Would a 6 seed really be that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a 6 seed really be that bad?

I'm just thinking that getting as far away away from the #1 as possible wouldn't be all that bad. I think a 6 seed would almost be better than a 5 seed. Sure, we'd have to play a #3 seed in the 2nd round, but is our goal to go as far as we can in the tournament or just make it to the sweet 16? I'm not so sure that playing an 11, 3, 2 seed wouldn't be easier than a 12, 4, 1. Plus, we wouldn't have to fear the dreaded 12/5 upset that happens every year.

Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself out of not getting pissed if we don't get a 5.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

I want the lowest number possible. We can beat anyone so I don't care who we play or when
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Lower the better. I completely agree with Sub on this. Bring 'em on!

Comment

5, 6, it doesn't matter. IMO, programs seeded 3 through 12 are fairly comparable. A 10, 11 or 12 can show up on any given day and beat a high seed team and go on a run. I think what really matters are the match-ups. I wouldn't get bent out of shape if we got a 6, I would be disappointed however if our route through the post-season is full of bad match-ups.

Comment

The latest bracket I've seen has us as a 5 seed playing Nevada. Score to settle.
          Next up would be likely Temple. Unfinished business and a score to settle.
          Then a possible showdown with Syracuse, who like a certain school in this state, is afraid to come out from behind it's mama's skirt and play too far from home.

I'm good with that.

Comment

According to some recent tournament history provided by billybud a 6 seed does not advance as far as a 4 or 5 seed.

Comment

A protected seed (5) versus being an unprotected seed (6)?

I'll go for being a protected seed.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                A protected seed (5) versus being an unprotected seed (6)?

I'll go for being a protected seed.
                I don't get what you are saying? Only the first four seeds are "protected"

Comment

5 seeds have a worse PASE (Performance Against Seed Expectations) than 6 seeds. This is old but illustrates the situation.
                  Peter Tiernan explains how PASE, Performance Against Seed Expectations, is defined.

Its also interesting to look at coaches and PASE for their teams. Some familiar names there...

Comment

All this talk about avoiding the 1 seed is getting ahead of ourselves. I want a 4 or 5 because I'd rather play a 12 or 13 in the first round than an 11. Also, I'd rather play a 4 or 5 in the 2nd round than a 3. Let's not just assume, willy-nilly, that we're a lock for the Sweet 16 and start thinking about playing a 1 or a 2. Small steps people, gotta get out of the first weekend first.

Comment

Warren Nolan's latest bracket has the Shocks in Nashville:

6 Wichita State
                      11 Texas
                      3 Georgetown
                      14 Akron

Lunardi
                      ...has the Shocks in Portland

5 Temple
                      12 BYU
                      4 WSU
                      13 Nevada

Comment

IF we make it to the sweet 16, I'd rather get a crack at a #1 seed than to go out playing a team like Georgetown.

Comment

Looks like lunardi is working for the "man"... The non power six knocking each other out. Now, screw the mvc, that's what I call the NCAA getting what thy want if that pans out.

Comment

interesting that Lunardi was one of the last ones to put us on the 4 line, but even after the loss to Ill St., he has kept us there
                            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I so much prefer Lunardi's bracket over Nolan.

Comment

Working...
                              X