2022-23 Media Hate Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022-23 Media Hate Thread

Texas Tech, Wichita State among men’s college basketball transfer portal losers
    https://theathletic.com/3390668/2022...portal-losers/

By The Athletic College Basketball Staff
    Jul 6, 2022

"...Now that the dust has settled, which teams came out as the biggest winners and losers of the sport’s de facto free agency? On Tuesday, some of our national college basketball experts chose their winners from the portal sweepstakes. Now it’s time to flip the page and see which teams were hurt the most by all this player movement....

CJ Moore: Wichita State
    Wichita State had a disappointing season this past year after making the NCAA Tournament and winning the American Athletic Conference in Isaac Brown’s first season at head coach. With a majority of that core back, the Shockers went just 6-9 in the AAC. They were hard to watch as Tyson Etienne took some of the worst shots imaginable in a season where he was returning to show he could play point guard.

It was probably best for the Shockers that Etienne decided to go pro, but even with him gone, everyone else seemed ready to move on. The Shockers had seven scholarship players transfer, losing nearly 83 percent of their scoring. Even if they’d had a good season, it might not have mattered with some of their top players, as NIL also played a part in roster retention. The athletic department being late to the NIL game is part of the reason athletic director Darron Boatright lost his job. But by the time WSU boosters put together a collective, the damage had already been done.

The major losses were Ricky Council IV (who transferred to Arkansas), Dexter Dennis (Texas A&M) and Morris Udeze (New Mexico). All three made our top transfer list. None of the seven transfers the Shockers brought in were on that list. Maybe Brown and his coaches found some hidden gems with their incoming class, but it’s not healthy for any program to have to bring in that many transfers. The Shockers have only two rotation players returning in Craig Porter and Kenny Pohto, and they nearly lost Porter to the portal. That’s the one the Wichita State collective was able to save.

The biggest loss is Council. One AAC coach told me he was the best NBA prospect in the league last year. Had Etienne left a year earlier, he’d probably gotten his shot to be a star and maybe he sticks around.

Brown was able to thrive after the major exodus that forced Gregg Marshall out and gave Brown his shot, but one key then was holding onto some important members of that core like Dennis, Udeze, Etienne and Trey Wade. This is a total rebuild...."

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

Jul 6, 2022

"...Now that the dust has settled, which teams came out as the biggest winners and losers of the sport’s de facto free agency? On Tuesday, some of our national college basketball experts chose their winners from the portal sweepstakes. Now it’s time to flip the page and see which teams were hurt the most by all this player movement....

Wichita State had a disappointing season this past year after making the NCAA Tournament and winning the American Athletic Conference in Isaac Brown’s first season at head coach. With a majority of that core back, the Shockers went just 6-9 in the AAC. They were hard to watch as Tyson Etienne took some of the worst shots imaginable in a season where he was returning to show he could play point guard.

It was probably best for the Shockers that Etienne decided to go pro, but even with him gone, everyone else seemed ready to move on. The Shockers had seven scholarship players transfer, losing nearly 83 percent of their scoring. Even if they’d had a good season, it might not have mattered with some of their top players, as NIL also played a part in roster retention. The athletic department being late to the NIL game is part of the reason athletic director Darron Boatright lost his job. But by the time WSU boosters put together a collective, the damage had already been done.

The major losses were Ricky Council IV (who transferred to Arkansas), Dexter Dennis (Texas A&M) and Morris Udeze (New Mexico). All three made our top transfer list. None of the seven transfers the Shockers brought in were on that list. Maybe Brown and his coaches found some hidden gems with their incoming class, but it’s not healthy for any program to have to bring in that many transfers. The Shockers have only two rotation players returning in Craig Porter and Kenny Pohto, and they nearly lost Porter to the portal. That’s the one the Wichita State collective was able to save.

The biggest loss is Council. One AAC coach told me he was the best NBA prospect in the league last year. Had Etienne left a year earlier, he’d probably gotten his shot to be a star and maybe he sticks around.

