2012-2013 Early Season Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012-2013 Early Season Tournaments

For the first time in many, many years we can finally be a little disappointed with our early season tournament. Northern Iowa got the gem this year. SIU has a good one with Baylor, Colorado, St. John's, BC and Dayton. Drake will get a shot at Cal, St. Mary's, Xavier and Georgia Tech. Creighton has Arkansas, Arizona State and Wisconsin. Indiana State has Arizona, Miami, Mississippi, Texas Tech and San Diego State. Bradley and Illinois State have similar level of opponents as we do in Cancun.

When you take our tournament field and combine it with the Air Force selection in the MVC/MWC challenge, it's a little disappointing. However, hopefully this schedule will allow our team to gel and get some confidence and if we are able to add Tennessee and Alabama to our schedule it will be a pretty solid non-con schedule with very few cupcakes.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18787724/2012-13-comprehensive-early-season-events-list

With all the new players we have, I don't mind backloading the schedule.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

next year we should be EXPECTED to be similar to Illinois State of last year...stay within striking distance and hope the for the best in the MVC tourny. I know we should be better, but with 7 new players coming in, it is going to take some time to get the boat sailing straight.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
        next year we should be EXPECTED to be similar to Illinois State of last year...stay within striking distance and hope the for the best in the MVC tourny. I know we should be better, but with 7 new players coming in, it is going to take some time to get the boat sailing straight.
        I'm confused (nothing new to report there), you said in another thread that we will be as good, if not better than last year. If you believe we will be similar to ISU-R of last year, how does that compute to being as good if not better?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
          I'm confused (nothing new to report there), you said in another thread that we will be as good, if not better than last year. If you believe we will be similar to ISU-R of last year, how does that compute to being as good if not better?
          I believe he was talking about how wr will be perceived from the outside. Lots of young talent that can compete, but not for the top spot until the next season. Fair assessment.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I believe he was talking about how wr will be perceived from the outside. Lots of young talent that can compete, but not for the top spot until the next season. Fair assessment.
            Sometimes ole SHOXMVC just needs an interpreter. Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
              Sometimes ole SHOXMVC just needs an interpreter. Thx.
              No worries. I expect us to be picked 4th or 5th preseason. Can't really complain about that considering what CU, ISU and UNI return. DU could have been on that list until Rice left for Illinois. I'm really not sure who else could be listed above us. ISUb was unimpressive last year. UE has fight, but lack talent outside of Ryan as I believe Denver Holmes graduated. SIU was looking to take a slight step forward until they lost Daniels. BU could step forward with a year under them with Geno. But not enough to jump us.

Now, when it comes down to it, I think it's a four team race for the top few spots. UNI will be more experienced and have some nice pieces. Jake is a hell of a coach and gets the most out of his teams so I won't count them out of the race. We're young and inexperienced but have as much or more talent than any team in conference. We know what CU has but they'll be adapting to a new PG with little experience. That could hurt more than people expect unless Chatman steps up and plays like he's capable. ISU could be very dangerous depending on who's coaching them. Lots of talent. One of the best PGs in the conference to go along with one of the best bigs. And plenty of talent around them with some nice FR coming in.

Hopefully the four of us start off well and can build some momentum. I'm not sure we can rely on the other six teams to help much.

I'm still disappointed with the Cancun teams though. Hopefully we get into a better tourney next season.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I know what Marshall is thinking with the Cancun tourney. All these new players are going to need lots of scrimmage time. O actually like playing these low level teams because he gets those extra cupcake games to sort out the lineup. Also, winning a tourney is nice.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I agree. With these "disappointing teams" can come some confidence-building "practice" for our new guys. We will lack a ton of D-1 experience next year. Though we will have talent, we just need to get that talent turned into experience. And this will be a great way to do it.

Comment

But this tournament doesn't appear to do much for the resume'
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Of course it doesn't. Did you miss my point?

Comment

I'm sorry, I forgot some think we can't dance unless we win in STL. These tourneys are normally used to help post season. This does not. It's a very unexciting tourney that does little for us
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If we happen to win the tourney, it's still a feather in our cap. If we don't win it, we probably aren't good enough for an at large anyway. I'm good with it this year.

Although I like seeing the Shox go up against great competition, I don't see the point in taking a very inexperienced team to a very difficult tournament and getting our arse's handed to us.

Comment

One question - When have we ever won in St. Louis? We seem to be snakebit when it comes to winning in St. Louis. You can't do it when you win 2 games, and then blow the 3rd game. You have to have the resolve to go all 3 games.

Marshall has done alright with the teams he has had, but we seem to take 2 steps forward and one back. It was nice to make the Dance this year, but then not much excitement to be a one and done. I enjoyed last year more winning 5 games in the NIT. Everything always seems to be banking on next year, next year, instead of reaching our potential in the current year. Well, lol, I am getting older, and getting a little impatient for the Shockers to have their day in the sun.

I like to be optimistic, but I like to keep a grip on reality too. Everybody seems to get all excited over almost any recruit we pursue, when in reality, most are just roleplayers.
                            We seem to be having some good recruits coming in, and I hope that Marshall can coach them to their potential.

Comment

I have no idea how teams are selected for and how many years in advance schools are scheduled for these pre-season tournaments. I would guess, unless otherwise corrected, that we took the best we could get.

At least our relatively young team does get some playing experience. How much one gets playing so-called pushovers is certainly questionable at best. But, it is certainly better than nothing.

Through the years, I have heard numerous coaches, when questioned why they schedule games against tough teams early in the year reply along the lines, "Because that is the only way my players are going to get better. You learn from playing against better players and teams even if you get your head handed back to you. You learn little from outplaying much less skilled players."

Comment

Working...
                              X