Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Game Thread: vs Tarleton State (11/26/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice 12 point surpass by the Shocks. Gus and Kenny played really good which was a shot in the arm. Walton and Porter are our keys. JP could be solid for us if he focuses on team ball. Is Poor Bear injured? Missouri is 7-0, but with their schedule so far, they should be. WSU is 4-2 with some challenges forthcoming that will shed more light on this team.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

ECU lost at 2-3 Old Dominion by 21 tonight.
      Yeah. Like I said. Toss up with them
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        Saw Cheese this past Wednesday and briefly exchanged pleasantries. He would be in the running for most likeable Shocker Hall of Famer.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          How many butts in the seats today?
          It looked horrible in some of the shots on TV.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

So true. It looked like a Shocker Madness crowd on TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I was there and it was as bad of Saturday game day crowd as I have seen in many, many years. I thought it was more like 4,000 actually attending.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

I was there and it was as bad of Saturday game day crowd as I have seen in many, many years. I thought it was more like 4,000 actually attending.
                Bob Uecker crowd…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• If you thought this team would be better than 5-1 at this point then you probably have some UNI in your blood. 4-2 is one off what I would have considered best case scenario. Acceptable? Maybe, maybe not. But not too far off for sure.

I've said several times that I believe this team is a better group of shooters than they have shown to date. They are narrowing that viewpoint somewhat rapidly.

Credit must be given where credit is due. We went into a tough game last night (ignore the name) against a high major coach with success at T A&M and Kentucky and they looked like it, with a decided height advantage and we exploited that. And that success is due to the coaches.

We shot a good percentage because we took quality shots close to the basket. Our usual shot selection to date this season would have resulted in a loss. I have been critical of our shot selection all season. Not last night. We were (and needed to be) substantially improved.

Tarleton is now 3-3. They threw away the game at Arizona State (led 57-50 with 3 minutes to go and imploded down the stretch) led BC (who currently is 4-2) by double digits for the last 30 minutes of their game, were never threatened vs Belmont and gave an old Drake team that's likely to win 23-28 games all they wanted and lost basically because they were terrible from the line (15-24 63%) while the Geese were terrific (25-31 83%). My point is, while they are undersized, they are disciplined, very well coached and play in a manner that gives them their best shot at winning. Beating them was no small task. I don't know if they will stay healthy or be able to sustain that kind of discipline and effort throughout the entire season, but if they do, given their schedule, they will win a ton of games. That is a quality basketball team.

I thought HCIB showed his inexperience a couple of times. His timeout was with 12:23 in the 1st half was a mistake. I understand why he took it. We just gave up a 2nd chance basket that tied the score and he wanted to make a point with the guys. I get it. But we had already burned our use it or lose it first half TO saving a possession on a jump ball and it was wrong to burn a 2nd there. His anger overcame his intelligence there. Later in the 2nd half he lectured CP3 on a turnover. Yes, he turned it over, but it was just bad timing. Craig lost his shoe and his footing and the goal should have been just don't get hurt. Did CP make a mistake on the turnover? Yes. Should it be corrected? Yes. The timing was bad and again, exposed his inexperience in the big chair.

This team is still learning to play together. The argument that it's early and they have the opportunity to improve is valid. They certainly do have that opportunity. They have athleticism and skill and with some experience could be a lot better than they are now. However, that doesn't mean they WILL improve. I certainly have my doubts.

I have addressed the shooting. I still think they will be a better shooting team because they ARE better shooters than they've shown to day (but I also admit that viewpoint is shrinking). That being said, I do NOT believe this is a good ball handling team at all, and I do NOT think that's going to change substantially all season. We are a poor ball handling team and that's going to be tough to overcome. As it will be all season, any time missed by CP3 will likely be an unmitigated disaster for the team.

I think our rebounding continues to improve. It's not great, but it's better.

Tarleton carved up our defense. They especially were effective with the high post and skinny (or short if you prefer) post and cutting into open areas. Our spacing on both ends, but especially on defense in a zone, are absolutely atrocious. We have to improve or decent teams with like athleticism are going to beat our ass.

Now, as a fan, I mostly enjoyed the game. Any WSU that plays hard and with passion is worth supporting and watching imho and they passed yesterday afternoon. This early, and given the circumstances, I think we're cheating ourselves if we project too much. Tuesday is a large game and a big crowd would certainly help the cause.

White shirted Antonio Esfandiari, seated just below the band, was alone, worth the price of admission. Many of us could benefit from his, shall we say, exuberance.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    If you thought this team would be better than 5-1 at this point then you probably have some UNI in your blood. 4-2 is one off what I would have considered best case scenario. Acceptable? Maybe, maybe not. But not too far off for sure.

I've said several times that I believe this team is a better group of shooters than they have shown to date. They are narrowing that viewpoint somewhat rapidly.

Credit must be given where credit is due. We went into a tough game last night (ignore the name) against a high major coach with success at T A&M and Kentucky and they looked like it, with a decided height advantage and we exploited that. And that success is due to the coaches.

We shot a good percentage because we took quality shots close to the basket. Our usual shot selection to date this season would have resulted in a loss. I have been critical of our shot selection all season. Not last night. We were (and needed to be) substantially improved.

