB didn't realize until there was 90 seconds left that the Shox were getting their @sses handed to them. That game right there was embarrassing. I am running out of brain power to describe the filth I am watching.
                          He just needs to explain the importance of playing defense, and all will be good.

Comment

• "I just need to keep doing what I'm doing" is worse then "at this level". .
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• "Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate."

---------------Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X