Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Game Thread: vs East Carolina (12/31/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Game Thread: vs East Carolina (12/31/22)

Date and Time: Dec 31 (Sat) 3:00 P.M.
    Opponent: vs East Carolina
    TV and Radio: ESPN+ and KEYN 103.7 FM
    Shockers: Win by 10+
    9.09%
    Shockers: Win by 4 to 9
    27.27%
    Shockers: Win by 1 to 3
    21.21%
    Shockers: Lose by 1 to 3
    15.15%
    Shockers: Lose by 4 to 9
    21.21%
    Shockers: Lose by 10+
    6.06%

The poll is expired.

We will probably win, only because East Carolina is awful

Comment

Actually hope we lose at this point. I’d rather the wheels come off the bus now and Saal be further urged to replace him, than suffer another year of this.

Comment

For me, lets just say losing certainly isn't as disappointing anymore if it means replacing IB and staff sooner than later. I have mixed emotions. I could see a scenario with us starting conference play 4-1 before our humiliating defeat at Memphis. I could say I was rooting for a loss but in my heart not really. I have my doubts Saal will make a move anytime soon regardless. I picked 4-9 point win.

Comment

We could win. We could lose.

I'm more interested in attendance. Do we get 5k to show up? I say no
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I’ll be there with our group. If you survived going to games in the nineties when we had nothing but losing records and bad teams might as well persevere now.

We haven’t seen sub .500 in 15 years. Should strengthen the resolve to expect change if and when the wheels come off.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              We could win. We could lose.

I'm more interested in attendance. Do we get 5k to show up? I say no
              Kstate / Bama is at 11. So might depend how drunk people get watching that lol

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Kstate / Bama is at 11. So might depend how drunk people get watching that lol
                There might be more points scored in that game

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post
                  I’ll be there with our group. If you survived going to games in the nineties when we had nothing but losing records and bad teams might as well persevere now.

We haven’t seen sub .500 in 15 years. Should strengthen the resolve to expect change if and when the wheels come off.
                  You think this team is finishing above .500?

Where’s ShockerExpress at to stat me up?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                    For me, lets just say losing certainly isn't as disappointing anymore if it means replacing IB and staff ...I have my doubts Saal will make a move anytime soon regardless.
                    From what I've seen of Muma and Saal. if IB is not replaced at the end of this season, it's only because it would put the athletic department in a financial position it couldn't survive. Muma could make it happen by guaranteeing that he would use endowment funds to keep the athletic department running and fund the hire of a worthwhile coach. That would have to be on a "pay us back" basis.

That would be incredibly unpopular with the academic side of the university. If IB is replaced at the end of this season, it would be Muma's willingness to take on incredible heat from the academic side. or that the big $$ donors have been convinced that they can trust Sall to bring in a home run hire. Both of those are unlikely, but possible.

Take a look at next year with consideration for WSU's past gains and losses through the portal. There is some urgency to do something NOW and then take on the task of how to pay for it.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

^^^ Indeed ^^^
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        Muma could make it happen by guaranteeing that he would use endowment funds to keep the athletic department running and fund the hire of a worthwhile coach.

That would be incredibly unpopular with the academic side of the university.
                        Only if it doesn't work. We aren't MIT. For every academic grumble-bug that complains about athletics, there is a wiser professor that knows exactly why their research grants seem to roll in while WSU becomes a name brand and makes it to the Sweet 16 consistently. I have had conversations with tenured professors that tell me getting their grants approved becomes easier when the basketball team is cranking. It opens the door to have great conversations with the grantors, and the university name recognition gets grantors to take a more serious look at proposals; which keeps the professors in the mix for more grant competitions.

Now if the hire sucks and we don't get back to our potential, all that would do is fuel the anti-athletic "nay-sayer" crowd.

So yeah, a good president is incentivized to keep hunting for a great coach for our most marquis sport to keep our school brand relevant -- and it goes beyond just keeping alumni and fans happy.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Would anyone have 2 tickets to the game? I am going with the wife, and about to buy 2 tickets on Vivid, but would rather give money to someone here than Vivid. $10 to $15 bucks each.

Comment

TCU/Michigan on Saturday afternoon and NYE, safe to say I'll be not watching a second of another game.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post

I'm still going to the games but there are many more options for people than there were in the 90's. Most games are televised and in high definition. Between all of the televised sports, kids games to attend, Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and other online activities there is little chance we will see as many fans at games if the team doesn't improve soon.
                              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Working...
                              X