Alcorn State at Wichita State Game Thread 12-14-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arizona Shocker View Post

Not for me! I got them at 20 earlier today! Woot woot, more Shocker gear Christmas presents + Shox win!!
    Understand you were on the right side of the ledger but Fever was correct, the shox failed to cover once again.

Comment

• There were a couple of younger men (maybe late 20s) wearing grey WSU threads to the right (if you were looking at them) of the student section (kind of corner behind ASU bench) who went pretty bonkers when ASU scored that last basket.

99% they had money on the Braves.......50/50 they lurk and or post here.

Comment

• Mo is doing Mo things well right now. I certainly would take this for the rest of the season. 17 of his last 20 FT (don't ask me how but he's getting it done).

I thought for the most part the guys shared the ball much better and also did a better job of playing within themselves. Again, I think we got a little better tonight. Baby steps.

I realize we can be tough to watch right now.....and I'm not about to argue the other side, but my gosh, these kids do get after it and play hard and I just don't get the lack of vocal support from the people that actually attend. I get why some aren't going, but if you go and can't applaud and cheer for these kids busting tail, I just don't get that.

CJ is going to have to learn to give consistent defensive effort. He jogs too often, and he should be extremely thankful FHCGM isn't around to critique that effort.

We actually set and used a couple of screens tonight. That was fun.

I also felt like the shot selection, overall, was improved. One thing I'd like to get input on, I don't think our guys do a good job of being ready to catch the ball. Joe Pleasant seems halfway decent at making himself available and being ready to pass/dribble/drive (triple threat position) when he catches the ball but that's a skill that is evading a great deal of the rest of the team.

Watch Dex and see if he catches a skip and THEN takes a step (or movement) to get squared up or jump up. I think this is an area that improvement would bear serious fruit.

We are still a THIN team (one scholly short, only 1 walk on, and 2 guys RS and one of those hurt) with little room for error (or extended practice), very deficient at the PG and no true 5. Given those shortcomings, I'm very pleased with the results so far.

Our hands are very full Saturday. A big crowd would be nice. A loud crowd would be even better. And an appreciative crowd would be fantastic.

Comment

• In spite of Lax not liking the mass substitution of last night I enjoy watching the next five up play together as a unit. I would imagine this is the way they practice in that what is now the starting line up plays against the next five up. I feel they have developed more as a unit than just subbing in for a starter for a few minutes and then having another next five sub in. Felt there was better flow when it was all or none. If I was an opposing team I would really hate the fact that the next five up was as good and/or talented as the starters. Go Next Five. Go Shocks

Comment

• Okay, I am encouraged by the assists the past two games but not sold yet we can
            accomplish those numbers against a good opponent. Encouraged that KP got a
            few more minutes. Encouraged that the ball isn't getting as stuck in a ballhandlers
            hands too long.........especially TE's who's value is on a wing looking to catch and
            shoot when wide open. You could see he was seeing the court much better last
            night and spotting / passing to open team mates. You can still see he doesn't
            have a PG's mind set though when he failed to pass to the OPEN leading man on
            a fast break (C4) and instead took the layup himself. True PG's value assists over
            buckets. It was a good practice game but now has to carry over to good opponent.
            We do have a pretty solid second five so no reason why any player should not be
            busting their tails every minute they are out there especially on defense cause
            their backups are getting better and better.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Mo is doing Mo things well right now. I certainly would take this for the rest of the season. 17 of his last 20 FT (don't ask me how but he's getting it done).

I thought for the most part the guys shared the ball much better and also did a better job of playing within themselves. Again, I think we got a little better tonight. Baby steps.

I realize we can be tough to watch right now.....and I'm not about to argue the other side, but my gosh, these kids do get after it and play hard and I just don't get the lack of vocal support from the people that actually attend. I get why some aren't going, but if you go and can't applaud and cheer for these kids busting tail, I just don't get that.

CJ is going to have to learn to give consistent defensive effort. He jogs too often, and he should be extremely thankful FHCGM isn't around to critique that effort.

We actually set and used a couple of screens tonight. That was fun.

I also felt like the shot selection, overall, was improved. One thing I'd like to get input on, I don't think our guys do a good job of being ready to catch the ball. Joe Pleasant seems halfway decent at making himself available and being ready to pass/dribble/drive (triple threat position) when he catches the ball but that's a skill that is evading a great deal of the rest of the team.

