2012-2013 Early Season Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
    I have no idea how teams are selected for and how many years in advance schools are scheduled for these pre-season tournaments. I would guess, unless otherwise corrected, that we took the best we could get.

At least our relatively young team does get some playing experience. How much one gets playing so-called pushovers is certainly questionable at best. But, it is certainly better than nothing.

Through the years, I have heard numerous coaches, when questioned why they schedule games against tough teams early in the year reply along the lines, "Because that is the only way my players are going to get better. You learn from playing against better players and teams even if you get your head handed back to you. You learn little from outplaying much less skilled players."
    My arguement to that is that your players can learn a lot against a team that might be less skilled, but more experienced. In most instances, skill alone is not enough. Top JUCO and HS players may have been dominating within their own team and against other teams at that level, but that isn't D-I ball. The success/failure of this generally inexperienced team will come from how well they learn to play as a team. I'm guessing HCGM will not tolerate showboating and a lot of one-on-one basketball. I loved watching Princeton teams coached by Pete Carril beat high and mighty skilled teams.

Comment

This tournament will be perfect if the AL and TN games come to fruition.

Also, everyone in this thread is sleeping on Iowa. They're gonna be good. Not at-large good, but probably top 100.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
        This tournament will be perfect if the AL and TN games come to fruition.

Also, everyone in this thread is sleeping on Iowa. They're gonna be good. Not at-large good, but probably top 100.
        Iowa could be good enough this year to approach Top 50- 75. Maybe as good as Colorado was this year. They may be middle of the road Big 10. They're trying to get better too.

Comment

I think this is a real good chance to get the new players some experience and for Marshall to continue to fiddle around with his rotations. Hopefully this year the players will get a chance to enjoy themselves, continue to adjust to D1 ball and how to learn to play as a team. The following year I hope we can get in a tourney with some stiffer competition. Also as Marshall points out you have to bloom where you are planted.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
            I have no idea how teams are selected for and how many years in advance schools are scheduled for these pre-season tournaments. I would guess, unless otherwise corrected, that we took the best we could get.
            I know that at Puerto Rico a WSU rep was telling me that it was Cancun this year, and they hoped for some tourney in South Carolina in 2013, which he indicated was a top-of-the-line tourney. He then mentioned 2014 as perhaps a return somewhere. Of course, this is all from a 66 year-old who CRS.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I know you can only be in a tournament once every four years. I have to wonder though how long we'll have to wait to get back to Maui? They take one team from each BcS conference, Chaminade and a non-Bcs team. With our reputation for travel and the fact that we're going to continue to be a team to watch, I'd hope we could be back in 5-6 years at least. I don't remember what's in SC. Vegas and PR are good option. The one in Anaheim might not be bad. I wish the Top of the World Classic was still one of the big ones. There's nothing wrong with a trip to Alaska.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                I know that at Puerto Rico a WSU rep was telling me that it was Cancun this year, and they hoped for some tourney in South Carolina in 2013, which he indicated was a top-of-the-line tourney. He then mentioned 2014 as perhaps a return somewhere. Of course, this is all from a 66 year-old who CRS.
                Charleston Classic possibly? An ESPN tournament that has had a pretty decent field that last few years, looks like the typical mix is 4 bcs with a10, colonial, mvc and southern(host) conference teams. Not bad and it's on espn.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post
                  Charleston Classic possibly? An ESPN tournament that has had a pretty decent field that last few years, looks like the typical mix is 4 bcs with a10, colonial, mvc and southern(host) conference teams. Not bad and it's on espn.
                  As long as their not bottom feeder BcS teams that could be alright.

Maui
                  Puerto Rico
                  Charleston (don't know what kind of field it has)
                  Vegas
                  Old Spice (Orlando)
                  ??? (Anaheim)

Trying to think of which others are normally pretty good tournaments. Seems the one in Anaheim has been pretty decent the past few years. Not sure if that's just been luck or will continue. Isn't there another one held somewhere around Atlantis or was that just some rumor I'd heard? If there's one down there, maybe new, it will no doubt be a big deal. And I think Cancun is an inbetween type of tournament. Some years are better than others. It's not a bad fall back type of tournament. But the ones above are a nice mixture of places to rotate between and would hopefully bring us back enough that we don't have to find a lesser field to compete with. As long as we continue to win and travel well, we should find ourselves in good tourneys!
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    Iowa could be good enough this year to approach Top 50- 75. Maybe as good as Colorado was this year. They may be middle of the road Big 10. They're trying to get better too.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                    X