Cincinnati at Wichita State Game Thread 1-16-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
    Here's a quote from Etienne after the game. It doesn't seem to occur to him that if the opponents are making it difficult for him, they're making it easier for somebody else.

“Anybody in my situation knows I’m not going to get clean looks,” Etienne said. “I’m going to have to take contested shots because those are the options I’m getting. That’s the whole objective of the scouting report is to make sure I don’t get anything easy. I made some tough shots and I missed some down the stretch, but I felt like for the most part I did well on my tough shots. I don’t really expect to get anything easy. That’s just the nature of being who I am.”

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy
    This is wild. Who does TE think his is?

If teams are taking him away, he needs to do a better jobs of creating easy points for his teammates. That would start creating more open looks for himself, if more players are scoring threats.

TE needs a HUGE reality check. I don’t remember TE talking like this under former-coach-whose-name-triggers-people-when-spoken-allowed.
    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

If teams are taking him away, he needs to do a better jobs of creating easy points for his teammates. That would start creating more open looks for himself, if more players are scoring threats.

TE needs a HUGE reality check. I don’t remember TE talking like this under former-coach-whose-name-triggers-people-when-spoken-allowed.
      I’ll say it.

Gregg Marshall wouldn’t stand for this.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I remember someone on here once mentioning the need for a head doctor. Is that something teams focus on?

Many years ago I was a mediocre player on a dominant city league basketball team. There were several players who should have been D1 but they were all “knuckleheads” according to the coach.

One summer I went with a buddy to the Emporia State “Yes I Can” camp hosted by coach Slaymaker.

I came out of that camp a totally different player. I couldn’t miss. The game slowed down and opened up for me. For about a month I was completely unguardable. The other much better players were stunned and couldn’t figure it out.

Eventually I regressed to my more natural skill level and ended up in corporate America.

But the skills they taught at that camp were crazy and it was nearly all mental. I’ll never forget it. If college coaches aren’t focusing heavily on the mental, they are missing the mark.

I also wonder how much our crazy weights program impacts our shooting ability.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

I'm sure they did. How many times did TE take contested shots? That's the topic of discussion here. I did not say he never passes the ball. Tyson has a tendency to fall in love with the idea of saving the team, especially in the final 10 minutes of the game. His passes become fewer and his contested shots become greater.
          Dan - a player can be double teamed and still have no open players. It is all about spacing.

Comment

That would be Gregg Marshall. What is this the Shocker Faithful fb group?

twitter also has a problem with him but I’ll say it again, Gregg Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

Dan - a player can be double teamed and still have no open players. It is all about spacing.
              the fact that Tyson is being asked to be the guy to identify this is part of the problem. Tyson needs to be the guy coming off the screen and receiving the pass for the open shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post

That would be Gregg Marshall. What is this the Shocker Faithful fb group?

twitter also has a problem with him but I’ll say it again, Gregg Marshall.
                I just like pissing those people off ;)
                The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Regul8te View Post
                  I remember someone on here once mentioning the need for a head doctor. Is that something teams focus on?

Many years ago I was a mediocre player on a dominant city league basketball team. There were several players who should have been D1 but they were all “knuckleheads” according to the coach.

One summer I went with a buddy to the Emporia State “Yes I Can” camp hosted by coach Slaymaker.

I came out of that camp a totally different player. I couldn’t miss. The game slowed down and opened up for me. For about a month I was completely unguardable. The other much better players were stunned and couldn’t figure it out.

Eventually I regressed to my more natural skill level and ended up in corporate America.

But the skills they taught at that camp were crazy and it was nearly all mental. I’ll never forget it. If college coaches aren’t focusing heavily on the mental, they are missing the mark.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Here's a quote from Etienne after the game. It doesn't seem to occur to him that if the opponents are making it difficult for him, they're making it easier for somebody else.

“Anybody in my situation knows I’m not going to get clean looks,” Etienne said. “I’m going to have to take contested shots because those are the options I’m getting. That’s the whole objective of the scouting report is to make sure I don’t get anything easy. I made some tough shots and I missed some down the stretch, but I felt like for the most part I did well on my tough shots. I don’t really expect to get anything easy. That’s just the nature of being who I am.”

