Done Supporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ABC View Post

Randy should have never been hired, in my opinion. I will admit that I didn't think that at the time.
    I was very excited about Randy. There was a sense of inevitable success with that hire, which turned out to be a mirage.

One should not overestimate the bona fides of legacy hires.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

My recollection is that Jim Schaus was brought in to replace Bill “asleep at the wheel” Bellnap sometime during Randy’s last year. I believe his first assignment was to fire Randy. We were a play in team that year. I went to St Louis and watched us get beat by Drake in the play in game. Randy and Jim Schaus both returned to Wichita and Randy was fired that night…..then came the era with Turgeon , the roundhouse renovation and ticket drive…..which I was involved in .

Comment

Originally posted by Overtime View Post
        My recollection is that Jim Schaus was brought in to replace Bill “asleep at the wheel” Bellnap sometime during Randy’s last year. I believe his first assignment was to fire Randy. We were a play in team that year. I went to St Louis and watched us get beat by Drake in the play in game. Randy and Jim Schaus both returned to Wichita and Randy was fired that night…..then came the era with Turgeon , the roundhouse renovation and ticket drive…..which I was involved in .
        Schaus came in and got to work ASAP! He was just top-notch. We were so fortunate to have him here when we did. And along those lines, has anything been stated publicly about a timeline for the AD hire? I'm assuming they would want to have someone in place within a couple of months wouldn't they? Coaching searches are typically pretty urgent. Time is critical. AD? I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

WSU hired Scott Thompson instead of John Calipari and then hired Randy Smithson instead of Bill Self. I know hindsight is 20/20, but...

Maybe my memory is wrong, but I don't ever remember John Calipari as a serious candidate (he may have been a name mentioned but not serious interest). When they hired Scott Thompson, the candidate who came in for a visit before turning us down (I think Valvano was offered in the neighborhood of the mid 400 thousands which was a lot of money back in 1993 or 94) was Jimmy Valvano who was a television analyst at the time. Valvano was really impressed, and gave us compliments, and continuing publicity afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Maybe my memory is wrong, but I don't ever remember John Calipari as a serious candidate (he may have been a name mentioned but not serious interest). When they hired Scott Thompson, the candidate who came in for a visit before turning us down (I think Valvano was offered in the neighborhood of the mid 400 thousands which was a lot of money back in 1993 or 94) was Jimmy Valvano who was a television analyst at the time. Valvano was really impressed, and gave us compliments, and continuing publicity afterward.
            Valvano close to signing as Wichita State head basketball coach - UPI Archives

I don't know how seriously Calipari was interested or considered, but it was enough to be mentioned here.
            78-65

Comment

Valvano close to signing as Wichita State head basketball coach - UPI Archives

I don't know how seriously Calipari was interested or considered, but it was enough to be mentioned here.
              Good read. It's hilarious how they mention Valvano would be under the spotlight because of his past allegations...but 2 of the 3 other coaches listed were Calipari (noted cheater) and Neil McCarthy who was fired for a huge academic scandal. I guess we went with the safe pick.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

Good read. It's hilarious how they mention Valvano would be under the spotlight because of his past allegations...but 2 of the 3 other coaches listed were Calipari (noted cheater) and Neil McCarthy who was fired for a huge academic scandal. I guess we went with the safe pick.
                I don't think Cal had been caught for cheating yet at that point (his troubles came in 1996)...but yeah...
                78-65

Comment

I don't think Cal had been caught for cheating yet at that point (his troubles came in 1996)...but yeah...
                  McCarthy's came in the mid-90's too - but I just thought it was ironic.

Comment

My recollection at the time was that everyone thought Scott Thompson was a very good hire. He had been successful at Rice……but I’m not even sure if Rice really actively recruited at that time…but as it turned out he had a painful four years. It was so bad at times I remember actually feeling sorry for him during games. He looked miserable. The team was playing miserably.

Comment

Originally posted by Overtime View Post
                      My recollection at the time was that everyone thought Scott Thompson was a very good hire. He had been successful at Rice……but I’m not even sure if Rice really actively recruited at that time…but as it turned out he had a painful four years. It was so bad at times I remember actually feeling sorry for him during games. He looked miserable. The team was playing miserably.
                      For those of you who experienced the 90s, how would you compare Scott Thompson to Isaac Brown? The story I remember hearing was that after ST was hired, he was asked either at the press conference or a social gathering after his hiring, "Are you going to beat KU?" The person who told this story (someone here on SN) said that he stammered and paused and meekly said, "Well, we are gonna try." It was at that point that the storyteller knew that he wouldn't be successful. Anyone else remember this or at least remember hearing that story?
                      78-65

Comment

Anybody remember the meet and greet for Eddie Folger at the Canterbury Inn when he was first hired? It was an unforgettable night if you attended.

Comment

Originally posted by shox7 View Post
                          Anybody remember the meet and greet for Eddie Folger at the Canterbury Inn when he was first hired? It was an unforgettable night if you attended.
                          Need details for us young people

Comment

Originally posted by shox7 View Post
                            Totally unacceptable dangle there.

Comment

For those of you who experienced the 90s, how would you compare Scott Thompson to Isaac Brown? The story I remember hearing was that after ST was hired, he was asked either at the press conference or a social gathering after his hiring, "Are you going to beat KU?" The person who told this story (someone here on SN) said that he stammered and paused and meekly said, "Well, we are gonna try." It was at that point that the storyteller knew that he wouldn't be successful. Anyone else remember this or at least remember hearing that story?
                              The only easy comparison is that Thompson, Cohen and IB are very nice people. IB to be determined on the results but, uh, well, we shall see. IB definitely inherited a much better situation in that he had a program with cache and had good pieces. On the flip side, immediately following a dynamic coach is just a tough spot to be in. But you take the good with the bad and roll with it.

Comment

Coach Folger had been celebrating being hired and showed up a little late. He was really pretty smashed, slurring his words and dropping F bombs like a crazy. Who the F’ing Shox we’re going to beat, how F’ing bad we’re going to F’ing beat them. Initially everyone was caught off guard but the longer he talked the more fired up us Shocker fans got. Classic fun night I won’t forget. Got a standing O after he was done talking!

Comment

Working...
                                X