#14/15 Houston at Wichita State Pregame Discussion 2-20-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #14/15 Houston at Wichita State Pregame Discussion 2-20-22

#14/15 HOUSTON (21-4, 10-2 AAC) at WICHITA STATE (13-10, 4-7 AAC)
    SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2022 | 12:00 PM CT
    WICHITA, KANSAS| CHARLES KOCH ARENA
    TV: ESPN With Mike Corey & Mark Enthusiadams
    RADIO: KEYN 103.7 FM https://www.radio.com/keyn/listen
    SERIES: Wichita State leads 18-16 (13-3 in Wichita)
    LAST MEETING: January 8, 2022 in Houston (UH, 76-66)
    GAME RECAP:

Helped by 22 points by Josh Carlton, No. 12/14 Houston held off Wichita State's second-half charge for a 76-66 victory, at the Fertitta Center.

Carlton made 8-of-12 shots and grabbed 12 rebounds for the Cougars (14-2, 3-0 American), who extended their home winning streak to 34 games.

Tyson Etienne (11 points) and Dexter Dennis (10) paced the Shockers (9-5, 0-2), who saw their four-game true road winning streak snapped.

Houston scored 26 points on 14 Shocker turnovers.

Jamal Shead finished with 10 points, seven assists and came up with four steals, including a game-changer with 4:00 left that snapped a 9-0 WSU run.

The Shockers had clawed to within six and had a chance to make it a one-possession game. Instead Shead jumped a perimeter pass and turned it into a layup on the opposite end.

Carlton converted a three-point play on the next trip down to ice the game for Houston.

Clarence "Monzy" Jackson added nine points and a team-high eight rebounds off the bench for WSU, and Craig Porter Jr. paired eight points with a team-best four assists.

WSU shot 40.4 percent and sank 14-of-17 free throw tries.

Houston finished at 45.3 percent and knocked down 12-of-17 freebies.

The Cougars won the battle of the boards, 40-35, and turned 17 offensive rebounds into 19 points.

Houston's front court contributed to a fast start. The Cougars scored the game's first eight points and led by as many as 10 (20-10) at the midway point of the first half.

WSU scored three-straight baskets to turn the tide and pulled to within three on three-separate occasions before halftime.

Carlton's tip-in ahead of the halftime buzzer gave him a team-high 11 first-half points and sent the host Cougars into the locker room with a 36-31 advantage.

UH shot 50 percent in the opening half and made 10 of its first 17 to start the second half to lead by as many as 15.

Shead threaded a baseline pass to Carlton for a dunk and his seventh assist of the day to make it a 65-50 game with 8:42 to play.

WSU's run started with stops. The Shockers forced eight-consecutive Cougar misses over a 5:00 stretch to make a game of it.

Udeze tipped in a miss to set off a 9-0 WSU run. Dennis drove for a dunk. Council added two free throws and a tip-in to pull the Shockers within 65-59 with still 5:20 to play.

Dennis rimmed out an open three that would have cut the margin to three.

WSU forced another stop, but Shead's timely steal and basket put an end to the Shockers' momentum.
    Last edited by wichshock65; February 19, 2022, 08:35 AM.

Houston by 12

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Guessing Houston will be favored 10 points

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
          Yeah, that's what I meant. Thank you!

Comment

Houston - 85
            Wichita - 68
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              Houston - 85
              Wichita - 68
              I don’t think we can score 68 on them.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

We match up with Houston in size except for Carlton. We will need to help on him, and Mo needs to do a better job of denying him the entry pass. IB should play CP DD and RC virtually the whole game. If TE is playing unselfish and hitting shots give him a lot of time, if not split his time with Monzy and JP moving RC to the 2. Mo and KP split time at the 5. With a better than average shooting night we can win, if we shoot our normal percentages we lose. IB can't pull Porter early in the 1st half like the last game and drop 14 points in 3 and a half minutes while he is on the bench. If he does it's game over.
                I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Houston jumps out to an 18 point lead, but the Shockers manage to cut it down to 10 at the half.

Nip and Tuck (the word is TUCK), the next 8 minutes of the second half. Then Houston pulls away and wins by18.
                  Last edited by 60Shock; February 19, 2022, 11:31 AM.

Comment

UH: 68
                    WSU: 52

Comment

I’m seeing pain.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I don’t think we can score 68 on them.
                        I'm trying to be optimistic
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Need a win = 68
                          Need a win more = 70

Go Shockers!!!

Comment

If line starts at 10, I’ll be waiting on every app in LA that has it. Will get to 18 quickly.

Comment

Here's the deal. Who's better between Houston who lost 2 starters or Arizona who our missed throw sent us to o.t.? It will take the Shocks best game of the Season on both sides of the hardwood to win.

WSU 65

Houston 64
                              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                              X