Some of this loss boils down to.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of this loss boils down to.....

the fact that the slow non athletic Valley does nothing to get us used to someone with the game speed of VCU. Pretty sure the result would have been similar against Long Beach.

The 2006 Valley wasn't like it is now. IF we are not leaving this conference, we need a serious overall upgrade in athleticism in our conference.

Notice I said some of the loss as the players and the coach bear the bulk of the burden, but the fact can't be ignored.

Would have been nice to have another athletic big.

This was not a good match-up for Garrett.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

True, but keep in mind that we DID stop the press, slowed the tempo down, and all that good stuff. It was just about a minute late.
      "Say it slowly and savor it..."
      Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Too much time off between Valley tournament and NCAA tournament doesnt help

Comment

Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post
          True, but keep in mind that we DID stop the press, slowed the tempo down, and all that good stuff. It was just about a minute late.
          Correct, it took us that long to adjust to the speed of the game.

Comment

I don't agree that this game was a bad matchup for Garrett. He took himself out of the game because he hasn't quite learned how to play post defense. He's better than last year, but until he learns how to get his arms straight up and his body in legal defending position, he's going to rack up the fouls. It's really too bad he couldn't have been redshirted that first year. I think he's one year from putting it all together.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              I don't agree that this game was a bad matchup for Garrett. He took himself out of the game because he hasn't quite learned how to play post defense. He's better than last year, but until he learns how to get his arms straight up and his body in legal defending position, he's going to rack up the fouls. It's really too bad he couldn't have been redshirted that first year. I think he's one year from putting it all together.
              Then the loss is on Marshall for not playing zone in the 1st half to protect him.
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                Then the loss is on Marshall for not playing zone in the 1st half to protect him.
                We have a hard time closing out on the 3 pointers from the wings in our zone, so I don't know if that would have helped.
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Noooooo, we played against a team who has a defense we are not accustomed to seeing. The guys simply didn't have the necessary experience to react positively do what they were seeing. They can attempt to practice it, but game speed is way different than practice.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                    Noooooo, we played against a team who has a defense we are not accustomed to seeing. The guys simply didn't have the necessary experience to react positively do what they were seeing. They can attempt to practice it, but game speed is way different than practice.
                    ...no Valley team is capable of playing that defense other than maybe us.

Comment

we played a poor first half, especially after we made our run to take the lead back...and then we played a good second half, and made a poor decision to leave a wide open shooter in the corner and he drilled it...after the lead we should have gone back to man to man and take our chances with them taking a deuce...but we cant look back just look forward and they are looking forward to a flight back to Wichita. As for the future, we will have a lotta guards to work with, and reload with tons of new players and lets just take it from there I suppose. Great season, sad ending, woulda been fun to pound my chest for a week, but I guess someones gotta lose and we lost to a team that just faught harder then us. #GOSHOX

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                        Coach acknowledged it was on him in the post game for not playing some zone in the 1st.

But explain to me how a zone would have protected Stutz from his 2nd foul...a CHARGE! Sheesh. Wrong try again.

Comment

It came down to Stutz not making shots. When he didn't play well this year, we lost. Sure, he had off nights and we still pulled it out. But he never had a strong game in a shocker loss. His second to last miss, a chance to dunk it because the VCU player didn't want to foul out, and he shorts it basically sums it all up.

Now, I say it came down to that, but you win as a team and you lose as a team. So this loss isn't on any one guy. So remember that before you throw someone under the bus who was a big reason we even saw the dance floor this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                            It came down to Stutz not making shots. When he didn't play well this year, we lost. Sure, he had off nights and we still pulled it out. But he never had a strong game in a shocker loss. His second to last miss, a chance to dunk it because the VCU player didn't want to foul out, and he shorts it basically sums it all up.

Now, I say it came down to that, but you win as a team and you lose as a team. So this loss isn't on any one guy. So remember that before you throw someone under the bus who was a big reason we even saw the dance floor this year.
                            Welcome Back!

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                              Welcome Back!
                              Don't call it a comeback -- I've been here for years

Comment

Working...
                              X