Brown was able to thrive after the major exodus that forced Gregg Marshall out and gave Brown his shot, but one key then was holding onto some important members of that core like Dennis, Udeze, Etienne and Trey Wade. This is a total rebuild...."
    How is this hate? Most of it is true. I don't think RC4 was the best NBA prospect in the AAC. That's a joke. I for one am glad that the majority of Marshall players are gone. Good riddance to them. TE and RC4 were drama queens. And some clown still talking about Tre Wade. Marshall said he was a pro. Bullsht. He is a pro water boy for a minor league football team. It way time to move on from the past. Go Shocks.

Comment

The biggest loss is Council. One AAC coach told me he was the best NBA prospect in the league last year.
      Jalen Duren went 13th in the NBA draft...

Comment

Jul 6, 2022

The fact that Udeze made their top transfer list tells me all I need to know. Then they go and say Brown has been able to thrive. Rubbish. The Athletic is getting sloppy with this. Not saying the team is dramatically improved but the biggest loser?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

The fact that Udeze made their top transfer list tells me all I need to know. Then they go and say Brown has been able to thrive. Rubbish. The Athletic is getting sloppy with this. Not saying the team is dramatically improved but the biggest loser?
          If not the biggest loser, we were definitely up there.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Would we consider ourselves winners if most of the outgoing players stayed? I think the roster needed some new blood. It would have been nice to keep Ricky and/or Dex, but I'm okay with the other departures given last year's performance.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Would we consider ourselves winners if most of the outgoing players stayed? I think the roster needed some new blood. It would have been nice to keep Ricky and/or Dex, but I'm okay with the other departures given last year's performance.
              Of course we'd be better off if a couple of the guys stayed. But the big thing is we lost a couple of valuable pieces and on paper, we've replaced them with players that aren't held in nearly the same level of play. We have a couple of guys with some potential, but nobody that has shown they can definitely step in and be a major factor. Time will tell if they step up, but we definitely lost more than we brought in on paper and that's all you really have to go on at this point. Having a coach that many don't have a lot of faith in factors into that as well as I'm not sure you can really expect him to develop anyone based on his limited history.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Ricky is a major NBA prospect. He has size, athleticism and experience. He can shoot the 3, take it to the hole and he rebounds. The biggest knock is is tendency to zone out of defense. The NBA cares way more about the this things that are in Ricky’s favor.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Well, for once you were halfway accurate; Mo will be hard to replace.

Dex, on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Ricky is a major NBA prospect. He has size, athleticism and experience. He can shoot the 3, take it to the hole and he rebounds. The biggest knock is is tendency to zone out of defense. The NBA cares way more about the this things that are in Ricky’s favor.
                    Ricky has the tools to play at the highest level, but I was always uncomfortable with his funky looking shot and questioned if it might be a ‘roadblock’ to achieving his goals. Probably a lack of coaching during his formative years.

His shot and play reminded me some of Jamaal Wilkes, former Laker great; guess anything is possible. It still ‘grinds my gears’ that Ricky got away…

Boattriggghhttt!!!!!

“Wilkes’ soft shot was one of the oddest imaginable. He lofted the ball with a release that was so “wrong’ that it could never have been taught, much less analyzed. He cocked with a motion that looked as if he were reaching over his shoulder to scratch a shoulder blade, then launched a high trajectory shot from somewhere behind his right ear. The ball seemed to have an odd sideways spin toward the hoop, but it went through nearly 50 percent of the time during his NBA career. Wilkes was also a solid free-throw shooter. And he shot quietly, too. Lakers coach Paul Westhead described Wilkes’ shooting in the Los Angeles Times as being like “snow falling off a bamboo leaf.’”

https://www.nba.com/news/history-nba...-jamaal-wilkes
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Ricky has the tools to play at the highest level, but I was always uncomfortable with his funky looking shot and questioned if it might be a ‘roadblock’ to achieving his goals. Probably a lack of coaching during his formative years.

His shot and play reminded me some of Jamaal Wilkes, former Laker great; guess anything is possible. It still ‘grinds my gears’ that Ricky got away…

Boattriggghhttt!!!!!

