When we are done paying Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I definitely know that because I watched every game of Gregg Marshall’s tenure as WSU coach.
    Know what?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Know what?
      Know that Marshall would not have “benched all the wrong guys for the next 5 (if not 10) games, because, as was usually the case, it was their fault.”

Comment

I know you are but what am I??
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
          Think we’re a post or two away from “I’m rubber and you’re glue.”
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

DickHead ii.jpg

Well, you did ask...

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

Meaningless. We fired him due to candy ass woke snowflakes in charge.
              Says the guy still crying about a dude who doesn't know, or care about you, getting fired.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

Wrong! Marshall could have kept his job if he hadn't said "none of that ever happened". The moment he said that, WSU had no choice but to negotiate a settlement. By saying "none of that ever happened", Marshall knew he would be getting a buyout. By taking $1.7 mill from the athletic department for something like - what is it? - 7 years?, Marshall showed he has no loyalty to WSU athletics. His loyalty is to his pocketbook.

He has a history of doing that by applying for every P5 job that opened up and insisting WSU compete with any offers he got. That's his right, and actually it's in his best interest to do that. Ever heard of Mark Few doing that?

With the current situation of losing a year of ticket sales and SASO donations followed by this year's reduced attendance, the athletic department has significant financial problems.

If GGG gave a rat's ass about the success of WSU athletics, he could offer a deferment on his buyout until the athletic department could cover expenses, which has to be a serious challenge right now.

Marshall was a great winner as a coach at WSU. He should always be remembered for that. His ability to recruit after the allegations against him, the support of those allegations, and his denial of the allegations meant he was going to be challenged recruiting to WSU.

Marshall chose the route where there was no option to retain him, which left him with a $1mill+ payroll for several years for doing nothing other than damaging the WSU athletic department's ability to hire a decent replacement.

The Marshall lovers are going to rip me for this post, but how much better would WSU athletics be if Marshall had merely apologized even if he was innocent of everything alleged against him?
                Are you saying that HCIB is not a decent replacement?
                I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

Are you saying that HCIB is not a decent replacement?
                  It doesn’t mean it’s not possible to, just significantly more difficult.

Not that hard of a concept to understand if you aren’t a brick.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

It doesn’t mean it’s not possible to, just significantly more difficult.

Not that hard of a concept to understand if you aren’t a brick.
                    It didn't seem too difficult to sign HCIB. Why resort to name calling? I thought that was a reasonable question. Blaming FHCGM because he is getting paid what is legally owed to him because he was asked to leave the team just seems a bit odd to me.

Comment

We probably could have come up with more money for a "bigger name" coach ...

That said ... HCIB made it literally impossible to not hire him last year.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

Says the guy still crying about a dude who doesn't know, or care about you, getting fired.
                        I could give a bleep if he knows or cares about me. I enjoyed the confidence for 13 years that odds are we are going to win the next game. As for crying, you’re the one that seems sad to me. We won Sunday night. I’m happy!

Comment

It didn't seem too difficult to sign HCIB. Why resort to name calling? I thought that was a reasonable question. Blaming FHCGM because he is getting paid what is legally owed to him because he was asked to leave the team just seems a bit odd to me.
                          I think you are confusing me with someone else. I did not complain about paying Marshall. But I will take your bait.

Marshall and the program parted ways at the 11th hour of the 2020 offseason. Isaac was thrust into the HC role, and a “coaching search” was “started”. To answer your question, it is extremely difficult to conduct an honest coaching search in-season because every self respecting coach (and certainly any that would pique WSUs interest) will hang up or not even answer the phone to begin with because they are focusing on the season and team they are currently leading.

So then WSU was stuck with an interim-hc, no other candidates, and non-committal recruits because of an uncertain future. Now, if your idea of due diligence in a hiring process to replace one of the highest paid employees in the state, and one of the top ten at his position in the nation, is to only look and only consider your in-house candidate who has zero experience at the helm of a top 10 program, then by all means, the search was easy and it was easy to make the hire.

But then that would be akin to a chef at a 5 star restaurant discovering his food had spoiled and then serving Boyardees to please the customers sitting at the table and suggesting that it was an easy meal because he found it in the back of his car and implying that it was satisfactory because of the conditions which he found himself in. I’d call him a brick, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

What is known is that GGG left HCIB with a team that was shorter than any team he ever had. The front lines he put on the floor against WV, and the other teams cited, were certainly bigger than the team we saw from WSU Friday. No? How'd they do?

