Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What price would you be willing to pay for success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s all moot without a good coach unless we want to look like Memphis.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
      Well, after this weekend looking like Memphis sounds ok.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I'd sure rather be the Memphis program then then Wichita one at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Well, after this weekend looking like Memphis sounds ok.

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post

I'd sure rather be the Memphis program then then Wichita one at this point.
          Yes. Sad, isn’t it?
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I'm not enthused with this new direction. Now that college basketball players are getting free educations and basically getting paid for playing it is losing it's appeal to me. I haven't watched an NBA game in a few years. If college basketball continues down this road I assume I will lose interest eventually. I have good seats and don't want to give them up, but I feel that day may be coming.
            I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

The game was already starting to look like the NBA game. Now the teams are going to look like the NBA without the salary cap.

The ability to hire a quality coach is likely to come down to the size of the NIL pool the school can demonstrate.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                The game was already starting to look like the NBA game. Now the teams are going to look like the NBA without the salary cap
                More like bad G League teams. And guess what, nobody goes to watch G League games.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
                  I'm not enthused with this new direction. Now that college basketball players are getting free educations and basically getting paid for playing it is losing it's appeal to me. I haven't watched an NBA game in a few years. If college basketball continues down this road I assume I will lose interest eventually. I have good seats and don't want to give them up, but I feel that day may be coming.
                  This is close to where I'm at, as well. If college basketball continues to become an arms race (beyond facilities and coaching salaries, which has been going on for awhile) with NIL funds getting out of hand, then WSU will become a 2nd-tier (at best) program at the D1 level, as there becomes less and less parity. That will lead to D1 getting split into multiple divisions and athletically we'll be no more relevant than what Fort Hays State is now. At that point, I'll have less interest in watching, let alone paying good money to go to games. It's just hard to get excited about succeeding at a level below the top.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

This is close to where I'm at, as well. If college basketball continues to become an arms race (beyond facilities and coaching salaries, which has been going on for awhile) with NIL funds getting out of hand, then WSU will become a 2nd-tier (at best) program at the D1 level, as there becomes less and less parity. That will lead to D1 getting split into multiple divisions and athletically we'll be no more relevant than what Fort Hays State is now. At that point, I'll have less interest in watching, let alone paying good money to go to games. It's just hard to get excited about succeeding at a level below the top.
                    I don’t agree with this take. There is simply not enough talent for the gap to be that big. It’s why there aren’t 50 NFL teams or 60 NBA teams. There’s not even enough talent to fill out the power 5.

Comment

There’s a shitload of good players under 6’5”. Getting the good players above that height is the difference between the haves and have nots.

Comment

this!

Comment

I voted for number 2. Because it seems like when it comes to NIL there aren't really any rules. I think we need to use the NIL to its full advantage. If we don't, we will be left behind. Good players will follow the money.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                            I voted for number 2. Because it seems like when it comes to NIL there aren't really any rules. I think we need to use the NIL to its full advantage. If we don't, we will be left behind. Good players will follow the money.
                            Exactly - and thank God we don't have football for that very reason. Way to expensive. Nine guys to pay on a basketball roster is much easier.
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I would prefer not to knowingly and deliberately breaking any rules. Now as far as bending a rule it depends on what that implies. As with most things in life a lot of things are not black and white. Usually, you can figure out pretty much where the line is drawn. I have no problem going right up to that line and bending over as far as they can as long as they don't step over the line.

Comment

If you can't beat them (by punishing and regulating them into ethical conformity), might as well join them (because that is apparently never going to happen, it appears).

Comment

Working...
                                X