Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What price would you be willing to pay for success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What price would you be willing to pay for success?

I posted this question before and shoxlax also touched on it in another thread as well. I would be interested to hear what this board thinks, especially as the WSU athletic department is staring down the barrel of a tough financial situation as it is.

I would be interested to know where this board stands, as I am not completely sure, but I would lean towards avoiding national obscurity w/r/t Men's Basketball and other sports as well. If it meant we had to be knocked down a peg (the equivalent of C-USA), would having the moral high ground be worth it? Is it worth it to not play by the rules since very few successful programs seem to be doing so?

Regardless, it's an interesting debate and I think one worth having at this point. Would love to hear the thoughts of this board.

REMINDER: This is independent of the "well if we had or didn't have IB/GM/CJ/whoever" discussion. I am sick of that at this point.
    I want to run a clean program that doesn't bend NIL rules at all, no matter the cost
    36.36%
    I am fine with bending NIL rules, but not participating in other shady activities
    47.73%
    I am fine with bending NIL rules and participating in shady activities if we can win
    13.64%
    Other (include in thread)
    2.27%
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

What do you mean by "bending NIL rules?"
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post
      What do you mean by "bending NIL rules?"
      Basically, Koch Industries paying players $100k for playing at WSU. Something like that.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I took bending the NIL rules as basically the unwritten portion of the contract is the money is tied to their participation at the school. My understanding is any contact is use of the NIL of the athlete independent of who they play for. I'm still waiting for someone to get smart and after committing to a big school and signing a big NIL deal to then decommit and try the process all over again. Would be interesting to see how many deals someone could with the temptation of getting a big name player.
        Last edited by Kung Wu; January 3, 2022, 01:43 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

I actually don't even know if it's considered "bending" the rules on NIL at this point. The rules are vague and unenforceable really. The NCAA is toothless. They can't request any info of a private company to know whether rules were broke or not. Nor would they even try at this point due to public sentiment. NIL is basically pay to play... Just as long as it doesn't come from the university directly.

Comment

NCAA is a joke. Nothing immoral about not following their jurisdiction. They're already close to extinction. The problem is whether WSU can remain competitive in a no holds barred arms race. Uncle Charlie has given no indication he'd invest in those endeavors.

Comment

I voted Not Bending the Rules.

Because most likely it would be a GIVEN, we would get caught. And you can bet the punishment would not be a slap on the wrist, but they would throw the entire book at us.

Comment

Marshall had success and ran a clean program. There is enough room in NIL to placate most athletes without bending any rules.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I voted #3 - I'll take winning at any costs.

Comment

I selected other. No need to bend any rules, with NIL anything is possible now without bending any rules. You just need somebody with deep pockets. Maybe get RICH ENERGY to sponsor your program. They have a excellent record in formula 1 ;)

Comment

If you have to "cheat" or "bend the rules", I want no part of it. If a team did that I wouldn't be spending a dime on any of the athletic programs...or on the university.

Comment

Purist basketball fans will hate this opinion, but times are changing and players are going to get paid within the fly by the seat of your pants NIL guidelines. Koch is a massive and wealthy company, and the name is already on the arena. If it's within the "rules" of NIL for Koch to somehow reward/pay our players $100k a year to be here representing WSU, doing promotions or commercials -- maybe even flashing a small Koch patch on the jersey -- I'm all for it. Hell, I'll block traffic while they back in the armored truck.

We would be foolish, IMO, to blatantly ignore what seems to be legal within NIL, IF it supports an advantage to WSU basketball, athletics in general, the university, and the city.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
                          Purist basketball fans will hate this opinion, but times are changing and players are going to get paid within the fly by the seat of your pants NIL guidelines. Koch is a massive and wealthy company, and the name is already on the arena. If it's within the "rules" of NIL for Koch to somehow reward/pay our players $100k a year to be here representing WSU, doing promotions or commercials -- maybe even flashing a small Koch patch on the jersey -- I'm all for it. Hell, I'll block traffic while they back in the armored truck.

We would be foolish, IMO, to blatantly ignore what seems to be legal within NIL, IF it supports an advantage to WSU basketball, athletics in general, the university, and the city.
                          You're assuming the namesake is interested in any of that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post

No, I don't assume that, I was just going with the previously mentioned example for simplicity. Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me if the company matches the name on the Arena, or court, or anything.

Edit: messed up the quote, was responding to BostonWu.

Comment

In this new era, If you don’t “bend the rules” you better have the reincarnation of John Wooden because players follow the money or will transfer if they feel “above” the program.

Comment

Working...
                              X