Good ESPN Article about coaches staying put... includes Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good ESPN Article about coaches staying put... includes Marshall

This season's coaching carousel cycle has reinforced a recent trend. For some coaches at mid-major programs, the jump to a BCS school -- and the increased salary and exposure that goes along with it -- isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Good link, JH4P. I'm trying to figure out if he intends to mean that WSU is on par with a 6th place team in the Big 12? The article quotes him saying as much. I suppose it is likely, given teams like Kentucky and Louisville; day in day out the Shox aren't as good as those two were last year, at least talent level wise or NBA prospect wise. Good article, though. Kind of makes a club out of Marshall, Smart, Stevens, and some of the others. Maybe the talented, good-guy basketball coach club?

Comment

He doesn't think Final Fours are the goal here? Fire him now!

I keed, I keed. Excellent article, somebody from the athletic department should make sure recruits see this.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Some could take it that way. Lets be honest, certain BcS jobs have a better shot at a Final Four simply because of money and that it's easier to get into the Dance.

If 3G stays long term, I expect he'll get himself a Final Four. He knows how to build a team that can do some damage. Once in the Dance, a little luck can go a long way for a talented team.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

love this quote!!!!

"I told him, 'I've got a BCS job without a BCS football team."
          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I liked the anonymous comment about the corruption at the higher levels.

"Working at a so-called big time school might lead to my taking motorcycle rides on lonely rural highways with young dubiously hired female staff members who aren't my wife."

OK, so I made that one up. Petrino was just out in the country discussing with her the ups and downs and ins and outs of the job...
            Last edited by ShockBand; April 25, 2012, 02:26 PM.
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Shockband, there were definitely some ups and downs and in and outs. I just don't think it involved football :)

Comment

I was somewhat surprised that the author did not mention Mark Few of the the mighty Bulldogs, sometimes called The Zags.
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                  Petrino was just out in the country discussing with her the ups and downs and ins and outs...
                  No doubt ups and downs and ins and outs were on the agenda.

Comment

Gregg Marshall is a genius, and he is not leaving WSU for a long time. He is making BCS money, without the BCS expectations. Heck, the guy is a god at WSU, and has yet to win a single NCAA Tourney game in 5 years. Sorry, BCS schools won’t settle for making the tourney every 6 years, and then losing to a school from a lesser conference. Especially a conference below the MVC. BCS coaches get fired for Marshall’s performance. Marshall gets a parade. Why would he leave?

It’s crazy that Marshall even got mentioned in this article. He, after 1 NCAA win in 8 tries is actually mentioned in the same article as coaches from lesser conferences taking teams to the Final 4 and Championship Game. (Plural!) Crazy thing is, WSU actually pays him more than either of these coaches that have actually won! Hard to believe a coach that has been to the National Championship Game twice (in fewer years) actually earns less than 3G.

Don’t worry Shocker fan, 3G is not going anywhere! He has found a great place to live (with low cost of living), a salary he could expect at a school with a much bigger budget, and very little pressure from “fan expectations”. He was even willing to be quoted… 'OK, in order to have value as a college basketball coach, I've got to coach in a Final Four.' I don't feel that way at all. It's all relative."

Comment

Douche
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Frank Martin is a genius and he is not leaving KSU for a long . . . oh, wait, nevermind.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by shockkansas View Post
                          Gregg Marshall is a genius, and he is not leaving WSU for a long time. He is making BCS money, without the BCS expectations. Heck, the guy is a god at WSU, and has yet to win a single NCAA Tourney game in 5 years. Sorry, BCS schools won’t settle for making the tourney every 6 years, and then losing to a school from a lesser conference. Especially a conference below the MVC. BCS coaches get fired for Marshall’s performance. Marshall gets a parade. Why would he leave?

It’s crazy that Marshall even got mentioned in this article. He, after 1 NCAA win in 8 tries is actually mentioned in the same article as coaches from lesser conferences taking teams to the Final 4 and Championship Game. (Plural!) Crazy thing is, WSU actually pays him more than either of these coaches that have actually won! Hard to believe a coach that has been to the National Championship Game twice (in fewer years) actually earns less than 3G.

Don’t worry Shocker fan, 3G is not going anywhere! He has found a great place to live (with low cost of living), a salary he could expect at a school with a much bigger budget, and very little pressure from “fan expectations”. He was even willing to be quoted… 'OK, in order to have value as a college basketball coach, I've got to coach in a Final Four.' I don't feel that way at all. It's all relative."
                          Why haven't you been banned? You are a Douche why not return to your KU or KSU board?

Comment

Gregg Marshall is a genius, and he is not leaving WSU for a long time. He is making BCS money, without the BCS expectations. blah blah blah blah"
                            Your actual quote isn't worth addressing.

Ask yourself why you take the time to post on this board, think about what that means about you personally. Make the right decision and quit. Or keep being an insecure person who derives their own personal self worth with what school they attended and/or a fan of and keep posting.

Comment

Stings don't it?

T

...:cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X