Watch Dex and see if he catches a skip and THEN takes a step (or movement) to get squared up or jump up. I think this is an area that improvement would bear serious fruit.

We are still a THIN team (one scholly short, only 1 walk on, and 2 guys RS and one of those hurt) with little room for error (or extended practice), very deficient at the PG and no true 5. Given those shortcomings, I'm very pleased with the results so far.

Our hands are very full Saturday. A big crowd would be nice. A loud crowd would be even better. And an appreciative crowd would be fantastic.
              Doc,
              Rarely, if ever, disagree with your analysis.
              Yes, Mo had a decent Mo night. But he is consistent with his predictable dumbass decisions.
              Example #1 - His elbow to the face (correctly called an F1) of the Alcorn player when pinned underneath the basket was stupid. Either kick the ball out or maybe call a TO if no other choice.
              Example #2 - His wipe out foul of the three point shooter in the corner was the classic Mo stupid decision.

He is consistent, I'll give him that.

Said it before, I'll say it again, More Kenny, less Mo.

That is all.
              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Understand you were on the right side of the ledger but Fever was correct, the shox failed to cover once again.
                Aha, gotcha…my bad, for some reason I thought he took Alcorn but got a different spread. Not my sharpest moment of brain power…

Comment

• The stupidest this was when Mr. Close kept saying that Mo didn't hit that guy in the neck intentionally. Dumbass. Maliciously, perhaps, was the word he wanted

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Can't we hit a simple layup!??
                    Nope. Clanggggggg from point blank range.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Doc,
                      Rarely, if ever, disagree with your analysis.
                      Yes, Mo had a decent Mo night. But he is consistent with his predictable dumbass decisions.
                      Example #1 - His elbow to the face (correctly called an F1) of the Alcorn player when pinned underneath the basket was stupid. Either kick the ball out or maybe call a TO if no other choice.
                      Example #2 - His wipe out foul of the three point shooter in the corner was the classic Mo stupid decision.

He is consistent, I'll give him that.

Said it before, I'll say it again, More Kenny, less Mo.

That is all.
                      No argument from me. Mo doing Mo things is relative....It's one of those "is what it is" things. Play to your strengths, don't shoot the ball more than 3 feet from the basket (check), make more than half those shots (5-9 check & 58% on the season) and hopefully limit the really bad mistakes (allowing the quadruple team without passing, swinging elbows etc). Just play good D, shoot layups and strong quick post moves, pass the ball when doubled or in a bad spot, DO NOT DRIBBLE, and do not shoot any shot outside a short hook.

And yes, more Kenny. I don't understand why he doesn't play more (and I know what his defensive liabilities are and are not compared to Mo). Kenny needs more minutes for many reasons, not the least of which is to give Mo some rest. He can't play these minutes all season.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        The stupidest this was when Mr. Close kept saying that Mo didn't hit that guy in the neck intentionally. Dumbass. Maliciously, perhaps, was the word he wanted
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Nope. Clanggggggg from point blank range.
                          And sometimes: Whifffffff from point blank range. LMAO

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I'll go on record that I really don't like the hockey style substitution. Individually, I think all of the 2nd string provide some good things, I just don't think it's in our best interest to play them all together. For example, Qua is a dropoff at PG, then you add in 2 guys (Ricky and Monzy) that both have a tendency to play kinda wild and out of control and you have a potential disaster on your hands. All 3 guys need to be playing with more stable, seasoned teammates. I'd prefer IB see how the first group is doing and make subs based on performance from time to time.

Comment

• Agree with Dan here. I'd like to see more variations / combinations plus going
                              more with hot hands. I've made no secret we should try KP at stretch four. I'd like
                              to see RC4 at SG with CP at point, DD at SF, KP at PF and MU at center at least for
                              a stretch of 4-5 minutes. Maybe go 3-2 zone with that combo.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                                I'd like to see RC4 at SG with CP at point, DD at SF, KP at PF and MU at center at least for
                                a stretch of 4-5 minutes. Maybe go 3-2 zone with that combo.
                                might be our most lethal grouping, it would be fun to see how that would play out

Comment

Working...
                                X