This is exactly the reason Etienne has become an offensive liability this year. Etienne shot 53.5% true shooting last year on high usage. This year he's shot 47.7% true shooting on even higher usage.

These are not all late in shot clock heaves, where just getting a shot off is the goal to avoid a turnover. These are shots where Tyson is shooting with 10+ seconds on the clock.

This is not how great players play. Sure, Kevin Durant takes a lot of guarded 3s. But he is shooting those 3s with a consistent motion. Watch highlights from his 51 point game from 12/13/21. Every single jumpshot his shoulders, knees, and feet are pointed to the basket with no rotation. He jumps towards the basket with a consistent height, and his height and release point lets him shoot over defenders. Shorter players at the next level have to have the same fundamentals and get a bit more open.

Durant gets as much defensive attention as a player can get, and yet he still works to make his shots are as good as possible. Tyson seems to be doing the opposite. Even when he relatively open and has plenty of time, he is still pirouetting and jumping backward to make the shot as unlikely as possible to go in.

Being a team's best scorer isn't all about rolling the dice and hoping that a tonight is the night you roll high. A good shooter needs amnesia, but they should never settle. It is almost like Etienne is using hard shots as a crutch, a justification for bad form.

With good mechanics, Etienne could shoot nearly 40% at virtually the same usage rate as now and be the best player on our team. The fact that instead he is a detriment is testimony that the wrong ideas are being taught, fundamental mistakes aren't being corrected, and we aren't putting effort into making the game easy.

Great players should always expect to get things easy. LeBron doesn't shoot off-balance floaters, he expects to dunk. Steph Curry sets his feet. Harden analyzes defender's tendencies and attacks their weak hand. Everyone in the NBA shoots from the shorter corner. What makes them great is that they make it easy.

Comment

So what he's really saying is "I'm the only real threat offensively and everyone knows it. I don't trust my teammates or the coaches. No one fears anyone else on our roster. My coaches aren't capable of scheming a way to loosen the defense up. Basically, I'm a future NBA player and if I have to take terrible shots for us to win, that's what I have to do."

Or it could be the weed talking??

Comment

I remember someone on here once mentioning the need for a head doctor. Is that something teams focus on?

Agree completely with the mental aspect of basketball

Many of our team have been poor shooting teams and players seldom improve their shooting while here. I have thought for years that the rigorous in season weightlifting could have something to do with it.

Comment

TE is only about the "ME" and not the "TEAM". Between a mindset like this and the other issue - it becomes clear why this season is death-spiraling. Just need a player to go into the stands and eat a hot dog.

Danny Ainge - where art thou??

Comment

If college coaches aren’t focusing heavily on the mental, they are missing the mark.
                            I think that is why Kemnitz was so good as a pitching coach - he was big on working with the kids on the mental side.

Comment

Hey ETN...Do you think Kendrick Davis from SMU is keyed on by opposing defenses? He is among the NCAA scoring leaders and gets his 22 PPG on 47% shooting and 40% 3-point shooting. I could use many more examples to prove the point that great players are great due to them taking what the game gives them. Go cry your selfish poison as you enter the portal son.

Comment

• Since we are discussing some of the same things on 2 threads, I'll also put the following here as well:

The team averages 24.4 3pt shots a game.

As for ETN, he has had 3 games where he was hot: 17/40 / 42.5%. Also 1 where he wasn't. 1-11. His next 4 volume games were 8 to 9 shots and shot well in all of them: 14/34 / 41.2%. In what one could call his stinker games from 3, he's never shot more than 6 shots and was 2-17 for 3 games. Outside of the 4 highest shot volume games, he's averaged 6.45 shots per game.

Two players (based on small sample of 15-16 games), have not done well with their version of high volume of shots.
                                Dexter: When he shoots 5 or more 3s: 8-36 22.2%. Under 5, he's 33.3%
                                Monzy: When he shoots 4 or more 3s: 2-9 22.2%. Under 3, he's 42.8%

RC4 has shots the 3rd most 3 pointers so far this season and is shooting 32%. However, outside of 2 games, he only shot 22.5% on the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X