All Sports Trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Sports Trophy

I know the good DRWU is always on top of the points and standings....so how we doing doc?

I'm guessing that the women's team being improved this year will really help out in the standings, right?

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
      I know the good DRWU is always on top of the points and standings....so how we doing doc?

Interesting you should bring this up, as I was just thinking about our standing after the indoor meet this last weekend. Most seasons we get zapped by one or 2 programs while the rest are strong. So far this season nothing looks too damaging except softball.

So far we have a 1 (mbb) two 2s (wXc, windoor) two 3s (wvb, mindoor) & one 4 (mXc).

Men's and women's outdoor track will be top 2 at least. Baseball, who knows but should be no worse than top 4. Women's tennis will be 1. Men's golf should be a 1 or 2. Women's golf I don't know, but the team was better last season. Men's tennis probably a 2. Women's basketball should be no worse than 4. Softball is a problem, anything is possible there.

A quick calculation puts us at an estimated (by me) 2.86...usually good enough to win, but not always.

That being said, no other school has our consistency so far. Basketball kills SIU with two 9s. Indiana State gets an 8 and a 5 or 6 in basketball. Those big numbers are tough to overcome. Illinois State is really the only challenger at this point.

They've got the following scores: 1 (wXc) a 3 (windoors), a 4 (mbb) two 5s (volleyball, mXc) & a 6 (mindoors) for a 4.00 average.

Bottom line, barring a collapse, the trophy stays where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
        I'm guessing that the women's team being improved this year will really help out in the standings, right?
        The Women's basketball team was 5th last year and looks like the will finish in either a tie for 2nd or alone in 3rd this year, although they could fall into a tie for 4th. Technically, the Shocks could still finish as high as a tie for 1st and as low as a tie for 5th, although I think those possibilities are pretty remote.

The softball team is our problem sport right now. They finished 7th last year and are picked to finish 8th this year. We are in the transition year of a new Coach who has not yeat had a recruiting class although I believe we retained all of the recruits who committed under the previous regime.

Last year the Shocks won the AST with a score of 2.733. I will be a little more optimistic than Doc and predict a score of 2.633 for this year but I agree we should win our 19th AST if we perform to our capabilities and avoid injuires to any key athletes.

:poster_shocks:

Comment

Here's an update with 8 championships remaining.

Leaders, 2012-13
          Missouri State 2.25
          Wichita State 2.57
          Illinois State 3.33
          Creighton 4.71
          UNI 5.00

Comment

Shocks looking good in: Men's T&F, Women's T&F, Men's Golf, Women's Tennis and Men's Tennis (I think).

Not sure how the Women's golf team might fare. The have a solid senior in Gretchen Huhnerkoch, but not sure about their depth.

Baseball is hard to predict. MVC baseball is looking a bit like the season's MVC basketball except that we may not see any team or teams separate from the pack.

Softball is a problem. Currently in dead last (10th) at 0-12 in MVC play, however our schedule has been front-end loaded with the top MVC teams. Still we are not pitching very well and it will be a challenge to move up even to the 8th place finish predicted in the preseason. Hopefully, strong performances by our other Spring sports can over come what looks like a very low finish for the softball team.

Comment

I looked at this again with 7 sports remaining to be determined. Men's Golf, Men's Tennis, Women's Tennis, Men's Outdoor T&F, Women's Outdoor T&F, Softball and Baseball.

WSU participates in all 7 of these sports. MSU participates in only 4 of these sports. They do not field men's or women's tennis teams and the do field a men's track & field team.

After the just completed Women's Golf Championship which MSU won and the Shockers finish 6th I have MSU at 2.11 (19/9) and the Shocks at 3.00 (24/8).

I project MSU will finish at 2.31 (30/13) and the Shocks will finish at around 2.87 (43/15). Right where @WuDrWu: had pegged it back in February.

MSU is helped by the fact they don't count football, where they finished 8th, although that would only bring them up to 2.71 if it was counted.

There are 8 sports where the Bears and the Shockers do not compete against each other that are included in the AST.

