Tulsa at Wichita State Game Thread 2-1-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

There are varying degrees of non-objectivity. Mike takes it to the nth degree. To each their own. Not my cup of tea. And I fully realize I'm out on an island.
    Island keeps getting bigger and bigger. Coach K? Really?

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Still dumbfounded how JP continues to start and how Pohto was on the bench for nearly the entire first half.

Guessing the team watches film, but not the staff.

Comment

• I don't need to come to the rescue and protect Mike, because he is a big boy and can take care of himself. I consider Mike a good friend. We have known each other for about 40 years. We have done many broadcast projects together. He is in 5 sports Hall-of-Fames because of his broadcast journalistic qualities so that should be the end of the conversation, but you know me...I usually don't stop when I should. Hey, I don't agree with 100% that comes out of Mike's mouth, but I didn't believe 100% that has come out of my mouth either when I have called a sporting event. Yes, he has been on the mic for WSU since the late 1970's. Think about that for a minute you backseat broadcasters. Although he believes in being neutral, think about how invested he must be watching the Ralph Miller/Gary Thompson days as a youngster and WSU graduate, MTXE, the dark days with the Cohen, Thompson, Randy Smithson era, the resurgence under Turg, the great run with Marshall (including the Final-4) and then what is currently happening with the program. Mike isn't perfect and would tell you that. I know a few on here have met Mike personally and as I have found he is a great person. I know many so-called icons with less cache than Mike who are jerks. Mike is the opposite of that. If you are a true sports fan and have listened to multiple radio broadcasters you will know that Mike describes the action as accurately and vividly as anyone that has ever called sports. Creating an accurate and visual picture on radio for the listeners during the active chaos of live sports is hard. Trust me I have done it. Criticize all you want. We all have the right to do that. But be careful and protect that glass house. I know all to well about glass houses because I have been guilty just like you backseat broadcasters. I am pretty good about self-awareness...how about you. Now back to our regularly schedule programming...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          IB needs to watch game film and see who was playing when the tide turned
          Isaac may have issues, but I'm going to guess he watches film.....

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Isaac may have issues, but I'm going to guess he watches film.....
            But does Dumb & Dumber count? I couldn't resist, sorry. I agree with you he watches and it is all about the interpretation of the film being watched.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

You do not know the definition of slander.
              lmao, what’s the definition then?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

No, it's his job as the voice of the shockers. Just like every other college team has. They are there to promote the shockers not make them sound almost unwatchable, like they are at times.

For those who don't like him or don't want to listen to the homer side, I suggest you either turn the radio off or listen to our opponents broadcasting.
                I think you quoted the wrong post.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                  I don't need to come to the rescue and protect Mike, because he is a big boy and can take care of himself. I consider Mike a good friend. We have known each other for about 40 years. We have done many broadcast projects together. He is in 5 sports Hall-of-Fames because of his broadcast journalistic qualities so that should be the end of the conversation, but you know me...I usually don't stop when I should. Hey, I don't agree with 100% that comes out of Mike's mouth, but I didn't believe 100% that has come out of my mouth either when I have called a sporting event. Yes, he has been on the mic for WSU since the late 1970's. Think about that for a minute you backseat broadcasters. Although he believes in being neutral, think about how invested he must be watching the Ralph Miller/Gary Thompson days as a youngster and WSU graduate, MTXE, the dark days with the Cohen, Thompson, Randy Smithson era, the resurgence under Turg, the great run with Marshall (including the Final-4) and then what is currently happening with the program. Mike isn't perfect and would tell you that. I know a few on here have met Mike personally and as I have found he is a great person. I know many so-called icons with less cache than Mike who are jerks. Mike is the opposite of that. If you are a true sports fan and have listened to multiple radio broadcasters you will know that Mike describes the action as accurately and vividly as anyone that has ever called sports. Creating an accurate and visual picture on radio for the listeners during the active chaos of live sports is hard. Trust me I have done it. Criticize all you want. We all have the right to do that. But be careful and protect that glass house. I know all to well about glass houses because I have been guilty just like you backseat broadcasters. I am pretty good about self-awareness...how about you. Now back to our regularly schedule programming...
                  Mike is a great human from what I can tell. I did get to spend a little time with he and Dave and their wives in STL one night and it will forever be a highlight of my life. His PBP is fantastic. But I do understand some of the criticisms, and they have been around for years. I think it frustrates people when you see what appears to be him completely rejecting reality because of his job. I do think there's a way for him, or someone like him, to have that job and do it well but not try to be so company line all of the time even when it flies in the face of reason. As to his PBP homerism, that's to be expected. I've listened to him complain about calls and then watch it on TV and wonder what the hell he was seeing. Perhaps some of that is because of where he sits and if you've ever officiated the game, you know that angles make all of the difference. The man is insanely intelligent and has a fantastic memory and that one evening I was around, he treated me like an old friend. And at the time I was a 20 something nobody he'd never seen before.

