No announcement yet.

Tulsa at Wichita State Game Thread 2-1-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to be back on the at-large bubble.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

He brings zero objectivity. Way too homerish to take seriously. Big part of his job appears to be PR related. Sort of Baghdad Bob-ish.
      If you think his job is to be objective then you don’t understand his job.

And if you think he’s bad, then you should spend some
      time listening to others. We’re blessed to have MK.

Comment

• MK is a homer, but dammit he's our homer!! I will fight anyone who wants to dig on MK. C'mon man.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The teams were pretty much equally bad until the Shocks had a good 7 minutes beginning with about 11 minutes left in the game when they outscored Tulsa 19-4 led by Ricky and Kenny and capped by a rare 3-point make by Dex. During that stretch Ricky and Kenny were a combined 5-6 from the field and 4-6 from the line to account for 14 of those 19 points.Two of the baskets, one by Ricky and one by Kenny, were put backs off of offensive rebounds. The 20 seconds before this Shocker run started Tyson missed 2 threes and committed a foul.

Excluding that stretch by Ricky and Kenny, the Shocks were 26.4% from the field and 61.5% from the line.

In the final four minutes of the game the Shocks only managed 2 points.
          Here is a stat for you...60% of all Pohto rebounds on the season are offensive. At this point in the season and the fact Pohto plays almost 14 minutes a game, I have never seen a player with that ratio before. Oh, and half his rebounds last night were on the offensive glass.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I probably made a wise decision not attending the game... these old bones ain't what they used to be.

Not sure how it looked in person, but the crowd appeared to be decent considering the weather (and teams recent struggles) and sounded pretty loud. I know it was an ugly game, but I actually have a glimmer of hope moving forward. Player of the game Kenny Pohto said we're going to win the rest of our games. Go Kenny Go!

Well, Kenny is a freshman. Freshmen will make freshmen mistakes. But I do like his enthusiasm.

Comment

• Pohto does a nice job of being self critical. Impressive kid who understands his weaknesses.

‘He’s going to be a great one’: Wichita State’s Kenny Pohto blossoms in Tulsa win

Kenny Pohto had a confession to make. “I’m kind of soft,” Pohto admitted, before catching himself. “I’ve been kind of soft, but I’m trying to work on that. The coaches tell me every day to be more aggressive, so I’m trying to be more aggressive in games.” Such is life for a 19-year-old true freshman trying to play the most physical position right away in the American Athletic Conference, but the work-in-progress scored eight critical points in his best performance to date since conference play began in the Wichita State men’s basketball team’s 58-48 win over Tulsa at Koch Arena late Tuesday. Pohto, a 6-foot-11 center, needed just 13 minutes to help flip the game for the Shockers, as he made some of the game’s biggest plays, including two offensive rebound put-backs and a pivotal charge, and was on the floor for all of WSU’s scoring during a dominant 21-4 stretch in the second half when WSU put the game away.

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                Good to be back on the at-large bubble.
                Either us or Northern Iowa with the last spot.
                I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Tulsa almost got over the hump, but somehow, with a lack of skilled ball handlers, the Shocks toughed it out and pulled away. It was a good win.

Has Tulsa even been competitive with any of the better teams in the AAC?

Comment

• Pohto said we will win both upcoming games against SMU. I like his confidence but not sure about saying that on the radio.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                      Has Tulsa even been competitive with any of the better teams in the AAC?
                      This year alone Tulsa has lost to Memphis twice 64-67 and 81-83. They lost to SMU 69-74. They lost to Houston 64-66.

Tulsa was the AAC regular season champions at 13-5 in 2019-20. The AAC post-season tournament was cancelled that year.

So I think the answer to your question is yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I'll put a little negative on your post to help you out.
                        2 things:

1 - they are from Texas where the college basketball experience sucks.

And/or
                        2- you said it, salespeople, they say anything to get a sale.
                        No, no, no, he said "tech sales", not "texas".
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

If you think his job is to be objective then you don’t understand his job.

And if you think he’s bad, then you should spend some
                          time listening to others. We’re blessed to have MK.
                          There are varying degrees of non-objectivity. Mike takes it to the nth degree. To each their own. Not my cup of tea. And I fully realize I'm out on an island.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

MK slander? Why?
                            There is a difference between being enthusiastic about the program (he should be). But he used to be objective. He has gone full "homer". He is now the "Bagdhad Bob" of shocker basketball and baseball. Besides the lack of objectivity he has:

He laughed at the rumors that WSU was going to AAC when asked on the radio show. He mocked the callers and said it never happening.
                            He rolled over for Marshall and castrated the call in-show
                            Every pop-fly is "just missed it"
                            Every 3pter is "in-and-out"

and finally he ...

loved Todd Butler

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
                              Pohto said we will win both upcoming games against SMU. I like his confidence but not sure about saying that on the radio.
                              I am wondering if the Shockers will even be able to make it to Dallas for the rescheduled game on Thursday. Heard Dallas was expecting ice later today or tonight.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 2, 2022, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• I usually listen to MK call the away games. He is a homer but at least he knows the ins and outs of our team. Bob Hull commented on the Tulane pregame about wearing masks at the home games. He said everyone should just wear them. Last night he was walking around all over the place with no mask on. I can't figure people like that out.

Comment

Working...
                                X