No announcement yet.

Would a 6 seed really be that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd feel good about our success in either of those brackets.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

In the document that was released last week regarding the selection process, they talked about trying to avoid rematches in the 1st and 2nd rounds, so I don't see us being matched up in the same group as Temple.

Comment

Really, I just want to avoid Kentucky as long as possible. They are the one and only team that I don't see us competing with. They are stinking good.

Comment

The Bracket Matrix (that lists a slew of bracketology) has Wichita State from a 4 to a six with the average of 4.9....

Comment

Originally posted by billybud View Post
            The Bracket Matrix (that lists a slew of bracketology) has Wichita State from a 4 to a six with the average of 4.9....

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm
            I really like that site. Kind of puts in perspective how hard it is to predict what the committee will do and how even the supposed "best" experts like Lunardi are really in the middle of the pack. I pay attention to the guy from college hoops. He interestingly enough has but WSU and CU as 5 seeds (or at least last I checked). I see us getting a 5 and CU getting a 6 seed. I really love this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
              I don't get what you are saying? Only the first four seeds are "protected"
              Wildly false. 1-5 seeds are protected.

Page 4, column 2 states that "the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first five lines at a potential "home-court disadvantage" in the second round."

Comment

That's interesting. I had always thought that the top 4 seeds were protected. I didn't know that it was really the top 5. Good news for WSU I guess.

Thanks for the link.

Comment

I've long thought a #6 is better than a 4/5, the 'protected' issue notwithstanding.

In my mind, what can happen is that an 'upset' by the #6 occurs earlier (round of 32) vs. the #3 and delays the matchup with the #1 for one more round. The potential #3-#6 matchup with the #3 winning is not a monumental upset, but a #4/#5 upset of #1 (Sweet 16) is a more striking upset. Thus, if the #6 can pull-off the 2nd round upset, they don't meet the #1 seed in the region until the Elite 8 matchup. Overall, IMO, the #1 and #2 seeds are typically just slightly a cut above the rest of the field.

Upsets can happen anywhere, anytime.

Just my thoughts.

--'85.
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                    Wildly false. 1-5 seeds are protected.

Page 4, column 2 states that "the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first five lines at a potential "home-court disadvantage" in the second round."
                    My fault, I always thought the first four seeds in each region where protected.

Comment

I honestly think we have a better than 50/50 shot at a 4 seed. I base this on our overall road record, conference play and RPI/rankings. I think the committee overlooks our tournament loss to ill st, for the most part.

But my post is for avoiding the #1 seeds as long as possible, assuming we can handle anyone else. Even if they are seeded higher, up to and including the #2 seeds.
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        IF we make it to the sweet 16, I'd rather get a crack at a #1 seed than to go out playing a team like Georgetown.
                        Really, Dan -- you don't think the Shocks can handle G'town? To my mind, one of the advantages of a 6 seed is the potential for a second-round game against them.

I don't care that much about the seed, but as I've said several times in other threads, a #6 is fine with me -- the longer you postpone playing a #1, the better your chance they won't be there when you arrive. Ask Danny Manning and Larry Brown. Besides, George Mason did just fine not that long ago, as we all recall too well, after taking over the #6 slot. Of course, Butler and VCU have acquitted themselves well by either starting at #5 or taking over the spot, too, so who knows?

As far as I'm concerned, bring on the 6! Bring on the Hoyas! But most important of all, whatever the seed, just TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS! It doesn't matter who your potential 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th round opponents are if you don't first win the games to get there.

Comment

Watcher, I think Dan's point was that if WSU was to lose, he would rather it be to a #1 seed than to "just a good team". I guess its the idea that against a #1 seed, there isn't anything to lose. Against someone like Georgetown (more of an equal), there is more dissapointment if the Shox lose.

Personally, I'd prefer the easiest team possible every game, but that is what I think he is trying to say.

Comment

I still don't get some of you. Are you really that worried about other teams out there? Do you not have confidence in the ability of our team? Outside of Kentucky, I don't see why any team in the nation should scare us. And personally, Kentucky doesn't scare me. They may be the best team in the country but we're more than capable of knocking anyone off. I'll be a little disapointed if we end up with a 6. I expect a 5 but would love a 4. I'd rather have an easier couple of games to start and build up a little more confidence coming off of ISU than start with a tougher team just so we could possibly, maybe avoid a 1 seed. Most of the 1's aren't any different than the 2's right now anyway.

Just bring 'em on.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                              I honestly think we have a better than 50/50 shot at a 4 seed. I base this on our overall road record, conference play and RPI/rankings. I think the committee overlooks our tournament loss to ill st, for the most part.

But my post is for avoiding the #1 seeds as long as possible, assuming we can handle anyone else. Even if they are seeded higher, up to and including the #2 seeds.
                              The problem with this is we have to assume we can handle anyone else. We haven't played for 2 weeks, and I'm all for having the easiest first game possible. If we get through that first game, I believe the Shox can take on all comers regardless of seed. I think the tournament has a lot to do with confidence and momentum. We get that first win under our belt and the guys will start playing to destroy other teams.
                              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                I still don't get some of you. Are you really that worried about other teams out there? Do you not have confidence in the ability of our team? Outside of Kentucky, I don't see why any team in the nation should scare us. And personally, Kentucky doesn't scare me. They may be the best team in the country but we're more than capable of knocking anyone off. I'll be a little disapointed if we end up with a 6. I expect a 5 but would love a 4. I'd rather have an easier couple of games to start and build up a little more confidence coming off of ISU than start with a tougher team just so we could possibly, maybe avoid a 1 seed. Most of the 1's aren't any different than the 2's right now anyway.

Just bring 'em on.
                                I wasn't "WORRIED" about ISU-R...until they beat us on the scoreboard. I wasn't "WORRIED" about Drake...until they beat us. Worried is your term. I choose to be realistic. This team isn't without some bothersome tendencies.

This team isn't beyond playing foolish basketball when the pressure gets high. They can go brain-dead and start chucking it from the cheap seats. Because we are very good, we can get away with it in the Valley, but against other very good teams, it is my guess it won't go as well. We will learn next week and beyond how focused and tough we are.

With that said...if our production and execution resembles the UNLV and at sCUm games during the NCAA tournament, it means our focus and toughness will get the attention of all who face us.

Comment

Working...
                                X