Non of that greatness protects him from some valid criticisms that some have. I just roll my eyes and tell myself it's Mike being Mike, but I get why others don't.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I like Mike.
                    I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

lmao, what’s the definition then?

Essential Meaning of slander

: to make a false spoken statement that causes people to have a bad opinion of someone

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Mike is a great human from what I can tell. I did get to spend a little time with he and Dave and their wives in STL one night and it will forever be a highlight of my life. His PBP is fantastic. But I do understand some of the criticisms, and they have been around for years. I think it frustrates people when you see what appears to be him completely rejecting reality because of his job. I do think there's a way for him, or someone like him, to have that job and do it well but not try to be so company line all of the time even when it flies in the face of reason. As to his PBP homerism, that's to be expected. I've listened to him complain about calls and then watch it on TV and wonder what the hell he was seeing. Perhaps some of that is because of where he sits and if you've ever officiated the game, you know that angles make all of the difference. The man is insanely intelligent and has a fantastic memory and that one evening I was around, he treated me like an old friend. And at the time I was a 20 something nobody he'd never seen before.

Non of that greatness protects him from some valid criticisms that some have. I just roll my eyes and tell myself it's Mike being Mike, but I get why others don't.
                        I agree with this.

There are some valid criticisms. Hardly unlistenable. Mostly a great voice for our team and town.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Essential Meaning of slander

: to make a false spoken statement that causes people to have a bad opinion of someone
                          Fever didn't slander anyone. He just stated his own opinion. Nothing wrong with that.
                          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post

Exactly. This has been a problem most of the year. Recruiting this year is crucial. I know most won’t agree but I still think IB needs a chance to have a full year to recruit before we send him on. I still think that he can win here.
                            I'm actually more concerned with his recruiting than his coaching (which i'm still concerned about). We had the momentum after winning the conference and have no recruits signed for next year. That is a HUGE problem. We are already not at a full team.

I'm wondering if Boatright told him he couldn't' fill that scholly to save money. If so, add that to the list of reasons Boatright should be gone yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

why do I get the sense that IB is not recruiting and just planning on rolling out the same team next year?
                              I don’t believe this. IB has been a assistant for good programs. He certainly is not a finished coach at this point and will make adjustments but our roster has limitations.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The teams were pretty much equally bad until the Shocks had a good 7 minutes beginning with about 11 minutes left in the game when they outscored Tulsa 19-4 led by Ricky and Kenny and capped by a rare 3-point make by Dex. During that stretch Ricky and Kenny were a combined 5-6 from the field and 4-6 from the line to account for 14 of those 19 points. Two of the baskets, one by Ricky and one by Kenny, were put backs off of offensive rebounds. The 20 seconds before this Shocker run started Tyson missed 2 threes and committed a foul.

Excluding that stretch by Ricky and Kenny, the Shocks were 26.4% from the field and 61.5% from the line.

In the final four minutes of the game the Shocks only managed 2 points.
                                Thought it was pretty obvious, and then even commented on by the TV crew, that that the Shockers were running the time off the clock on purpose, being well ahead.

Comment

Working...
                                X