Some of this loss boils down to.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
    The reason we lost is pure and simple, we didn't make shots. In every loss we had this year, we missed shots normally made. Six loses. Two in overtime, two others by 1 and 3 points. The common thread, shooting percentage. It didn't have anything to do with the MVC. It didn't have anything to do with athleticism. Bad shooting happens to good teams, it sucks when it does. We had a great year. We weren't great tonight.
    Exactly right. This time it was not the refs or someone shooting lights out. It was us not making shots pure and simple. We can blame it on not playing a zone or whatever...but we handled the pressure well, we even handled being out of sync offensively, but the bottom line is we didn't make shots we normally make. Too bad because I was looking forward to playing Kentucky.

Comment

Originally posted by shocksrbest View Post
      Exactly right. This time it was not the refs or someone shooting lights out. It was us not making shots pure and simple. We can blame it on not playing a zone or whatever...but we handled the pressure well, we even handled being out of sync offensively, but the bottom line is we didn't make shots we normally make. Too bad because I was looking forward to playing Kentucky.
      I think we all were looking forward to Wichita State-Kentucky (long overdue). But VCU gambled everything on stopping the fast break... easy baskets (must have watched the Davidson game tape). ->'Sure paid off<-. 'Still hard to believe WSU shot that badly in back-to-back games, though. One thing a senior dominated team is NOT supposed to do is have two bad games back-to-back. But all credit to VCU and Shaka Smart.. they COMPLETELY negated the WSU fast break (season low points total), RamTough. Hats off to that strategy. Most WSU fans still have no idea what happened. CHOKE THE FAST BREAK.. "f8C& the rebounds.. get back!"
      Last edited by another shocker; March 17, 2012, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I thought we pizzed down our leg and took bad shots.

Comment

Originally posted by shocksrbest View Post
          Just as we couldn't look past VCU, the next game would have been against Indiana, not Kentucky. Looking past your next opponent is always dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
            Just as we couldn't look past VCU, the next game would have been against Indiana, not Kentucky. Looking past your next opponent is always dangerous.
            As fans, we can look past as many opponents as we want. Last I checked, none of use actually play on the team, so looking past an opponent to who might be next doesn't really matter.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
              We need the resident Texas cow patty expert, Kung, to translate this one.
              Kung, Kung, Kung! Where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
                As fans, we can look past as many opponents as we want. Last I checked, none of use actually play on the team, so looking past an opponent to who might be next doesn't really matter.
                Oh...I forgot my role as a fan...I will bone up on my fan manual.
                :-)

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  Yeah, they did that after the run game was choked off (season low points) from jump street.

Comment

+1
                    +1
                    +1
                    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      There's plenty of blame to go around. Coaches, players, VCU's defense. Hell, I will take some of the blame for watching the game at Chili's, a phenomenon I will never repeat.
                      That was a poor choice. I would have hated it. :tears_of_joy:

--Niels Bohr

Comment

All season, there were two aspects of our game, which nagged at me.

1. One of our most active shooters was a mediocre maker. He shot less than 43%.

2. We did not get enough scoring from the 2 guard, particularly by dribble penetration and finishing.

Since other aspects of our game were pretty good to excellent, we were able to paper over the shortcomings mention in #1 and #2 above.

When facing better teams such as V.C.U., the weaknesses can lead to defeat.

While V.C.U.'s defense is stingy and competent, it was not the killer blow, which lead to our defeat. The loss was caused by poor shot making. If we had shot 42%, we win the game. We shot 39%.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

We shot poorly because VCU's pressure made us speed up just a little too much. Most of our shots, especially first half, were about a second faster than, what I believe, our players were comfortable at. We were out of sync on offense, plain and simple.

Comment

What I wish we would have done during the game is get the ball in faster after a VCU make. It seemed like we would take our time and this allowed VCU to set up their full court press. In the game today, Indiana got the ball in quick before VCU could get anything set up.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              Agreed. There were some real boneheaded shots by a few players at key times. The bad thing was they were repeated almost at consecutive possessions at times. Shots that literally had zero chance of going in too. Then again, a lot of them have been attempted all year for no good reason at all.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
                                The Valley blows, but it's not the Valley's fault we lost this game. The first 25 minutes of rushed shots cost us the game. We didn't turn the ball over but we took a bunch of horrible shots especially early. I'll mark this down as the most disappointing loss I've ever witnessed in all of my time of being a sports fan.

Yes... I'm still depressed over the loss. ;(

Comment

Working...
                                X