Tarleton is now 3-3. They threw away the game at Arizona State (led 57-50 with 3 minutes to go and imploded down the stretch) led BC (who currently is 4-2) by double digits for the last 30 minutes of their game, were never threatened vs Belmont and gave an old Drake team that's likely to win 23-28 games all they wanted and lost basically because they were terrible from the line (15-24 63%) while the Geese were terrific (25-31 83%). My point is, while they are undersized, they are disciplined, very well coached and play in a manner that gives them their best shot at winning. Beating them was no small task. I don't know if they will stay healthy or be able to sustain that kind of discipline and effort throughout the entire season, but if they do, given their schedule, they will win a ton of games. That is a quality basketball team.

I thought HCIB showed his inexperience a couple of times. His timeout was with 12:23 in the 1st half was a mistake. I understand why he took it. We just gave up a 2nd chance basket that tied the score and he wanted to make a point with the guys. I get it. But we had already burned our use it or lose it first half TO saving a possession on a jump ball and it was wrong to burn a 2nd there. His anger overcame his intelligence there. Later in the 2nd half he lectured CP3 on a turnover. Yes, he turned it over, but it was just bad timing. Craig lost his shoe and his footing and the goal should have been just don't get hurt. Did CP make a mistake on the turnover? Yes. Should it be corrected? Yes. The timing was bad and again, exposed his inexperience in the big chair.

This team is still learning to play together. The argument that it's early and they have the opportunity to improve is valid. They certainly do have that opportunity. They have athleticism and skill and with some experience could be a lot better than they are now. However, that doesn't mean they WILL improve. I certainly have my doubts.

I have addressed the shooting. I still think they will be a better shooting team because they ARE better shooters than they've shown to day (but I also admit that viewpoint is shrinking). That being said, I do NOT believe this is a good ball handling team at all, and I do NOT think that's going to change substantially all season. We are a poor ball handling team and that's going to be tough to overcome. As it will be all season, any time missed by CP3 will likely be an unmitigated disaster for the team.

Tarleton carved up our defense. They especially were effective with the high post and skinny (or short if you prefer) post and cutting into open areas. Our spacing on both ends, but especially on defense in a zone, are absolutely atrocious. We have to improve or decent teams with like athleticism are going to beat our ass.

Now, as a fan, I mostly enjoyed the game. Any WSU that plays hard and with passion is worth supporting and watching imho and they passed yesterday afternoon. This early, and given the circumstances, I think we're cheating ourselves if we project too much. Tuesday is a large game and a big crowd would certainly help the cause.

White shirted Antonio Esfandiari, seated just below the band, was alone, worth the price of admission. Many of us could benefit from his, shall we say, exuberance.

Agree on the CP3 turnover. However, I for one was just pleased to see him show some emotion and then hold someone accountable. Seems to be happening more with “his guys” to me.

You can probably spin that as both good or bad.

Comment

• Seems like some of the things Taylor pointed out as far as offensive play execution improved. Maybe he needs to break down our zone defense. Maybe he needs to be our film guy.

Comment

If you thought this team would be better than 5-1 at this point then you probably have some UNI in your blood. 4-2 is one off what I would have considered best case scenario. Acceptable? Maybe, maybe not. But not too far off for sure.

I'm like a roller coaster when it comes to IB. I want to him succeed, but have my doubts he can take us to where we need and deserve to be. Regardless, we need to show up in full-force Tuesday evening. Obviously, tickets are plentiful. We 'moan and groan' about Power 6 programs not wanting to play 'home and home' series with us. Let's show the team we're behind them with a respectable showing Tuesday. Some of you, just hold your nose, get off your couch and get your butts to Koch Arena. In my opinion, the game-day experience is much improved. Rest assured, ADKS will adequately evaluate the program at the end of the season.

Comment

Ok. What's the scoop? Anything we need to know about this kid? My daughter (16) and I spotted him early on and he was certainly entertaining. He finally got his due props on the big screen! That was hysterical.

Comment

• Unfortunately, there’s always the good, the bad and the ugly…

Put him on the staff (double secret consultant to HCIB) STAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I'm like a roller coaster when it comes to IB. I want to him succeed, but have my doubts he can take us to where we need and deserve to be. Regardless, we need to show up in full-force Tuesday evening. Obviously, tickets are plentiful. We 'moan and groan' about Power 6 programs not wanting to play 'home and home' series with us. Let's show the team we're behind them with a respectable showing Tuesday. Some of you, just hold your nose, get off your couch and get your butts to Koch Arena. In my opinion, the game-day experience is much improved. Rest assured, ADKS will adequately evaluate the program at the end of the season.

There are obviously a number of factors impacting game attendance. Giving 3G the boot, the COVID lockdowns and restrictions, making a questionable replacement hire with a very sweet and seccure contract being among those. However, don't underestimate the revolving door of mercenaries moving in and out of the program as a factor dampening fan enthusiasm and interest. Returning to the old days of consistent sell outs will be a monumental task with the current operating environment.

Comment

• X-man and Charles B shared a similar rebounding philosophy…

Comment

Working...
                                X