James Rojas is a Shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Whether or not the mid-range shot is an efficient weapon for any individual player depends on the skills of that player. So for a team it would depend on what kind of player they are recruiting.

Will a team with great long range shooting beat a team with great mid-range shooting? Most likely yes. Although a lot of other factors come into play such as how good is a team in defending the perimeter shooting.

For Aaron Ellis the mid-range shot was more efficient for him than the long-range shots.
    Absolutely true. But Aaron Ellis, for all he brought to the team, had the second lowest eFG% on the team in 2011 per KenPom, meaning that the shots he took were less efficient than the vast majority of the team.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Wrong as usual. Your chart don't mean squat. Look at the players we got. CP is a tough imidrange pull up shooter.Kevin Sampson said it was old school. They could not stop him. . They had to go to a zone to stop him.. It might be his best shot.. Jaron Pierre video shows he can make that shot any time and get separation. Gus Okafor can flat out kill the midrange. And don't you dare look at the video of Courtside films on Jaykwon Walton. You will probably wet your diaper. He can flat out shoot the midrange.. As someone else said it depends on the skill of the player. So look at our players instead of some. DUMB NBA CHART.
      Craig Porter, per Torvik, shoots only 40% on non-at the rim shots (essentially mid-range shots). He’s a good player, but that’s not his strength. One game does not make his entire profile. That’s 0.8 PPP in 2022. For clarity, 1.00 PPP is considered average.

https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.ph...t=Wichita%20St.

Gus Okafor, also per Torvik, shoots 35.7% on mid-range shots in 2022. That’s .71 PPP.

https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.ph...rn%20Louisiana

Forgot to include Pierre. He was actually great! (He wasn’t). He was the worst…31.5% on mid-range shots. That’s an incredible 0.63 PPP.

https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.ph...outhern%20Miss

We don’t have a ton of data on Walton, but it hasn’t been great. He barely saw the court at Georgia.

I have data; what do you have?
      Last edited by Kel Varnsen; June 9, 2022, 12:46 PM.

Comment

All this to say, being around better players may enhance their profile. But at some point, who are the players enhancing other players’ percentages? We have to have good shooters for that to be the case.

Comment

We are off the track of Rojas.

I will add that I'm not sure I understand why people are arguing about Aaron Ellis. I liked him because he was loyal for 4 years. He made a good number of "BIG SHOTS", especially in the NIT Championship games. He was a good Div. 1 college player.

However, Aaron was never one of our main pieces. He probably was not higher than 9th or 10th most important player (playing time/minutes) on a very deep team of 10 or 11 players. He was a quality depth piece, and I'm glad he was a Shocker.

Let's argue about current things, like why we only went 15-13 last year, and at the bottom of the conference, and the talent we had never came together.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X