North Texas at Wichita State Pregame Discussion 12-18-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Texas at Wichita State Pregame Discussion 12-18-21

NORTH TEXAS (6-3) vs WICHITA STATE (8-2)
    SATURDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2021 | 3:00 P.M. CT
    WICHITA, KANSAS| CHARLES KOCH ARENA
    TV: ESPN+
    RADIO: KEYN 103.7 FM https://www.radio.com/keyn/listen
    SERIES: WICHITA STATE LEADS SERIES 26-11
    LAST MEETING: DECEMBER 4, 1982
    WICHITA STATE 78 NORTH TEXAS 72
    Last edited by wichshock65; December 16, 2021, 11:01 AM.

For some reason, I have this odd feeling that this one may bite us.

Yes, we looked better as a whole against Alcorn State, but it would be pretty hard not to against a team like that. If we carry the same kind of less selfish play into this one and keep it up, I'll feel a little better about things.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I actually have the experience of watching them play on tv vs. KU, at my brother in laws for Thanksgiving and he loves the Hawks(his only real flaw!)...PLUS the North Texas point guard played last year at Coffeyville which won the national title, so my B-I-B knew him pretty well, so I had a chance to chew the fat on Perry.....great kid, made the Ravens 'go' last year.....I was impressed with NT in the first half...then KU's talet depth took over...but frankly, I see this as a VERY tough game for the Shockers...hope I'm wrong....

Comment

This should be a tough game.

UNT is #77 in T-Rank with wins over Drake and UMass. Losses are to Buffalo by 3, KU by 12 and Miami FL by 6. Their calling card is their defense, with KU (71) the only team to break 70 against them. That's resulted in the #27 ranked defense nationally.

On the offensive side -- they're not as strong, with a middle-of-the-pack #191 ranking.

If that story sounds familiar, Wichita State's rankings are #22 for defense and #190 for offense (albeit against a tougher schedule.)

Not surprisingly, T-Rank predicts a close, hard-fought slog of a game: 57-54 good guys.*

It should be noted that T-Rank doesn't weigh home-court advantages beyond national averages (they have us as 1 point favorite over ECU, for instance), which means their prediction model is sketchy until later in the season.
        “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Grant McCasland is very highly thought of as a coaching prospect, maybe on the level of Bob Richey

Comment

How long had it been since a Bob Richey mention?:)

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
              How long had it been since a Bob Richey mention?:)
              Probably the last '76 post.

Comment

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

N. Texas is a good team, and has good players, and a good coach. Their Point Guard obviously has talent, and is probably lightning quick, although, I haven't seen him play, but it should be an interesting match up.

It was said on one of the threads that Tylor Perry, the N. Texas' PG is much better than what we have at Point Guard, and this imo is difficult to say, (although he may be) when comparing from afar. Tylor Perry also played a great scoring game against KU, but wasn't as good of a scorer against other teams. I hope he doesn't get "HOT" against us. Comparisons of these two players should be easier to make during and after the game, although WSU tends to have two point guards who play equally (minutes wise, and Qua isn't as good imo). Craig Porter's weakness is definitely his shooting at this time.

Here is what we know from their Bio's (who recruited them, their juco stats, etc.) I think I read that Tylor Perry was being recruited to schools like Missouri State, Montana, etc. but I can't remember exactly. Former Shocker Matt Breuer, then snatched him up, which was a great get for N. Texas.

2020-21 (Coffeyville CC) Tylor Perry
                  • Led Coffeyville CC to the 2021 NJCAA DI National Championship
                  • Scored 18 points and had seven assists in the 108-99 win in the 2021 NJCAA DI title game
                  • Named the 2021 NJCAA DI National Tournament MVP
                  • Averaged 16.2 points per game in the national tournament
                  • 2021 NJCAA Second Team All-American
                  • Averaged 17.6 points per game
                  • Played in 30 games and started all 30
                  • Led Coffeyville to a 27-3 overall recrod and start the year on a 13-game winning streak
                  • His 528 total points scored were the third most in the nation
                  • Scored 20 or more points 10 times
                  • Scored a season high 28 points at Neosho County in 29 minutes on March 25
                  • Shot 53.2 percent from the field and 43.9 percent from deep

Junior College: Craig Porter
                  Helped lead Vincennes to an NJCAA national championship in 2019 and a 62-7 record over two seasons… Drew interest from Indiana, Ole Miss, Oregon, UConn, Kansas, West Virginia, Texas Tech and Indiana State but committed to WSU on Mar. 29, 2020… As a sophomore, ranked 13th nationally in assists (6.5) and also averaged 14.8 points, 7.7 rebounds, 1.8 steals and 1.9 blocks… Totaled 127 blocks in two years… Team went 28-5 in 2019-20 with a No. 9 national ranking but was unable to defend its title due to the NJCAA tournament’s cancelation (COVID-19)… Recorded a triple-double (18 points, 13 rebounds, 10 assists) on Feb. 24 vs. Lewis & Clark… Finished the year with seven-straight double-digit assist games, including a season-high 16 in a Feb. 19 win over Lake Land and had two other 14-assist games… Ranked by Street & Smith Magazine as one of the top-25 players in junior college basketball prior to the 2019-20 season… Started 27 games as a freshman and averaged 8.4 points, 6.5 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 2.1 blocks… Helped lead his team to a 34-2 finish and the national title. Its two losses came by a combined four points and one of them was in overtime… Played for the same program that produced former Shocker Darius Carter (2013-15)… Coached by Todd Franklin.

Comment

If the fans in attendance won't cheer for our guys, hopefully they will at least acknowledge the UNT assistant coach when he's announced, if that's not too much a burden.

Comment

I know Christmas is Saturday the 25th, but what's with the 3:00 PM start on Tuesday? Seems very low major. Today at 3:00 is Regent U @ Coastal Carolina and Montreat College @ TN Tech.

Attendance is down and this won't help and that could be important against N Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        If the fans in attendance won't cheer for our guys, hopefully they will at least acknowledge the UNT assistant coach when he's announced, if that's not too much a burden.
                        The family will be there and screaming our brains out! As much as I get discouraged with our lack of shot-making ability, our guys busting ass on D more than makes up for it. That's what this program was built on and what has always received the loudest cheers. The roundhouse loves hustle play! Seeing the crowd on TV Tuesday just about broke my heart. It's time we get off of our collective arses at support these guys in person. No excuses!

​​​​​ Let's show our new conference mates they're in for a world of ****!

Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                          I know Christmas is Saturday the 25th, but what's with the 3:00 PM start on Tuesday? Seems very low major. Today at 3:00 is Regent U @ Coastal Carolina and Montreat College @ TN Tech.

Attendance is down and this won't help and that could be important against N Texas.
                          Sorry, I screwed that up. Game is Saturday at 3 PM. It's corrected now.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Sorry, I screwed that up. Game is Saturday at 3 PM. It's corrected now.
                            Made me look…….

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              Do they announce the assistants on the opposing team? I know they usually role through ours rather quickly. Maybe I've just never paid much attention as there aren't often former Shocker greats on the other bench.

Always loved me some Matty B. Kid had a ton of heart and gave everything he had. It's a shame his SR year was plagued with injuries. That team lacked depth and we really couldn't afford to lose him.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                              X