Good ESPN Article about coaches staying put... includes Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shockkansas View Post
    Gregg Marshall is a genius, and he is not leaving WSU for a long time. He is making BCS money, without the BCS expectations. Heck, the guy is a god at WSU, and has yet to win a single NCAA Tourney game in 5 years. Sorry, BCS schools won’t settle for making the tourney every 6 years, and then losing to a school from a lesser conference. Especially a conference below the MVC. BCS coaches get fired for Marshall’s performance. Marshall gets a parade. Why would he leave?

It’s crazy that Marshall even got mentioned in this article. He, after 1 NCAA win in 8 tries is actually mentioned in the same article as coaches from lesser conferences taking teams to the Final 4 and Championship Game. (Plural!) Crazy thing is, WSU actually pays him more than either of these coaches that have actually won! Hard to believe a coach that has been to the National Championship Game twice (in fewer years) actually earns less than 3G.

Don’t worry Shocker fan, 3G is not going anywhere! He has found a great place to live (with low cost of living), a salary he could expect at a school with a much bigger budget, and very little pressure from “fan expectations”. He was even willing to be quoted… 'OK, in order to have value as a college basketball coach, I've got to coach in a Final Four.' I don't feel that way at all. It's all relative."
    This dbag has a serious obsession with WSU. His Kittens have lost their heart and soul in Martin and now have settled for a used-up Big Ten reject. Things are going opposite directions for each respective school. This is the type of post that demonstrates jealousy in the first degree. Why else would he be here on a WSU board in the middle of spring?

Eat it.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      This dbag has a serious obsession with WSU. His Kittens have lost their heart and soul in Martin and now have settled for a used-up Big Ten reject. Things are going opposite directions for each respective school. This is the type of post that demonstrates jealousy in the first degree. Why else would he be here on a WSU board in the middle of spring?

Eat it.
      BSCat is baaaack! Or Matty P has a new name. Or both...
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Awesome article thxs for posting
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
          I was somewhat surprised that the author did not mention Mark Few of the the mighty Bulldogs, sometimes called The Zags.
          I agree, but I almost think that not mentioning Mark Few confirms the point of the argument. For years, Mark Few was the singular example used for the guy who stayed put and was happy. The fact that you could write this article without mentioning Few goes to show how much there has been an increase in coaches willing to stay put rather than pursuing greener pastures.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
            I agree, but I almost think that not mentioning Mark Few confirms the point of the argument. For years, Mark Few was the singular example used for the guy who stayed put and was happy. The fact that you could write this article without mentioning Few goes to show how much there has been an increase in coaches willing to stay put rather than pursuing greener pastures.

Ahh -- but that's just the point. The pasture is not always greener. As Marshall has said before "There is a lot to be said for happy."

Comment

"You can't buy happy".
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                "You can't buy happy".
                But according to David Lee Roth, "you can buy a boat that'll sail right up next to it."
                I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Eat it.
                  most of what he says is the truth, so I dont know why people are getting so upset. Everyone knows the expectations are to win a title every year, but to compare to schools like Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and UCLA would be a mockery. We are not in the same category as expectations as those schools, everyone on this board knew in the back of their mind that a Final 4 was possible, but realistically the Sweet 16 was our ceiling, with Kentucky in our in bracket. The dude did not say anything to mock WSU, he was just saying what was on his mind, and the usual haters took it as disrespect.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                    most of what he says is the truth, so I dont know why people are getting so upset. Everyone knows the expectations are to win a title every year, but to compare to schools like Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and UCLA would be a mockery. We are not in the same category as expectations as those schools, everyone on this board knew in the back of their mind that a Final 4 was possible, but realistically the Sweet 16 was our ceiling, with Kentucky in our in bracket. The dude did not say anything to mock WSU, he was just saying what was on his mind, and the usual haters took it as disrespect.
                    His whole post was intended as disrespect. That's why he posts and then runs away all the time. There may be SOME truth to what he says, but he says it in a way that he knows is disrespectful.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                      Ahh -- but that's just the point. The pasture is not always greener. As Marshall has said before "There is a lot to be said for happy."
                      Sometimes... hmmmmm! :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        His whole post was intended as disrespect. That's why he posts and then runs away all the time. There may be SOME truth to what he says, but he says it in a way that he knows is disrespectful.
                        ... and that's why he's nothing but a CS! :)
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think this sums up the point of the article: "Most coaches at non-BCS schools aren't compensated as well as Stevens, Smart and Marshall. But even the chance to earn twice as much money isn't appealing enough for some to leave a successful program to take over one that is in bad shape."

Our beloved Shocks are a successful program and I have no doubt we will continue to win and to make the dance into the foreseeable future. I do not hate on other programs that have success or make the final four once or twice each decade. I would expect the fan base of such programs to do the same. Maybe I am being too much of an adult on the matter.

Go Shocks!!!!

Go Shocks!!!!
                          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Another good article along the same lines...

Want loyalty? Don't hold your breath

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ld-your-breath

The same coach who signs a top-rated recruiting class in the fall could leave by the spring for another gig, despite promising those kids that he'd be there when they arrived.
                            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

at the end of the day, in most years next year would be a rebuilding year, but with the recruiting 3G has done, he has reloaded to the best of his ability, and is putting the Shocks in a position to do as good as last year, if not better. PERIOD

Comment

IMO, to say we will be as good or better than last year is a bit much. We have so many new faces and it is going to take time and effort to mesh these kids together. They all learn at different speeds. It will be interesting to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                                X