Blame Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blame Game

First, I'm certain there are many others on this fine board that could write this so much better than I. However, I'm responsible for having the feelings I do and it's for me to put it out here.

Why is the WSU basketball program where it is right now?

1) It's definitely not Isaac Brown. All he did was try to make a bad situation last year better and he did. So much so, he is now our Head Coach for better or for worse.

2) It's not the players that left in mass, although I'm not upset about a few of them leaving.

3) The timing of all of this is bad. The COVID era would have diminished fan attendance regardless. However, it just adds to WSU's problems. Even without COVID, the landscape of college basketball attendance was changing.

Now it's all about TV revenue which the AAC was caught in the middle. Not quite good enough, but almost. Unfortunately, my main reasons for wanting to go to the AAC are either gone or will be. This, too, will be impacting our program.

I might even add that some of the attendance problems may be coming from WSU itself and its policies regarding Priority Points.

4) At the heart of this is primarily Gregg Marshall and, to a lesser degree, AD Boatright.

I feel that fHC Turgeon started the comeback of WSU basketball. I also feel his timing for leaving was also good for several reasons. One of those was Gregg Marshall coming to WSU. Marshall built WSU into a national brand, maybe bigger than it ever had been. Little did we know the foundation of all this had some big cracks in it. Marshall's "style" of coaching was on its way out. Unfortunately, Marshall didn't see it or didn't care. Boatright was new to the job and knew who buttered WSU athletics' bread. The outburst in Canada was bad enough. Little did we know. It ended up mattering how bad things were with Marshall's relationship with some players and the sh*t hit the pan. Those things were undoubtably known by Boatright. The portal also made it easy for a mass exodus. Wonder if he saw that coming?

Let's add to this that WSU would be strapped for money for some time to come. Why? Because the AD knew about all that went on and did little to nothing early enough about it (even if he could). So, they were complicit. I feel that's why Marshall got all the severance money he did. But make no mistake, he was initially responsible for what all happened and strapping WSU financially for years didn't matter. I, too, did not like the contract Boatright made with Brown. We may never know whether it was all Boatright's doing or if Brown felt he could take advantage of the "current situation" in America. However, those monies pale in comparison to what all Marshall is getting.

Discuss?

This thread will end well

Comment

Poor leadership since Bardo.

It all starts at the top.

Comment

Let me put to rest any discussion of the contract. It was 100% on ADDB.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

That is all.
          No doubt, had he acted when he should, things could have turned out differently. I'm not an "insider". However, bashing on HCIB seems somewhat like bashing on a victim of previous responsible peoples' doing. Had things turned out even slightly better or slightly sooner, he probably would not be the coach. We will now just have to wait and see what all happens.

And thanks, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

No doubt, had he acted when he should, things could have turned out differently. I'm not an "insider". However, bashing on HCIB seems somewhat like bashing on a victim of previous responsible peoples' doing. Had things turned out even slightly better or slightly sooner, he probably would not be the coach. We will now just have to wait and see what all happens.

And thanks, Doc.
            IB is not a victim.

Comment

I feel there are several factors that have come together for a perfect storm.

1. The settlement with Marshall - for the Marshall supporters they can say there was not enough evidence to fire him for cause. For the non-marshall supporters, settling with him took precious resources from the program. Then there are some supporters who are just happy to have HCIB. Thus fan base is divided.

2. No coaching search - this has actually hurt HCIB. Was he the best available? Nobody knows, because there was no search. If there was a search and he was the best that was available then probably most of the base would be united behind him.

The supporters will argue he earned it. Non-supporters will argue the DB just did the easy thing to save his own neck and last year was a covid fluke where the team overachieved with a favorable schedule. The pragmatic fans will argue he was the best option to keep the program with its current trajectory while short on $$$ due to paying Marshall to go away.

So from the start, another issue to divide the fan base. I know several who didn't renew their tickets because they believe last year was "fools gold" and the administration was not serious about maintaining the program. There were potential cheap hires that could have united most of the fan base, but HCIB was not it.

3. COVID - a year away from going to games has an impact. Season tickets are expensive and now you have a fan base finding other entertainment options to replace basketball or cheaper ways to watch. Baseball should have informed the administration of how quickly it can go south.

Then there is some that can't go just because of health risks.

4. DB - he comes off a jerk. Where is the accountability for him?

The athletic department policies reflect the leadership of DB and they don't respect the average fans or reward them for their long faithfulness. They have decided they are going to ride the corporate sponsor's bandwagon. This may be the winning play, but it still going to leave a bad taste in the mouths and is another wedge issue.

Comment

So what eo we do now?

Fire our coach who has been on the job for one year and who was voted the Coach of the Year for the American Conference last year?

Do you think really believe any Coach who is worth a Piss is going to jump at the chance of coaching at this University, under this type of leadership?????

Whether we like it or not, we need to give Coach IB one or two more years and then make a decision based on facts and his record,, and not on the preconceived emotions that existed by many on this board prior to his even being hired.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                  So what eo we do now?
                  Fire the AD. That is where it starts. That also gives HCIB time to prove he belongs or not.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Fire the AD. That is where it starts. That also gives HCIB time to prove he belongs or not.
                    It also gives us someone in place to make a change if/when it's time
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Yup—-time to cast off the sinking “Boat”.

Comment

3G had too much power and fame/support in hindsight. Had he been allowed to leave for Alabama or been disciplined for a variety of reasons, heads would have rolled. Not a DB supporter, but it’s easier to say what should have happened after the fact. The cleanest move we could have made is let 3G walk while the walking was good and promote Greg Heier.

Comment

Does anyone believe DB would ever fire the guy he hired? DB has to go. The next AD can deal with IB and IB would know that winning was an important part of his future employment. As long as DB stays on, IB has a lifetime guaranteed job.

For better or worse, we've got IB for the next few years. Putting the athletic department in a position where a change can't be made if a change is needed is on DB. We can afford to replace DB, unless he's got some multi-million buyout that we don't know about. Do it now. Put Kemnitz in charge as the interim.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

That is all.
                            You channeling your inner ShockerRef?

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

You channeling your inner ShockerRef?
                              One must pay homage where and when homage is due.

ShockRef (as well as RefChick ) are really good people.

Comment

Working...
                              X