No announcement yet.

Done Supporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said I was done until DB was gone. Time to put my money where my mouth is. I will have to cut back from 4 season tix to 2, but I think I’m going to renew now. My mom and I will split the tickets, so that helps soften the cost. It also keeps me from having to commit to so many games, which has been more difficult as I have had little freeloaders pitter-pattering around my house.
    78-65

Comment

Seems premature to do anything. You have no idea who they will hire as AD, and the basketball program is still being run by HCIB. The firing of DB is the first step, the problem is we don't know if it is the first step over the ledge, or the first step to climbing out of the pit WSU basketball is in.

Comment

We are not going the season tickets route for the first time in way more years that I care to think about. I think there will be plenty of seats available for home games... and they will probably better seats than our season ticket seats. I plan on spending the savings on Ubers and beers, but I might share some of those savings with local companies whose names were on an NIL list.

Comment

I remember talking to Schaus during the season right before Randy Smithson was fired. He said "these fans deserve more."

He said that because 6,7000 fans were still attending games. Thus, he had something to sell to Turgeon and Charles Koch.

I am not reducing my contributions or season ticket purchases. But I understand the sentiment, I just don't agree with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
            I remember talking to Schaus during the season right before Randy Smithson was fired. He said "these fans deserve more."

He said that because 6,7000 fans were still attending games. Thus, he had something to sell to Turgeon and Charles Koch.

I am not reducing my contributions or season ticket purchases. But I understand the sentiment, I just don't agree with it.
            The difference is the admin was pushing for change and success. That’s why they brought in Randy. He was supposed to return them to the promised land. When that crashed and burned they wasted no time in moving on and finding a quality replacement.
            Schaus was about vision and excellence. We have been lacking that in the Athletics Dept. Hopefully that will change.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Took four years to show him the door and he could have probably parlayed that to a couple of more years if he had gotten rid of his top assistant after running off Maurice Evans. Plus he was sanctioned once by the ncaa for running extended practice. Didn't seem to be real pro active for those of us that suffered through it.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                Took four years to show him the door and he could have probably parlayed that to a couple of more years if he had gotten rid of his top assistant after running off Maurice Evans. Plus he was sanctioned once by the ncaa for running extended practice. Didn't seem to be real pro active for those of us that suffered through it.
                Randy should have never been hired, in my opinion. I will admit that I didn't think that at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post

Randy should have never been hired, in my opinion. I will admit that I didn't think that at the time.
                  Isn't that when Bill Self wanted the job?
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Isn't that when Bill Self wanted the job?
                    I don't remember that, but I do remember Bill Self at Tulsa during the Randy era. We played TU twice, and beat them the second time. He never wanted to play us again (either at TU or at KU). He became pretty "Smug" about it too. He didn't seem to like that our fans were seriously motivated.

Comment

Last game of Scott Thompson was against ORU, we lost and he resigned. Should have won that game, but were outhustled and out coached, Bill Self was their coach, Remember telling my wife
                      that he was a very good coach and was very impressed how he was able to make his team much greater that the talent level he had. Told her we should hire him to replace Scott. I was very sad when I found out that he did apply, wanted the job, and we passed over him for Randy. Liked Randy alot but was not head coach material.

Comment

I loved Randy. I grew up going to his summer camps while my brother played in the HS divisions over the summer. The twins were on my team one summer. I went to HS with them and played some HS ball with Reggie, who is now my insurance guy. I understand why they went with Randy and I wish it had worked out as it would have been a great story. But what made him great at the JUCO level, didn't really translate to great success at the D1 level.

It does make one wonder what kind of trajectory we would have been on had we hired Self instead. I have no doubt he wouldn't have been here long, but he would have most likely left us in really good shape for whoever would have taken over afterward. What could have been.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          I loved Randy. I grew up going to his summer camps while my brother played in the HS divisions over the summer. The twins were on my team one summer. I went to HS with them and played some HS ball with Reggie, who is now my insurance guy. I understand why they went with Randy and I wish it had worked out as it would have been a great story. But what made him great at the JUCO level, didn't really translate to great success at the D1 level.

It does make one wonder what kind of trajectory we would have been on had we hired Self instead. I have no doubt he wouldn't have been here long, but he would have most likely left us in really good shape for whoever would have taken over afterward. What could have been.
                          WSU hired Scott Thompson instead of John Calipari and then hired Randy Smithson instead of Bill Self. I know hindsight is 20/20, but...

78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

WSU hired Scott Thompson instead of John Calipari and then hired Randy Smithson instead of Bill Self. I know hindsight is 20/20, but...

....and IB instead of ????

Comment

Bob Richey lol

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

....and IB instead of ????
                                Considering the job was never open for interest we may never really know. But we did hear a few names that were interested and we can be pretty sure of one guy who would have come back if offered and is now making great money coaching elsewhere.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X