Wichita State at Houston Pregame Discussion 1-8-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post

There is plenty of talent. Problem is (which Memphis knows all too well), talent only takes you so far when the coach is terrible.
    No, just no. Porter isn't a PG who can break down a defense. He's a good basketball player, but he's not effective at running point. Pleasant isn't an MVC-level player. Grant has "potential". Udeze is an incredibly weak passer. Etienne probably has some talent, but he's doing his best to hide it by consistently playing hero ball. Last year he was making some of the impossible shots he's missing this year. Defenses don't guard Dennis on the 3-point line. Council is still trying to play like he's the best guy on the court in a HS game.

Ragland, Hannah, Armstead, and VanVleet could all run the high post pick-n-roll and get to the hoop, pass to an undefended post by the basket,or kick to a 3 shooter on the perimeter. Porter runs the high post ball screen and ends up 3' away from the screener and dribbling out to the 3-point line to throw a pass to a wing who has come out to 35' away from the basket to take the outlet pass.

Then there's the "no motion" offense where 1 guy dribbles back and forth while 4 guys watch him, trying to figure out what he's running.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

No, just no. Porter isn't a PG who can break down a defense. He's a good basketball player, but he's not effective at running point. Pleasant isn't an MVC-level player. Grant has "potential". Udeze is an incredibly weak passer. Etienne probably has some talent, but he's doing his best to hide it by consistently playing hero ball. Last year he was making some of the impossible shots he's missing this year. Defenses don't guard Dennis on the 3-point line. Council is still trying to play like he's the best guy on the court in a HS game.

Ragland, Hannah, Armstead, and VanVleet could all run the high post pick-n-roll and get to the hoop, pass to an undefended post by the basket,or kick to a 3 shooter on the perimeter. Porter runs the high post ball screen and ends up 3' away from the screener and dribbling out to the 3-point line to throw a pass to a wing who has come out to 35' away from the basket to take the outlet pass.

Then there's the "no motion" offense where 1 guy dribbles back and forth while 4 guys watch him, trying to figure out what he's running.
      Coach Gregg Marshall was a master taking pretty decent talent and turning them into some really good college basketball players. Heck some of them even went on to play in the NBA.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Good news for you guys, I won't be watching live as my nephew has a game at 11 and his sister at 12. So you'll get a game thread without me responding negatively to poor play.

So maybe a little less negativity.

Trying to find positives
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Lose.

Never in doubt.
          The Assman

Comment

• We must hit open shots and be tougher than them.

Comment

• Sucks for you guys. Sounds like my sister tested positive so the kids won't be playing. You're stuck with me
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I GAVE IT TO YOUR SISTER, LAST NIGHT, TREBEK !

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  I GAVE IT TO YOUR SISTER, LAST NIGHT, TREBEK !
                  My condolences
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    Sucks for you guys. Sounds like my sister tested positive so the kids won't be playing. You're stuck with me
                    Ooof. How’s she feeling?

Comment

Sucks for you guys. Sounds like my sister tested positive so the kids won't be playing. You're stuck with me
                      Damn!

Comment

I thought you were going to deliver good news!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

Ooof. How’s she feeling?
                          She never mentioned anything. Last night she was just talking about the games. Until I hear otherwise I'm assuming she doesn't have any issues. This girl is a hypochondriac and I'm sure I'll hear about any changes.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

I thought you were going to deliver good news!
                            Good news was last night when I thought you'd get a game thread without me. I did start this mornings with sucks for you guys.

I try to keep it honest
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Craig Porter passing up wide open 3s is going to piss me off. He can’t shoot worse than the rest of our team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                                Craig Porter passing up wide open 2s is going to piss me off. He can’t shoot worse than the rest of our team.
                                FIFY

Comment

Working...
                                X