Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA One & Done or Multiple games in NIT, CBI, CIT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting to the NCAA Tournament is always a goal on the chalkboard. I doubt many chalkboards have "NIT or Bust" listed.

The NIT is a consolation prize as @jocoshock noted but it is also a reminder that the team fell short of its ultimate goal. Playing in the NIT is better IMO then sitting around sulking but it will always fall short of the NCAA Tourney regardless of how your team fares.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 16, 2012, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I'll take a one and done. Part of how successful the program is judged is NCAA tournament appearances, not NIT championships.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

There is also that little $1.9 million difference between being a one and done and winning the NIT Championship.

The NIT championship is the best consolation prize you can get for not making the big dance. I would gladly take it any year we can't get into the big dance. It gives you some home games against BCS teams, it gives you some games on national TV and a trip to MSG. But it is only a consolation prize and it generates virtually no revenue.

Comment

No question, I'd take the NCAA adventure every time.

But, we still got a lot of experience and mileage out of winning the NIT. Virtually every sports announcer on every game we played on national TV this year commented we were the NIT champions. Had we not won, they probably would never had mentioned it. And likewise, next year they will comment that we were an NCAA tournament team. No matter how you cut it, this is good publicity and helps recruiting.

I gotta admit that I felt very happy ending last season with a string of wins to include winning our very last game of the season (which we had never done before), and in looking forward to this year which looked to be even more promising, which it was.

And this year, I feel very depressed since we were one and done. Not just personally, but mostly for our players. They deserved to have the joy of winning at least one NCAA tournament game after all their hard work and sacrifices, and bringing such hope and joy to us over the last four years. And I hope this is what they take away from all they have accomplished over these last four years.

The very best of health and happiness to all our players and coaches in whatever they do and wherever they end up. They gave their all and represented WSU in the finest tradition over a long period of time.

Comment

Working...
          X