MSU does not compete in Men's XC, Men's Tennis, Women's Tennis, or in Track & Field (T&F counts for 2 as the indoor and outdoor seasons are separate championships). I estimate the Shocks will score 2.4 to 2.6 in these 5 sports.

The Shocks don't compete in Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer and Swimming/Diving. MSU scored 1.67 in these 3 sports.

Women's golf (6th), Softball (TBD but I put them at 8th) and Baseball (TBD - currently tied for 4th) have hurt. The Shocks will be about 6.17 in those 3 sports vs about 2.67 for MSU.

The Shocks will do very well in Men's Golf, Men's Tennis, Women's Tennis and Men's & Women's Outdoor T&F but MSU only participates in 2 of those sports and are probably looking at 2nd places finishes in those.

I just don't see any way the Shocks can make up the defiicit at this point.

Comment

Sport WSU MSU
                Volleyball 3 2
                Women's Cross Country 2 4
                Men's Cross Country 4 DNP
                Men's Soccer DNP 1.5
                Women's Soccer DNP 2.5
                Men's Indoor T&F 3 DNP
                Women's Indoor T&F 2 1
                Swimming & Diving DNP 1
                Men's Basketball 1 5
                Women's Basketball 3 1
                Women's Golf 6 1
                Men's Golf 1 2
                Women's Tennis 1 DNP
                Men's Tennis 2 DNP
                Women's Outdoor T&F 1 5
                Men's Outdoor T&F 2 DNP
                Baseball 3 2
                Softball 9 6
                Total Points 43 34
                Number of Sports 15 13
                Average Per Sport 2.87 2.62
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 19, 2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I have updated the AST chart for the actual results of Men's Golf, Men's Tennis and Women's Tennis.

Finishes were as expected so no change in the projected score.

Comment

Do they really count swimming and diving for this award? No doubt MSU has been strong this year and would probably win it anyway, but it seems a little skewed when you factor in a 1 in a 3 or 4 horse field (which I think S&D is). Soccer isn't much better. I mean it's not like a 6-10 is even possible.

I'm sure I have lamented this in previous years as well.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Do they really count swimming and diving for this award? No doubt MSU has been strong this year and would probably win it anyway, but it seems a little skewed when you factor in a 1 in a 3 or 4 horse field (which I think S&D is). Soccer isn't much better. I mean it's not like a 6-10 is even possible.

I'm sure I have lamented this in previous years as well.
                      Doc, to the best that I can determine these are the sports that I had to include to agree with the numbers being put out by the MVC leading up to the 8 spring sport championships.

Women's S&D is a 5-team field (EU, ILS, MSU, SIU and UNI).

Men's Soccer is a 5+2 team field (CU, BU, DU, EU, MSU + Central Arkansas + SIU Edwardsville)

Women's Soccer is a 7-team field (CU, DU, EU, ILS, INS, MSU and UNI)
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 1, 2012, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Table updated for final Softball standings. Shocks lose a little bit more ground to MSU.

MSU finished 6 as projected, but the Shocks finished 9th, a notch below expectations.

Comment

*Don't forget to update WSU's total points to 44 instead of 43

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                            *Don't forget to update WSU's total points to 44 instead of 43
                            Good catch. Updated.

Comment

From Paul Suellentrop's weekly e-newsletter:

WSU coaches met with John Bardo, the new university president, last week. The coaches I talked to came away with impressed with Bardo’s ideas, enthusiasm and appreciation for athletics. Bardo taught sociology from 1973-83 at WSU, so he has history with the Shockers. He told coaches he remembered going to baseball game before the ballpark featured stands. Those ties to WSU made a good impression, as did his request for information about what programs needed to improve.

Bardo gave the coaches the impression he liked the way things ran, and he didn’t plan to make big changes. He addressed football, making common-sense points one would expect from a new president. He said he likes football, but any idea of reviving the sport would require a large donation for start-up money and a guarantee other sports could maintain their success.

Comment

Working...
                              X