Chris Jans to Wichita State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ventichai View Post
    With the success Jans is having at NMSU, and him recently signing a contract extension not too long ago, is there any chance he would be interested in coming here?
    7865% yes

78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

7865% yes
      So, you aren't sure?

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

It has been said, that Chris would give anything to be the head coach at Wichita State.

This was said before Gregg Marshall was fired though.

Chris would be holding practices with similar intensity to 3G. Perhaps we could pencil a no-slapping/choking stipulation into his contract. But make no mistake, it would be Bobby Knight-ville in Koch Arena once again. And that thought in no way seems depressing.

I want it to be Bobby Knight-ville in Koch Arena again. Maybe I’ll ask for that as 2022s Christmas present!
        Shocker Alumni
        Shocker Club Soccer alumni
        Jayhawk fan but the Shockers come first

Comment

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
          Posted before, but I’ll post it here:

If you fire Brown and hire Jans and average his salary at $1.5mm over 6 years, you’d breakeven in year 6/7.
          Why pay Jans 1.5? Wouldn’t it be smart to make it 750k with bonuses to make it 1m or higher depending on how far he gets in post season play. Something our current AD should have done with IB. IB didn’t deserve 1.5m with no head coaching experience. He should have gotten 500 to 750k with bonus options. Our AD is idiotic

Shocker Alumni

Comment

Originally posted by WichitaHawk View Post

Why pay Jans 1.5? Wouldn’t it be smart to make it 750k with bonuses to make it 1m or higher depending on how far he gets in post season play. Something our current AD should have done with IB. IB didn’t deserve 1.5m with no head coaching experience. He should have gotten 500 to 750k with bonus options. Our AD is idiotic
            If you're WSU's AD and you want an experienced and successful head coach with strong ties to WSU as your new head coach, do you:

1) Offer him at least an equal base and additional by using incentives than you did with an assistant coach with no other head coaching experience?

2) Offer him what you did with that assistant coach, but tie part of it to incentives to get to the same level?

3) Or take a chance insulting him by offering a total package with incentives that would less than what you offered the assistant coach?

Comment

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
              Posted before, but I’ll post it here:

If you fire Brown and hire Jans and average his salary at $1.5mm over 6 years, you’d breakeven in year 6/7.
              Your heart is in the right place, but this isn't how finance works. You're comparing a scenario that doesn't exist with another. There is no way back machine where we didn't part ways with Marshall. The only finance question is whether the net present value of the the $5 mil to terminate the contract is exceeded by the revenue and and reputational damage being done. Could also throw in a wrinkle where a new coach's salary was more or less than IB.

Of course no one knows, Jans could come in here and flop, unlikely, but not a zero chance. Predictions are hard... especially about the future.
              Last edited by BOBB; January 17, 2022, 08:33 PM.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

If you're WSU's AD and you want an experienced and successful head coach with strong ties to WSU as your new head coach, do you:

1) Offer him at least an equal base and additional by using incentives than you did with an assistant coach with no other head coaching experience?

2) Offer him what you did with that assistant coach, but tie part of it to incentives to get to the same level?

3) Or take a chance insulting him by offering a total package with incentives that would less than what you offered the assistant coach?
                How much did IB make as an assistant coach? I have no idea as I didn’t follow assistant coaches salaries. But to me an assistant coach with no head coaching experience at div 1 level getting a 1.5 mill a year deal when Chris Jans is making pennies compared to IB doesn’t make sense. Yes I know WSU is a better job than new mexico state but still. Our AD shot the university in its foot with a 5 year deal at his price. Should have been a 3 year deal. Prove yourself first! Show us your worth it then get that big ass contract extension after 3 years. Hell if IB would have gotten a 3 year deal and took us to the NCAAs all 3 years and went to the sweet 16 or elite 8 in one or the 3 years. He would be given a Marshall type extension. But I guess in this day in age you get a huge contract without being proven.
                Shocker Alumni

Comment

Originally posted by WichitaHawk View Post

How much did IB make as an assistant coach? I have no idea as I didn’t follow assistant coaches salaries. But to me an assistant coach with no head coaching experience at div 1 level getting a 1.5 mill a year deal when Chris Jans is making pennies compared to IB doesn’t make sense. Yes I know WSU is a better job than new mexico state but still. Our AD shot the university in its foot with a 5 year deal at his price. Should have been a 3 year deal. Prove yourself first! Show us your worth it then get that big ass contract extension after 3 years. Hell if IB would have gotten a 3 year deal and took us to the NCAAs all 3 years and went to the sweet 16 or elite 8 in one or the 3 years. He would be given a Marshall type extension. But I guess in this day in age you get a huge contract without being proven.
                  So now you see the conundrum a WSU AD would have. And you are right about your contract ideas.

However, as to your last comment: No, no you don't. That's the rub.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

So now you see the conundrum a WSU AD would have. And you are right about your contract ideas.

However, as to your last comment: No, no you don't. That's the rub.
                    That’s why I’m glad I’m not an AD. Bet the job is overly stressful. Can’t make everyone happy!
                    Shocker Alumni

Comment

Working...
                    X