No announcement yet.

Wichita State Shockers vs. Arizona Wildcats Game Thread 11-19-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This team is difficult to figure out, and we will have to see what progress is made down the road, because we do have athleticism, play making capabilities (although inconsistent), etc.

-Sometimes we play too fast (or at least out of control)
    -Sometimes our athletic, fast play works great, and we score quickly
    -Sometimes we need to slow it down.
    -Sometimes when we slow it down, we shouldn't.
    -Sometimes we rebound well as a team (we become ball getters like X was)
    -Sometimes we can't get a rebound at all (for various reasons)
    -Sometimes we forget to screen out our man (some players more than others)
    -Sometimes we stay in front of our man on defense
    -Sometimes we can't stay in front of our man on defense
    -Sometimes we hit almost all of our free throws (First 3 games)
    -Sometimes we can't hit a free throw (Arizona)
    -Sometimes we hit 3 point shots
    -Sometimes we can't get assists because we miss 3 point shots
    -Sometimes we can't get assists because we don't execute half court offense, including sets
    - Often our BBIQ seems to be missing
    -Often Mo shoots free throws good
    -Often Mo can't hit a layup
    -Often our pressure defense seems to work right now, more so than our half court defense.
    -Often we miss 3 point shots
    -Often we fall behind.
    -Sometimes we catch up
    I'm sure that there are things that you can all think of to add to this list.

However, the one thing that we are consistent at is our inconsistencies, and low BBIQ, and it drives me crazy.

Comment

• 16 down to a gallant comeback and a close OT loss against a talented team. Bring us home a win versus UNLV and we will call it good. Would love to see Tre King as a Shocker 2nd semester.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
        Also our offense will be limited until defenses have to respect our inside presence. The guys we have now don’t scare anyone.
        I think they respect it because every team has doubled. Of course any coach who watched film would because they’d see that Mo can’t handle a double team and will turn it over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
          This team is difficult to figure out, and we will have to see what progress is made down the road, because we do have athleticism, play making capabilities (although inconsistent), etc.

-Sometimes we can't get assists because we don't execute half court offense, including sets
          -Often our pressure defense seems to work right now, more so than our half court defense.
          -Often we fall behind.
          -Sometimes we catch up

However, the one thing that we are consistent at is our inconsistencies, and low BBIQ, and it drives me crazy.
          What you call low BBIQ I would attribute SOMEWHAT to it all being at same stage of experience, but beyond that, loved your list

Comment

• I took a lot of flak the previous game for my unhappiness over KP's playing time.
            MU's basketball skill set is not going to suddenly improve. KP's will along with confidence.
            I like JP but his recruitment and play has been disappointing to date.
            We seem to have some dead wood on the bench outside of Jenkins.
            Still very poor ball movement, too much dribbling few assists and one on one hero ball
            I fear a let down tomorrow at least in energy but better shooting and paint scoring
            team FG 37% shooting and 30% deep isn't going to win many games
            Last edited by asiseeit; November 20, 2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• I think it’s imperative that we continue to acknowledge the effort of this team.

I thought Kenny really had deer in the headlights early but man did he grow up and continued to battle against MEN.

Anybody think after 15 or so minutes that Arizona could run the pick and lob for a dunk any damned time they wanted and there was literally NOTHING we could do to stop it? And I’ll be damned if our guys just didn’t do that and I don’t think gave up more than one more of those the rest of the game, in spite of playing the vast majority of the 2nd half without what we call a 5 AND a 4 vs one of the biggest teams in the nation. That’s a truckload of “want to”.

I hope Craig Porter gets both seats on the plane because his nutsack needs someplace to rest in comfort.

His best game by far in his toughest test, again, BY FAR. Very well done young man.

Down 0-5 battle back to tie.

Down 14 battle back to 6, 7 at the break. Teetering but alive.

Down SIXTEEN cut it to 3 just under 10 left. By the way, ShockerNation blowing up T-Mobile at that moment.

Down eight AGAIN and TAKE THE LEAD 65-64 with 2 minutes to go.