Who in the hell would ever want a 6'8" center (if Mo is that), even at the JUCO level, going up against the Zona's and Sooners of the D1 world?

As a matter of fact, the last time WSU fielded a front line this small was when turgeon was getting his a** handed to him in 07. That's about the same time he decided it'd be a good idea to get out of town, while the gettin' was still good.
                            I almost always agree with you on all things basketball. Your takes in this thread are spot on. I don't know what the HCIB era will bring, but he has a conference championship under his belt, however odd it was, and he has this team at 4-1 playing not great basketball. They aren't quitters I know that much and I'm here for it until I'm not.
                            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I think you are confusing me with someone else. I did not complain about paying Marshall. But I will take your bait.

Marshall and the program parted ways at the 11th hour of the 2020 offseason. Isaac was thrust into the HC role, and a “coaching search” was “started”. To answer your question, it is extremely difficult to conduct an honest coaching search in-season because every self respecting coach (and certainly any that would pique WSUs interest) will hang up or not even answer the phone to begin with because they are focusing on the season and team they are currently leading.

So then WSU was stuck with an interim-hc, no other candidates, and non-committal recruits because of an uncertain future. Now, if your idea of due diligence in a hiring process to replace one of the highest paid employees in the state, and one of the top ten at his position in the nation, is to only look and only consider your in-house candidate who has zero experience at the helm of a top 10 program, then by all means, the search was easy and it was easy to make the hire.

But then that would be akin to a chef at a 5 star restaurant discovering his food had spoiled and then serving Boyardees to please the customers sitting at the table and suggesting that it was an easy meal because he found it in the back of his car and implying that it was satisfactory because of the conditions which he found himself in. I’d call him a brick, too.

You seem to change your argument with each response. Below is the line in the post I originally responded to. Which wasn't your post.

"Marshall chose the route where there was no option to retain him, which left him with a $1mill+ payroll for several years for doing nothing other than damaging the WSU athletic department's ability to hire a decent replacement."

I asked the simple question "Are you saying that HCIB is not a decent replacement?"

You responded with:
                              "It doesn’t mean it’s not possible to, just significantly more difficult.

Not that hard of a concept to understand if you aren’t a brick."

I then explained that I don't believe it was Marshalls fault that they asked him to leave and he wants to get paid per his contract. Based upon the original statement that Marshall was the reason it was hard to find a decent coach. I also said the hiring HCIB didn't seem too difficult.

Now you are throwing in due diligence and hiring process and only considering the in house candidate...none of which was part of the original issues discussed. Lastly you compared hiring HCIB to a serving a can of Boyardee's found in the back of a car.

My original and only question based upon the statement, was WuTheOne saying HCIB was not a decent replacement. I don't really care if either one of you answer it.

Comment

You seem to change your argument with each response. Below is the line in the post I originally responded to. Which wasn't your post.

"Marshall chose the route where there was no option to retain him, which left him with a $1mill+ payroll for several years for doing nothing other than damaging the WSU athletic department's ability to hire a decent replacement."

I asked the simple question "Are you saying that HCIB is not a decent replacement?"

You responded with:
                                "It doesn’t mean it’s not possible to, just significantly more difficult.

Not that hard of a concept to understand if you aren’t a brick."

I then explained that I don't believe it was Marshalls fault that they asked him to leave and he wants to get paid per his contract. Based upon the original statement that Marshall was the reason it was hard to find a decent coach. I also said the hiring HCIB didn't seem too difficult.

Now you are throwing in due diligence and hiring process and only considering the in house candidate...none of which was part of the original issues discussed. Lastly you compared hiring HCIB to a serving a can of Boyardee's found in the back of a car.

My original and only question based upon the statement, was WuTheOne saying HCIB was not a decent replacement. I don't really care if either one of you answer it.

You over simplified it to mean something that was not meant. Yes, the ability to find a decent replacement was damaged. The definition of damage is “harm caused to something in such a way as to impair its value, usefulness, or normal function.” They had one candidate for a job that would normally have hundreds of inquiries, and a short list of successful coaches at various levels, simply because of the timing.

You appear to try to turn WuTheOne’s comment into a slight at IB. A person would have to be a simpleton to seriously suggest what you suggested when you asked if he thought IB was a decent replacement.

So, to answer your question directly-

What IB is or isn’t is irrelevant to what WuTheOne posted and further discussion only serves to distract from the main course of the conversation at hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X