Wichita State Shockers vs. UNLV Pregame Discussion 11-21-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what to expect tonight, from either team.

I think Kevin Kruger does a nice job and I expect UNLV will have a good scout vs the Shocks tonight.

Rebel fans did show up in good numbers for the late game vs Meeeeshigan but that was a FRIDAY night.

I feel confident around 99% of WSU fans here Friday will be here tonight, free from the burden of work etc tomorrow. It’s not like that for UNLV. Not only are you not getting home more than 15 minutes prior to midnight, you’re looking at a minimum of $35 each way taxi/rideshare (probably closer to $50) or a $45 parking fee if you drive yourself (and add another 15-45 minutes of parking time). In addition, you aren’t playing Michigan and you are in the losers bracket. I won’t be surprised if WSU fans are close to Rebel fans in numbers and spirit.

But then I wouldn’t fault our guys for being flat given all the circumstances I just mentioned, including travel schedule, upcoming games and holidays etc. Just a lot of variables that might, could and will affect both teams.

I thought Vegas was pretty darned good vs Michigan. We will have our hands full with their talent and schemes.
    They will be the 2nd best team that will face so far this year. We need to make our free throws. Should have beat AZ. We turned them over 22 times. Lost opportunity for a quality win.

Comment

I like moral victories if you learn from them and they turn in real victories. Otherwise they are worthless.

Comment

First four games were pretty easy to pick but this one is much tougher.
        We expended a lot of energy Friday night in a disappointing loss.
        We have to play with that kind of energy on defense to make up for our
        lackluster offense and it's hard to do that two games in a row so - bad vibes.
        On the positive side could MU, TE and DD break out in a big way?
        Doubtful against a pretty decent UNLV team so I am picking Rebels 69-65

Comment

I do believe that this will be considered a road game by NET standards ... So this game has an outside chance at ending Q1. Let's make it count.

Edit: well according to Taylor this might not be true. Might still be neutral somehow
          Last edited by Stickboy46; November 21, 2021, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Agree on expending an ass-ton of energy the other night. We may only be running on a half tank tonight...but as we saw against AZ...these guys showed they have what it takes to get after it!!! Gotta bring that extra effort tonight boys. Let's GO SHOCKS!!!!
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

We are simply blessed to even step on the floor with the school that hosted the greatest team of all time.
              Last edited by Kung Wu; November 21, 2021, 04:30 PM.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I think Lon Kruger has retired and is in Vegas helping Kevin and I am sure he is helping with the scout. This won’t be an easy game.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  We are simply blessed to even step on the floor with the school that hosted the greatest team of all time.
                  UNLV was lucky to NOT have a jealous byatch of a school in their home state putting them on probabtion back then.

Unfortunately for us.......
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

WSU 70, UNLV 68
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                      WSU 70, UNLV 68
                      Not sure my old heart can handle another nail bitter.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

UNLV was lucky to NOT have a jealous byatch of a school in their home state putting them on probabtion back then.

Unfortunately for us.......
                        At the time I heard that a Wichita doctor who Smithson kicked out of the WSU locker room ran to the Kansas City Star with a trumped up story about Smithson's program. And that initiated the media feeding frenzy which led to the NCAA sanctions and probably the eventual destruction of Smithson's program. I don't think the University of Kansas had much if anything to do with it, but undoubtedly some sanctimonious people and local media in northeastern Kansas enjoyed the feeding frenzy. And certainly the KC Star had a lot to do with it.

Have always wondered what became of the Wichita doctor...
                        Last edited by N Crestway; November 21, 2021, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Not sure my old heart can handle another nail bitter.
                          Yipes, stripes, beechnut gum. We needed this win bad. They stepped on our foot and there was some hostility,. Great win for our beloved Shox

Comment

WSU 70, UNLV 68
                            Wow, you still got it, forevershockerfan !

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Wow, you still got it, forevershockerfan !
                              Thanks "Kung Wu the Great." As you know, I always still pick the Shocks to win every solitary game. This helps me to sleep like a baby, bay-bay.

Comment

Thanks "Kung Wu the Great." As you know, I always still pick the Shocks to win every solitary game. This helps me to sleep like a baby, bay-bay.
                                Yessir, and that pick was finer than a frog's hair!

Comment

Working...
                                X