Down 3 after getting run over on an and 1, tie it up and go to OT with our biggest guy being Dex against a team with fourteen 7 footers.

Down NINE in OT, and I freaking promise you that every single one of you bastigages, including yours truly, was like “great effort but the tank is empty and they gave it their all” and these ****ing kids say hell no we’re STILL not done ,somehow cut it to 2 and force douchebag headband guy to make both FTs to seal the game.

I have to go back to the SIU game 16+ years ago to remember that kind of resiliency in the face of a superior team.

Joe Pleasant quietly guards his ass off. Yes we need him to score some but damn he battles.

I have/had zero issues with Arizona fan. Good fans and nice people. Visited with literally dozens. They know they have a good team, they know our guys are gutty, and they KNOW and acknowledge the best fans. Unquestionably.

That being said, they have a couple of punks that need a beating, but they have studs too especially those 2 monsters inside and that Canadian kid Mathurin.

Comment

• It is 100% not fair that HCIB is having to learn on the job in this environment. I am NOT placing blame anywhere….this has been an impossible set of events over the last 24 months and he’s one of the least people to blame. But it’s still not fair or right.

This program demands our FULL support all season, if not just because, then because of last night. Remember thst when you’re thinking of staying home and watching the game on your big screen TVs

Comment

• Not going to read thru 57 pages of comments, but I'm guessing no one has any question about this teams heart. Questions about some things, but definitely not their heart and toughness. Very proud of our guys, really proud!

Without actually winning the game, I think taking the biggest team in the NCAA to overtime, and showing some of our old "Play Angry" grit, we have gained the attention of the nation. I feel much more confident going forward. The other stuff will work itself out as we progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    douchebag headband guy
                    An apt description

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                      This team is difficult to figure out, and we will have to see what progress is made down the road, because we do have athleticism, play making capabilities (although inconsistent), etc.

-Often we fall behind.
                      -Sometimes we catch up

They also consistently do not quit and bust their ass

Comment

It is 100% not fair that HCIB is having to learn on the job in this environment. I am NOT placing blame anywhere….this has been an impossible set of events over the last 24 months and he’s one of the least people to blame. But it’s still not fair or right.

This program demands our FULL support all season, if not just because, then because of last night. Remember thst when you’re thinking of staying home and watching the game on your big screen TVs
                        The games have been frustrating and not great on the heart.... But damn if they aren't fun and damn if this team isn't fun to cheer for when they are going all out even when things aren't going well

Comment

It is 100% not fair that HCIB is having to learn on the job in this environment. I am NOT placing blame anywhere….this has been an impossible set of events over the last 24 months and he’s one of the least people to blame. But it’s still not fair or right.

I will accept your comment on IB...but with a qualifier. Yes, he's "new" to his position. But he is not a newbie to coaching or to basketball. He's been "coaching" for 25 years. Some of the "decisions" he is making are quite questionable...you need to be a head coach for a long time to make better decisions, especially when you've been so immersed in the game for so long.

Comment

• One expert had Arizona by 5.
                            I think Vegas had Arizona by 9.

I said anything less than Arizona beating WSU by 20 would be a moral victory.

Arizona was clearly the better team.

Having said that, WSU played with a lot of heart and effort last night.

I was happy for them.

The coaches and players did a great job under tough circumstances.

Give a lot of credit to IB and the staff. I could not have coached WSU to overtime against Arizona last night with WSU's talent.

As Doc said, WSU deserves our complete support.

P.S. WSU could use another power forward this year. Does anyone know a player that's available?

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post

I will accept your comment on IB...but with a qualifier. Yes, he's "new" to his position. But he is not a newbie to coaching or to basketball. He's been "coaching" for 25 years. Some of the "decisions" he is making are quite questionable...you need to be a head coach for a long time to make better decisions, especially when you've been so immersed in the game for so long.
                              Some of everybody’s decisions are
                              questionable. Just this morning I opted for a bagel instead of a breakfast biscuit.

Comment

• Paging Mr. King, Mr. Tre King to the courtesy white phone please.

Comment

Working...
                                X