Fire the coaching staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    As someone that follows the Shockers from afar, I'm finally going to weigh in just a bit. Isaac Brown actually might not be doing that bad of a job. While he probably overachieved his first year, he fell way short last year. It looks, at least to me that he is settling in to becoming a pretty good coach. The Shockers are 4-2, the Richmond win is pretty good.
    The Richmond win is good, but man, losing to Alcorn State is NEVER acceptable from this team. If you're actually making improvements, it's even more unacceptable. The Richmond win was good for sure, but it's a Jekyll and Hyde type of situation most of the time.

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    The Shockers may be a long way from Marshall or Turgeon expectations, but having watched several AAC games, the Shockers have the potential to realistically finish second behind Houston.
    You are MUCH more optimistic than we are. Based on advanced metrics, we are very behind Houston and Memphis, and somewhat behind UCF and Cincy. Early returns, obviously, but not looking great on this front. Not to say that he hasn't grown in terms of game management, but a big part of managing games is recruiting players who help you do so, and while we have some decent pieces (Porter - I count him because he's almost transferred out twice, Walton), I wouldn't say we are recruiting players that put us in a good position to succeed.

This year is the year that you see what he can do; he's got his guys its his system and its his program to run. Last year, he was dealing with a bunch of Marshall's recruits. This is the year that will define him.
    It absolutely will. Marshall's recruiting at the end of his tenure wasn't great for sure, although he did recruit Sherfield, Etienne, Dennis, Stevenson (regardless of what you think of him), Wade, Council, Jenkins, and Echenique. That's actually a pretty good team. Not all of them were with IB, obviously, but it wasn't like Marshall was completely striking out. Five of those guys have gone on to Power 5 teams and all have been relatively successful.

I understand the frustration, but look up north at Nebraska football and see what happens when coaching carousels begin. They often don't end well. I know everyone wants instant success, but that happens much less often than one would think.
    You're absolutely right about Nebraska football. That's a mess. The difference here is that we don't generally have a fanbase with unrealistic expectations, and we're in a conference that has a void to be filled, unlike Nebraska in the Big Ten where Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin will likely own the recruiting in your area. And basketball is much different for that as well, as you don't need near as many players.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I think 7th is the ceiling and that would be overachieving.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WSU has played Memphis three times in the IB era and pretty much didn't belong in the same time zone as $0.01's crew. I don't see that changing this season.

Yet...oddly enough, in the four times that WSU has played Houston in that same time, all were very competitive games.

So...what do I know?
        78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
          No way this team can finish 2nd in the AAC. I hope I am wrong, but just don't see the consistency or development to do that.
          It would take an All American Craig Porter to pull that off. IB first year had a TE playing out of his mind. We shall see.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
            As someone that follows the Shockers from afar, I'm finally going to weigh in just a bit. Isaac Brown actually might not be doing that bad of a job. While he probably overachieved his first year, he fell way short last year. It looks, at least to me that he is settling in to becoming a pretty good coach. The Shockers are 4-2, the Richmond win is pretty good.

The Shockers may be a long way from Marshall or Turgeon expectations, but having watched several AAC games, the Shockers have the potential to realistically finish second behind Houston. This year is the year that you see what he can do; he's got his guys its his system and its his program to run. Last year, he was dealing with a bunch of Marshall's recruits. This is the year that will define him.

I understand the frustration, but look up north at Nebraska football and see what happens when coaching carousels begin. They often don't end well. I know everyone wants instant success, but that happens much less often than one would think.
            Have you looked to see what most if last year's players are doing with their new teams? :

RC IV, Arkansas, 5-1 record, 36.5 MPG (1st), 48.3 FG%, 32.3% 3pt, 71.0 FT%, 19.0 PPG (1st), 3.5 APG (1st), 2.0 Steals (2nd)

Udeze, New Mexico, 6-0 record, 30.0 MPG (2nd), 61.6 FG% (1st), 6.3 RPG (2nd). 19.5 PPG (1st)

Q Grant, Sam Houston, 6-0 record, 23 MPG (1st), 47.6 FG%, 43.3 3pt%, 80.0 FT%, 12.8 PPG (1st), 4.7 APG, 1.8 TOPG, 2.3 Steals PG (1st)

C. Jenkins, ODU, 3-2 record, 30 MPG (1st), 48.4 FG%, 38.5 3pt%, 74.0 FT%, 12.0 PPG (3rd)

C Jackson, Jacksonville St, 1st off the bench, 20 MPG 7.3 PPG (5th), 43.8 3pt%

D Dennis, T A&M record 4-2, 25.2 MPG (2nd), 4.2 RPG (2nd)

All but one of the above are 1st or 2nd in MPG, the 6th is 1st off the bench. Looks like they'd make a damn good team to me.

Comment

• Bump
              The Assman

Comment

• I can’t take another season of this and I don’t think 95% our fanbase can either. Saal will need to figure out a way. We need something to at least believe in.

Comment

• I feel like the players nearly won this game in spite of IB. We've got some talented individuals but there is just absolutely no coaching going on whatsoever.

Comment

• If they were taught to run an offense and play with some discipline, this team would actually be pretty damn good.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                      I can’t take another season of this and I don’t think 95% our fanbase can either. Saal will need to figure out a way. We need something to at least believe in.
                      That's where I'm at. You have Porter, Rojas, and Okafor gone at the end of the year for sure. Can't see Walton staying nor Ricks/Abide. Probably looking at another roster rebuild and .500 year +/- a few wins or losses on either side of that line. I don't see a way out of that circle every year with a coach who is just not ready for this level of basketball. That lack of yearly hope is what kills a fan base.

Comment

• IB is a great human being I'm sure but he's the most stale basketball coach I've ever seen or heard. It's the same repetitive lines every freaking interview. There's no passion. He's just going through the motions. I can't imagine what an actual practice session is like.

IB is a great scout as an assistant. Anything more than that is asking wayyyyyy too much. Thanks a lot, Darron Effing Boatright.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Stupid ball never wins. A stupid coach puts up with it, even installs it and calls it a system. I don’t believe I’ve even seen a well planned inbounds play in IB’s time. I enjoy a great game day experience but I don’t buy tickets to see a circus, I expect to see a disciplined team running a viable system and a game plan that appears to have taken the opponent into account. We need leadership change yesterday. ADKS hear our cry.

Comment

• Our team leaders regress when installed as leaders. Porter is following Etienne and Dennis.
                            Phi Alpha

Comment

• Can I also make a comment? We have technically two head coaches… Where tf is Kennedy in all of this? He wasn’t great by any means, but with his experience, we should be miles ahead of where we are.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
                                Can I also make a comment? We have technically two head coaches… Where tf is Kennedy in all of this? He wasn’t great by any means, but with his experience, we should be miles ahead of where we are.
                                With his health issues I wonder how much he really contributes

Comment

Working...
                                X