• 20 assists on 31 FG's
    • Pretty much everything Pohto
    • TE shot selection (most of the game)
    • Dex
    • 6 assists and no TO from CPJr.
    • Qua looked better
    • RCIV
    I didn't like:
    • Mo's inability to pass out of a ridiculous triple team (there's a reason teams triple team him and it isn't because he's Shaqesque)
    • Joe Pleasant not being able to finish
    • Pohto getting stuffed by the rim
    • 12 TO's. Still too many.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      I'll go on record that I really don't like the hockey style substitution. Individually, I think all of the 2nd string provide some good things, I just don't think it's in our best interest to play them all together. For example, Qua is a dropoff at PG, then you add in 2 guys (Ricky and Monzy) that both have a tendency to play kinda wild and out of control and you have a potential disaster on your hands. All 3 guys need to be playing with more stable, seasoned teammates. I'd prefer IB see how the first group is doing and make subs based on performance from time to time.
      It comes off as very generic and lazy and it disregards the need for individual attention. I don’t get it.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• If you have 10 guys that are of equal stature, I don't hate it. Let 5 guys gel in practice and use them as team A and then the next 5 as team B. Granted would need to know how to make adjustments on the fly with foul trouble and injuries, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
          If you have 10 guys that are of equal stature, I don't hate it. Let 5 guys gel in practice and use them as team A and then the next 5 as team B. Granted would need to know how to make adjustments on the fly with foul trouble and injuries, etc.
          Doesn’t matter much to me either… when I was cutting my teeth coaching 4 year olds, we always went 5 in, 5 out, another 5 in, 5 out, another 5 in, 5 out, then another 5 in, 5 out … 20 happy campers, 40 angry parents.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Doesn’t matter much to me either… when I was cutting my teeth coaching 4 year olds, we always went 5 in, 5 out, another 5 in, 5 out, another 5 in, 5 out, then another 5 in, 5 out … 20 happy campers, 40 angry parents.

Could they even get the ball into the peach basket?
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Could they even get the ball into the peach basket?
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Shaka kind of brought the mass (four or more at a time) subbing back from being dormant because of his style. Then Calipari started doing it to make everyone happy and it often worked, because there wasn't much dropoff. It makes perfect sense when it works, and looks awful when it doesn't- then you have to adjust on the fly.

With players transfering everywhere because of perceived lack of playing time, it may be gaining new traction. I will have to pay more attention to other games.

Comment

• RH: Wichita State Builds Trust - Shockers Hand Out Season-High 20 Assists

"You've got to learn to trust more," Grant said. "Then it's emphasized that if you move the ball in practice more, it translates to the game. Ball moves. Defense moves. Defense can't get set. You get them shooters open. Everything works."

Monzy Jackson might be the biggest magnet for ovations on a recent Wichita State basketball roster. When your brand is crashing into the front row, chasing rebounds, diving on the floor and playing full-speed, full-time, you attract cheers.

He noticed when Shocker fans applauded, many of them coming out of their seats, when most of the bench unit exited the court with 5:20 to play. That group – Jackson, Kenny Pohto, Ricky Council IV, Qua Grant and Chaunce Jenkins – did much of the work that extended the lead to a comfortable margin in Tuesday's 82-63 win over Alcorn State at Koch Arena.

That group started filtering in with 13:05 to play and the Shockers up 55-48. The Shockers led 72-53 when coach Isaac Brown brought back several starters and the reserves got their cheers.

"It's watching film with the team and (Brown) really emphasized making the extra pass and setting up teammates," Grant said. "It makes everything smoother. We realize we've got a lot of talent, so if we can spread the ball around, it makes it harder for the defense."

The ball movement contrasted with the issues earlier in the season when the Shockers dribbled away the shot clock and forced shots. That was a team that wasn't clicking. That was a team that hadn't figured out how to trust, how to work together and how to let passing, cutting, screening and unselfishness make the game easier.

It takes time to build trust each season and this is a team with significant new parts. That trust will get tested against a tougher opponent on Saturday against North Texas – which defeated Purdue in the NCAA Tournament. Soon after, American Athletic Conference play starts and opponents grow bigger, faster and armed with detailed scouting reports.

Comment

Working...
                  X