UCF at Wichita State Pregame Discussion 1-26-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

He sure as **** won't be in the NBA next season. And if he doesn't cower and handles adversary straight on that would mean we're stuck with him next year.

I always expected more out of Tyson, but this year has shown him to be quite selfish and not very self-aware. I'm guessing he has the wrong people in his ear that he's bought into and they've ruined his future if he keeps listening to them.
    Such as HCIB?
    I like Tyson, and some of you much smarter than me with the game of basketball can provide differences between last year and this year in game strategy, expectations, plays, position. I don’t think the majority of his less than expected season can be blamed on him.

I’m setting myself up here with my self deprecation, but there must be other reasons and I don’t know enough about the finer nuances of the game to pinpoint the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Ricky needs to learn his role involves defense as well
      A lot of them need to learn a lot of things, that's why we suck right now.

Comment

Sir Knightro - 65
        Sir Cuss-A-Lot = 72

Go %$#@ Shockers!!!

Comment

Quotables: Brown Previews UCF

A week of postponements offered Wichita State an opportunity to recharge and refocus.  Head coach Isaac Brown met with local media this afternoon to preview Wednesday night's matchup with UCF.

… Opening statement:
          "UCF is a good basketball team and a big challenge for us. We're just so excited to be back, number one, and to be having two games this week…. UCF has two big-time non-conference wins, one at Miami and they beat Michigan. They've got a really good team with size and athleticism. They can really shoot it from the three-point line. They changed their style of play. They play more like Memphis now, where they just press the entire basketball game, and they try to make it an up-and-down affair.

… Last week's workouts after the postponements:
          "We practiced last week. Our practices never stopped. We just had guys that were out, and they did it out of caution. We had one guy out today from practice, but other than that, we'll have 12 guys (today)."

… How he spent his down time last week:
          "I think about our offensive struggles, so I went back and watched a lot of games that we played last year, games that we played early on in the season when played out in Las Vegas, the games that we won against Missouri and Oklahoma St. I went back and I watched a lot of those and a lot of the actions that we ran against those teams. I tried to put it in the last two games when we came up short. Just going back and looking at a lot of different things. We lost the game at home to Kansas St. We wanted to do a little bit more continuity where the ball was moving side to side, but I think it's best for us when certain guys get the ball in their hands and everybody else just plays the roles. We'll see. We've just got to start winning."

… Availability for tomorrow's game:
          "I anticipate at least 12 guys being back. There's a chance one guy may be out tomorrow. I'll find that answer today, but overall it's been good.

I think it's best for us when certain guys get the ball in their hands and everybody else just plays the roles. We'll see. We've just got to start winning
          Not sure I like the sound of that. I guess we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
            Wichita opens as 4.5 point favorites...I'm confused why that continues to happen. I will be fading them again until given a reason not to.
            In a bubble looking at Wichita it makes sense to say we should be underdogs. Looking outside the bubble ... UCF's last 3 games. 2 point win vs Tulane at home. Not much different than us losing by 1 at home to Tulane. Needed OT to beat ECU. Then the big one .. they lost by 24 to USF ...... So they aren't exactly trending in the right direction either.

That said, I still wouldn't bet on WSU to cover or even win for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

In a bubble looking at Wichita it makes sense to say we should be underdogs. Looking outside the bubble ... UCF's last 3 games. 2 point win vs Tulane at home. Not much different than us losing by 1 at home to Tulane. Needed OT to beat ECU. Then the big one .. they lost by 24 to USF ...... So they aren't exactly trending in the right direction either.

That said, I still wouldn't bet on WSU to cover or even win for that matter.
              Who was and was not available to them for those games vs other games. Are they full strength?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Who was and was not available to them for those games vs other games. Are they full strength?
                Didn't keep track lol. Too many changes to pay that much attention. Just pointing out from a high level that after starting out the season strong .. UCF has struggled .. which is one reason why the line might be set where it is at.

Comment

According to the UCF stats their top 8 guys in average minutes played and in scoring have played in all 17 games. I don't know if they will be at full strength tonight. I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise.

I listened to a 5-minute interview that Coach Dawkins did yesterday which included a preview of the WSU game and there was no mention of being shorthanded.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 26, 2022, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Does anyone need tickets tonight? I have some, free to good Shocker fans.
                    Bump. Seemed to be buried.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

He sure as **** won't be in the NBA next season. And if he doesn't cower and handles adversary straight on that would mean we're stuck with him next year.

I always expected more out of Tyson, but this year has shown him to be quite selfish and not very self-aware. I'm guessing he has the wrong people in his ear that he's bought into and they've ruined his future if he keeps listening to them.
                      Tyson is way worth keeping around. He just needs to learn that being a team leader doesn't mean jacking up I'll advised shots. Dribbling for 5 seconds waiting for someone to set a pick, etc.
                      But ha has a lot of skills and can be a leader when he learns to always use the double team that is on him as a tool to distribute. And of course learn the difference between a good shot and a bad shot, good smart drive and a stupid one.
                      I hope he does come back next year, but I'm guessing portal.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Tyson is way worth keeping around. He just needs to learn that being a team leader doesn't mean jacking up I'll advised shots. Dribbling for 5 seconds waiting for someone to set a pick, etc.
                        But ha has a lot of skills and can be a leader when he learns to always use the double team that is on him as a tool to distribute. And of course learn the difference between a good shot and a bad shot, good smart drive and a stupid one.
                        I hope he does come back next year, but I'm guessing portal.
                        Tyson is a player that has to be controlled by an experienced coach, on that can scheme ways to get him open. He just isn’t good enough to take on a triple team at this level and the team around him refuses to help get him looks.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I hope the guys are pissed at us fans and they use it as motivation to actually shove it in our faces. That would mean there is passion. Until I see it, it is all lip service.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Tyson is a player that has to be controlled by an experienced coach, on that can scheme ways to get him open. He just isn’t good enough to take on a triple team at this level and the team around him refuses to help get him looks.
                            I don't think the team refuses to get him looks, I think the system coupled with the dawgs be dawgs idea (in other words coaching) doesn't allow him to get the ball in good position. I still believe in all but 1 player.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              I think it's best for us when certain guys get the ball in their hands and everybody else just plays the roles. We'll see. We've just got to start winning."
                              The only way this sentence is good if he means Porter has the ball in his hands and everyone else plays their roles. If he means Tyson has the ball in his hands and everyone just stands around waiting for him to jack up and contested fall away 25 footer then we get our asses kicked.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
                                Wichita opens as 4.5 point favorites...I'm confused why that continues to happen. I will be fading them again until given a reason not to.
                                Why do the Shocks still have a net ranking of 83? UCF's net ranking is currently 75. I guess it's the win over Oklahoma State. Maybe the close call with Arizona?

Comment

Working...
                                X