Gus Okafor Transfer is a Shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Poor job of balanced recruiting. Brown recruited lots of 2s and 3s (we already had a couple of them returning too), but Okafor is the only true 4 recruit, and he is a stretch 4. Not a good job of recruiting. Lots of 2s and 3s. Two true 5s and a returning 5. Not any true 1 recruits. Just one true returning 1 in Porter.
    The staff is apparently looking for a backup PG to fill the final scholarship.

As far as the frontcourt goes, I see Ballard and Pohto at the 5, Okafor and Abidde at the 4, and Rojas playing a bit of both. I would prefer extra depth considering Ballard and Abidde are both unknowns, but it's not terrible if one of those guys delivers and Rojas is solid.

Comment

Poor job of balanced recruiting. Brown recruited lots of 2s and 3s (we already had a couple of them returning too), but Okafor is the only true 4 recruit, and he is a stretch 4. Not a good job of recruiting. Lots of 2s and 3s. Two true 5s and a returning 5. Not any true 1 recruits. Just one true returning 1 in Porter.
      Not to mention that the two 5's that were recruited are big question marks, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

The staff is apparently looking for a backup PG to fill the final scholarship.

As far as the frontcourt goes, I see Ballard and Pohto at the 5, Okafor and Abidde at the 4, and Rojas playing a bit of both. I would prefer extra depth considering Ballard and Abidde are both unknowns, but it's not terrible if one of those guys delivers and Rojas is solid.
        According to Taylor E. Rojas is a solid 5, but a questionable 4, especially on defense.

Comment

According to Taylor E. Rojas is a solid 5, but a questionable 4, especially on defense.
          I've seen that. Strange, because Rojas is listed as a Forward on Alabama's website, ESPN, etc.

If Rojas is playing the 5, I can't imagine Quincy Ballard will see many minutes unless Kenny Pohto plays more at the 4.

Comment

Has anyone ever seen a kid listed at 6'6" that came in and was actually 6'6"?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              Has anyone ever seen a kid listed at 6'6" that came in and was actually 6'6"?
              Yes

Comment

Well he looks 6'6 to me. But it doesn't really matter because he plays bigger than his height. Cheese was only 6'5 and he played bigger than his height. And so did Claudis Johnson who was listed at 6'6. They say he is 6'6 and weighs 230. Looks like it to me. And he can dribble the ball and shoot the 3 off the catch and dribble. He plays a physical game. I am OK with it. Go Shocks.

Comment

He had impressive drives to the hoop against Southland defenders. Qua Grant was killer going to the hoop against DII defenders. Unless he can establish himself as a 35+% maker from 3, I believe he's a 3/4 role player. 3/4 is a reference to positions, not ability. Eldridge seemed to be unimpressed.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                    He had impressive drives to the hoop against Southland defenders. Qua Grant was killer going to the hoop against DII defenders. Unless he can establish himself as a 35+% maker from 3, I believe he's a 3/4 role player. 3/4 is a reference to positions, not ability. Eldridge seemed to be unimpressed.
                    Not sure about his playing ability, but he has the equipment to mop the floor with the best. Give him a bucket of **** and Span and let him be the man.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Not sure about his playing ability, but he has the equipment to mop the floor with the best. Give him a bucket of **** and Span and let him be the man.
                      As long as he can take off balance 35 footers, IB will let him be the man. Doesn't matter if they go in consistently, It's cool, let's dawgs be Dawgs.

Comment

A true PG should be a major priority

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

A true PG should be a major priority
                          That's what I"ve heard. 2's and 3's look pretty good, to be potential (?) positions of strength. 5 has questions marks too, but may be a strength with 3 intriguing possibilities. PG isn't our only weak spot, and our starting PG will probably be one of our strengths. Questions regarding our 4.
                          Last edited by Shockm; June 14, 2022, 09:18 AM.

Comment

That's what I"ve heard. 2's and 3's look pretty good, to be potential (?) positions of strength. 5 has questions marks too, but may be a strength with 3 intriguing possibilities. PG isn't our only weak spot, and our starting PG will probably be one of our strengths. Questions regarding our 4.
                            What is intriguing about Ballard?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

What is intriguing about Ballard?
                              For starters he is a HUGE (no fat), athletic, long armed, 7'1" Center. He probably isn't ready for Prime Time (offensively), but his defense, rebounding, and rim protecting should improve quicker, and make him a decent back up. His past statistics regarding blocked shots (when he's played) is very intriguing, and he probably is the 3rd best option (so he'll receive fewer minutes), but he does provide necessary depth at the 5 . Taylor says Rojas is solid (providing he doesn't get hurt again), and Pohto has a lot of potential as we know so we likely don't need Ballard immediately.

Comment

For starters he is a HUGE (no fat), athletic, long armed, 7'1" Center. He probably isn't ready for Prime Time (offensively), but his defense, rebounding, and rim protecting should improve quicker, and make him a decent back up. His past statistics regarding blocked shots (when he's played) is very intriguing, and he probably is the 3rd best option (so he'll receive fewer minutes), but he does provide necessary depth at the 5 . Taylor says Rojas is solid (providing he doesn't get hurt again), and Pohto has a lot of potential as we know so we likely don't need Ballard immediately.
                                There is nothing that tells me Ballard will be anything but a minimal minute eater at the end of the bench. I hope I am wrong but not sure how you can get anything about his defensive prowess from 4 minutes per game. There is more data to point to a very minimal role player.

Comment

Working...
                                X