“Wilkes’ soft shot was one of the oddest imaginable. He lofted the ball with a release that was so “wrong’ that it could never have been taught, much less analyzed. He cocked with a motion that looked as if he were reaching over his shoulder to scratch a shoulder blade, then launched a high trajectory shot from somewhere behind his right ear. The ball seemed to have an odd sideways spin toward the hoop, but it went through nearly 50 percent of the time during his NBA career. Wilkes was also a solid free-throw shooter. And he shot quietly, too. Lakers coach Paul Westhead described Wilkes’ shooting in the Los Angeles Times as being like “snow falling off a bamboo leaf.’”

https://www.nba.com/news/history-nba...-jamaal-wilkes

Keep in mind though that Gregg’s best shooting team by far was the Final 4 recruiting class. Before that, all’s we had was Toure’ Murry occasionally looking like Steph Curry and David Kyles dunk machine surrounded by a lot mid-level talent that was fun to watch. After the Final 4 team it’s honestly kind of hard to remember what was even going on with all the transfers. Lol. That’s my brutally honest take on how well they have shot the ball over the years

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post

Keep in mind though that Gregg’s best shooting team by far was the Final 4 recruiting class. Before that, all’s we had was Toure’ Murry occasionally looking like Steph Curry and David Kyles dunk machine surrounded by a lot mid-level talent that was fun to watch. After the Final 4 team it’s honestly kind of hard to remember what was even going on with all the transfers. Lol. That’s my brutally honest take on how well they have shot the ball over the years

Without looking at the numbers .. the best shooting team to me was the 2017-18 team. Landry, Austin, Conner, McDuffie. Even the big men, Shaq, Rauno and Willis were all respectable from deep. That team without a doubt is the biggest dissapointment of a team in recent memory. On paper that team was Elite .. but rarely showed it.

Edit:
                        Looked up the stats and cried a little. What I wouldn't give for these numbers again:
                        2p% 3p%
                        Landry 56 44
                        Shaq 58 39
                        Willis 54 38
                        Frankamp 51 36
                        McDuffie 52 34
                        Zach Brown 60 32
                        SHJ 40 44
                        Rauno 58 30
                        Reaves 50 43
                        This year our best 3p% was Porter at 34% followed by Grant by 33% then Etienne at 32%. So basically 7 people on the 2017-2018 team shot 3s better than our best player last year ...
                        Last edited by Stickboy46; July 8, 2022, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Without looking at the numbers .. the best shooting team to me was the 2017-18 team. Landry, Austin, Conner, McDuffie. Even the big men, Shaq, Rauno and Willis were all respectable from deep. That team without a doubt is the biggest dissapointment of a team in recent memory. On paper that team was Elite .. but rarely showed it.

Edit:
                          Looked up the stats and cried a little. What I wouldn't give for these numbers again:
                          2p% 3p%
                          Landry 56 44
                          Shaq 58 39
                          Willis 54 38
                          Frankamp 51 36
                          McDuffie 52 34
                          Zach Brown 60 32
                          SHJ 40 44
                          Rauno 58 30
                          Reaves 50 43
                          This year our best 3p% was Porter at 34% followed by Grant by 33% then Etienne at 32%. So basically 7 people on the 2017-2018 team shot 3s better than our best player last year ...
                          That team was really the beginning of the end. I think the dysfunction behind the scenes was why they rarely showed they were elite. I remember when they got thumped by 30 at Intrust by Oklahoma State, I was sitting there saying “Something about this just doesn’t add up. Maybe they had a bad week in practice?” and naturally they went down to Stillwater the following year and got their revenge. But even after that revenge game, they oddly never looked Final 4 caliber. After 2018 is when players literally started fleeing the campus in droves as if they were I dunno, scared of something? Lol. What a mess.. The only positive these days is the program is hopefully in a state of slow recovery

Comment

That team was the epitome of square peg in a round hole. 3G did not want to compromise his system and he underutilized Frankamp and then put Landry at pg, which was not ideal.

Comment

I too agree that something felt “off” with that team. When they lost to Marshall in the NCAA Tournament, I was highly disappointed but yet wasn’t surprised when I really thought about it.
                              78-65

Comment

Working...
                              X